“A joy to visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 438 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the oldest zoos in Europe, established in 1866, features the hippopotamus, bred in captivity, and an animal nursery of lion and bear cubs.
Alexandria, Egypt
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“A joy to visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I read that it is the best zoo in the world, so I made sure I visit it. I went on the hottest day of the year there and the poor animals looked out of energy. However I enjoyed the visit tremendously and I've seen animals that I haven't seen before, like the one in Madagascar movie (but I can't remember its name!!) . It is very organized and the signs are everywhere so you won't get lost.

The zoo is family and children friendly with plenty of things to do and see.

The zoo is a few minutes away from Hero Square.

Visited August 2012

• Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
“Returning to the zoo after 5 years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am not a zoo fan in general, but loved this experience. I was there 5 years ago and there were a lot of new developments and programs. It is always good to see "new faces", like the baby elephant, the young lions and meerkats. Although there was a lot of traffic we could see everything we wanted with the kids and in a great atmosphere. I hope conditions are going to be even better soon (for the animals and visitors, too), now that they can widen the territory. We enjoyed the live shows and met the guy on the picture below :) (photo taken with a phone, sorry for the quality). My only regret was not to take the camera with me though it helped a lot to concentrate on the experience itself. We had a great time, and it was a good place in Budapest. Worth to see it!

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Sad to see animals in such a distressed state”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We went with high hopes to find so many animals,birds,monkeys all somewhat distressed and living in asmall dirty cramped environment . Compared to other Zoos we have visited the Budapest Zoo is not a animal friendly environment , the polar bear was encompassed in a tragic pen of types aimlessly marching to and fro along with the tiger and lions also in dirty pens very sad experience we weren't happy to see the animals in this state .

4 Thank Gavin J
Dollar
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“A Zoo worth seeing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I am not usually a fan of Zoos, preferring safari parks, however my daughter loves them so whilst in Budapest we went to the Zoo. It's not too big and easy to walk round over a half day or longer if you wanted. The animal enclosures looked good and te animals looked healthy. All in all a great little zoo.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Unique and fun experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Budapest Zoo is great value at about $11 per adult. It has a lot of animals and the enclosures are surprisingly "open". Here are some of our highlights:
1. Two-toed sloths were out in the open and could be touched
2. Saw a python having a rabbit for dinner
3. Interacted with a camel
4. Incredible gorilla habitat

The zoo is very clean and the enclosures are more natural (not a lot of cages). When we visited, many of the animals had given birth so there were lots of babies! Fun-filled day.

1 Thank MNtravelbugs02