“If you are a ZOOs lover do not miss this one”

Budapest Zoo & Botanical Garden
Ranked #32 of 478 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the oldest zoos in Europe, established in 1866, features the hippopotamus, bred in captivity, and an animal nursery of lion and bear cubs.
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We were told that the Budapest Zoo it is THE place to visit if you are with young children and although my 6 year old son enjoyed the visit I was a little disappointed with what I saw. On the + side: the ZOO is big and there are a lot of things to see. We especially liked the Japanese garden and the indoor exhibit in the MAGIC MOUNTAIN (Varázshegy). The playground is a nice break and my son loved it. There are also shows with the animals and we watched the one with the seals it was very good and all the children were wowed by the tricks the seals were doing. The people taking care for the animals seemed very nice and it was evident that they care and love them. On the - side: all the signs and animal information and are only in Hungarian, some of the animals looked sad and lethargic especially the polar bear and the gorillas. They were so sad just sitting or lying around and the big gorilla looked like his spirit was broken and you could see the sadness in his eyes. Overall - the Zoo is big with a lot of animals to see and being also a botanical garden there are beautiful gardens and plans as well with shows aimed at entertaining the children, but if you do not appreciate animals been locked up this is not a place for you.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The zoo is one of the oldest in the world and the whole of the park it is situated in is beautiful. The bulidings that house the animals such as elephant are unique. Although the zoo does not have the biggest variety of exotic animals my children enjoyed it. The main problem is that none of the signs in the zoo are in english and only a mediocre map is given at the entrance. My oldest wanted to read the information posted next to the animals but all were in hungarian. Food in the park is of low quality and expensive in relation to its quality. Theplay ground is nice and a welcome break in the middle of your tour through the zoo.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Everyone loves a good, Zoo, and this is definitely a good one. When planning our trip, this was definitely on the to do list, and it didn't disappoint. Lots of different animals to see and hold (goats in the petting zoo). The Sealions did an exceptionally good performance too. It started off a bit wet when we arrived, but soon turned into a lovely sunny day. Don't worry if you do get caught in the rain there are enough indoor enclosures to escape.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to this zoo on a sunny day during our holiday in Budapest. Overall we had a really good time - it's a lot larger than we thought it would be, and there is a wide selection of species to look at (including a lot of reptiles, which we love!). I think it helped that the day was very warm and sunny, as a lot of the animals were outside being active. We spent about 4 hours there (without sitting down as we looked at everything), so I would definitely say put aside a morning or afternoon - longer if you have children.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I have a thing about zoos, we love them. After relaxing at the baths we walked passed the zoo and felt compelled to go inside as we caught a glimpse of a baby orang-utan through the bushes from outside. It cost us about £7 entrance fee, which is definitely good value for money. I have never been to a zoo where the animals were so lively and so many babies. We saw baby meerkats, soooo adorable, baby elephant, quite difficult to get decent photo due to the wires of the enclosure, baby Gorilla, baby Giraffe, deer and best of all four lion cubs. There were other animals which were also great to view, polar bear, brown bears, tigers, jaguars, monkeys, birds, zebras, different wildebeasts and many more which we didn't have time to visit. Once of the most interesting points to make is that you feel very close to the animals - the lions, tigers, jaguars can be viewed through panes of glass and they walk right up to you. One thing to be careful off is the rhino enclosure. You can get right up to the wooden bars which are wide enough for arms with cameras to poke through and the rhinos will come right up close enough for you to touch them..... be careful with children but awesome for mad adults who like close encounters. The enclosures maybe a little dated but the animal experience is one not to be missed. - Would definitely re-visit

1  Thank Lorraine F