“Worth a couple of anyones hours.”

Budapest Zoo & Botanical Garden
Ranked #32 of 497 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the oldest zoos in Europe, established in 1866, features the hippopotamus, bred in captivity, and an animal nursery of lion and bear cubs.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We got in free with our Budapest card and stayed for only a couple of hours. It was a cold February day but still a very worthwhile visit. The zoo was almost empty of people which obviously made things a bit easier. Without a doubt the highlights were the Gorillas and Tigers. Photography was easy as you could get a clear view of all the animals. (Lens right up to the bars and an aperture of f2.8 renders the bars almost invisible) I got my best ever Tiger photos here and would recommend a visit to anyone. Except the animal rights nutters.

2  Thank Le Bert M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,111)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were coming back from our Barcelona trip and had a whole afternoon in Budapest till the flight to Sofia.

And we spent an unforgettable 4 hours - all in the zoo of Budapest. Summer is a perfect time to visit it.(As is the winter as I see from other comments). May be there isn`t unsuitable season for this zoo. :)

I had my period at that moment and a lot of ache. Despite that my son and me were like 2 kids who enjoy every single detail - from the playful and fearless lemurs greeting you at one of the entrances to the lazy hippos laying in the deep shades at the exit...

Recommend it for more than 4 hours - spend a day there if you can.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to the zoo in the middle of a very cold snowy day so weren't expecting much but it was great. We got in for free on our Budapest card and spent the whole afternoon strolling around but probably on saw half the zoo. Unfortunately we were going home the day after or we would have gone back to see the rest. Children will love it but adults will have an equally good time

1  Thank jo9937
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We never actually made the zoo! I've rated it on an average of other reviewers. Thanks to the Budapest Trip Advisors android app and the wrong location on the map we walked 1.5 miles in the wrong direction! Not happy at all as the girlfriend had an injured leg but put on a brave face, only to find out we were now 3 miles from the zoo as it really was 1.5 miles the other side of our set off point! Wasted a couple of hours of our day too. THE ZOO IS NEAR HEROES SQUARE so if the map still says it's out the back of the castle it's wrong. I have told TA about it but thought i should warn other travellers of the issue!

1  Thank Bikeronnie
Reviewed February 16, 2013

It was my first time visiting the Budapest Zoo. The last time was in the summer, and it was before the renovation.
Even if most of the animals were inside this time around, it was still a great place to visit, especially because it gave me the feeling that they are treated as they should be, as opposed to other zoos, where you can't help but feel sorry for them.
As far as zoos go, this one has everything you'll want to see - it also has some very interesting attractions for kids and an area that chronicles the appearance of man on this planet. Unfortunately, it's mostly in Hungarian, so if you don't speak the language, it won't do too much for you.
Even so, you can check out the elephants, hippopotamuses, giraffes, reptiles and whatnot, even during winter.
Just an advice, though - be there early. The buildings where animals are kept during winter - and some during summer, too - close at 15,30 and you risk missing out a lot.
Other than that, great place, very well organized, well worth a visit.
Oh, and the zoo's buildings are simply stunning, too.

1  Thank BogdanOradea_RO