“Slightly disappointing”

Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace
Ranked #3 of 335 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I love Four Seasons. I've been in a number of 4S hotels around Europe, and every time it was just fabulous: location, heritage, luxury, service and quality at its best. I'm a travel photographer and I try to find best spots in every location. Look at the pictures of Gresham Palace at their website: there is a stunning view from the hotel to the Chain Bridge and Buda district. Want to see this beauty, share it with your friends or leave the life time memory on a photo? You have two choices: 1) Forget it; 2) Pay for the Royal, Presidental, Crown or Tower Suite. In most other rooms you will have one of the the most boring views ever. So, let's try to have a chat with the concierge about photo opportunities:
- I want to take a picture of Chain Bridge which is placed on your website. Can you help me?
- Noway, it's impossible. We don't have any roof terrace.
- Maybe you suggest me a place where I can take this kind of picture?
- Uhmm, well, dunno, maybe you should go the other side of the Danube and take picture there...
- Picture of what? Picture of Gresham Palace? Thanks, got it.

There was a couple of problems with Wi-Fi access and other things, which are not acceptable for the 4S hotel - IMHO.

Yes, I will recommend this hotel anyway but please, mates, ask about everything in advance. And you will be happy staying in a best spot in Budapest. Good luck!

Room Tip: Ask for a view!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Anton F
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for your feedback posted on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace. I completely understand that being a well-experienced travel photographer and discerning traveler, also quite familiar with the Four Seasons level of service, unfortunately this time we did not meet your expectation of our property.

Thank you for sharing your communication with our Concierge staff who obviously did not react friendly and accommodating enough to your kind request for finding the right spot from where you could have taken a nice picture of the Castle District and the Chain Bridge. I would like to apologize if any of our staff members did not address you appropriately. Also sorry for the wifi access problem and also please feel free to contact me directly for the “other things” which went wrong.

Thank you again for your productive feedback.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June 2013. W were so fortunate to have simply fantastic sunny weather even though the Danube was rising very quickly every day. I must agree with many of the other reviews of this hotel that it is extremely difficult to fault it in any way. The staff are amazing. So professional and yet friendly, helpful and attentive, I really do not believe anyone could find a better hotel in the whole of Budapest. The standard of the decor and fittings are as you would expect from Four Seasons, tasteful and high quality, but it the staff who make just that little difference that makes the whole experience worth mentioning.
The location of the Gresham Palace at one end of the chain bridge gives you the opportunity to view the Danube and the castle district on the Buda side from your room if you pay the small charge to upgrade to that side of the hotel. Well worth the supplement in my opinion.
If your budget allows do give this hotel a try I am sure you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: Do upgrade to a Danube river view room it is worth every forint
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mu35
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

It is great to read your comments posted on Tripadvisor public website about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you and your husband liked the architecture and the interior designs of the Palace, as well as you were amazed by the view over the Danube and the Castle District, mentioning that it was well worth the supplement for the upgrade to a river view room.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here for two nights prior to boarding a Danube river cruise and enjoyed every second of it. The building itself has been meticulously restored and is very interesting -- from the minute you walk in, you know you're somewhere special. We had perfect support from members of the staff, ranging from the driver who picked us up at the airport to the staff who had placed flowers and sparkling wine in my in-laws room to mark a wedding anniversary to the concierge who gave us excellent dining recommendations. We also enjoyed unwinding each night in the small but cozy bar and trying the various Palinkas on offer. I would agree with other reviewers who say to spring for the Danube-facing rooms; ours was on the fourth floor and was spectacular. Breakfast in the dining room was more than fine, despite some slightly harried servers and host.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Danube are worth the extra cost -- we were in 424 and 425, toward the middle of the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

I would like to thank you for your passionate words regarding our beautifully renovated Palace. I was pleased to read that you appreciated the fine details, as fantastic results of the careful restoration of a historical building. I really appreciate your compliments regarding the services provided by the Limousine Driver, Concierge and Room Service as well as the quality of our breakfast.

Our aim is to provide a personalized experience for each and every one of our guests and I am happy to learn that overall we succeeded to contribute to your family celebration that I hope was truly a memorable one.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Hotel was a surprise arrived to find the most well appointed hotel in Budapest, right infront of the Chain Bridge and in a stunning fine art nouveau building. The hotel reception is huge and very architecturally interesting too. The reception staff were welcoming, and the room was modern and tastefuly decorated but a little on the small side, even the bathroom I think was bigger than the bedroom! But as I spent very little time in the room I guess it didnt really matter.

The restaurant was lovely, very bright and airy, breakfast was lovely but rather expensive. The waiting staff are very helpful though. The hotel has a lovely bar, but very small, but I guess that creates the nice intimate atmosphere that it had. Drinks were rather pricey though, but guess thats what you would expect from the Four Seasons.

Room Tip: Get a Danube view Room, the view is lovely at night when the bridge is lit up.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

It is great to read your comments posted on Tripadvisor public website about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you liked the architecture and the interior designs of the Palace, as well as you were amazed by the view over the Chain bridge.

Your kind remarks on the lovely atmosphere in our restaurant and bar, along with the accommodating service provided by our staff in our outlets are very much appreciated.

It is great to read that even considering the pricing element you thought it was worth to stay at the Four Seasons.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

You can't. Fantastic facade, GREAT hotel, amazing location. Loved the views from the Buda side of the Chain Bridge, Gresham Palace, and St Stephens Basilica. We had drinks at the Four Seasons which was fantastic as usual.

1  Thank jhap
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Everything about the hotel was excellent!!! Great location, clean, beautiful, tasty, the staff service was perfect, nice breakfast, the architecture is absolutely gorgeous! It's not a inexpensive hotel but I highly recommended. The view from the Danubio River I had from my room was dream. I would come back for sure!

Room Tip: Danubio River view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paula N
YvesGiacometti, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

It is so gratifying to read your feedback regarding your experience at Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace Budapest last year, especially to learn that you still cherish great memories of your stay with us since September.

I am truly thankful for nice remarks regarding the hotel’s location, architecture and décor.
Thank you also for the positive comments in relation to our employees.

It is great to learn that you enjoyed your time at the Hotel and that you would highly recommend our facilities and services.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We read all the hype about this hotel before we stayed and I was certain it could not live up to expectations - I was wrong. This is without doubt one of the finest hotels we have ever stayed in. Despite arriving dusty from the road on our motorcycle, door staff were quick to welcome us, offer us a cold water and help with our luggage. There is secure undercover parking (a valet service for those with a car). The public spaces are beautifully and tastefully decorated and the rooms are perfect from the L'Occitane toiletries in the bathroom to the soft cotton sheets. A very wide selection of English television channels, complimentary WiFi (for one device) and bottles of water provided at turn down are nice touches. The restaurant serves good food at a reasonable price for dinner, but 32 Euros a person for breakfast is a bit steep, unless you intend to fuel up for the entire day. We will certainly recommend this hotel to all who can afford the price tag.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer H

It is great to learn that your recent experience at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace Budapest has been an extremely positive one, even going beyond and above your expectations.
Although it is always nice to read positive comments on our hotel’s facilities, public spaces, cuisine and amenities, still the biggest pleasure is learning about our staff’s excellence.

I am very happy to learn that our door staff were true Four Seasons ambassadors who greatly contributed to your memorable experience in our hotel, by greeting you at the door and offering you cold water refreshment after a long and exhausting trip you spent on the road with a motorcycle.