“Four Seasons Budapest - a hidden treasure!”

Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace
Ranked #3 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Nice, France
“Four Seasons Budapest - a hidden treasure!”
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I must tell you, both Budapest and the Fours Seasons in that city are hidden treasures!
If they call George V to be the number one hotel of the world, than they should check out this hotel, too!
The lobby is just amazing with a glass dome, a huge chrystal chandelier that looks like floating above the Front Desk, beautiful mosaic tiles under your feet, and unbelievable what ironwork, glasswork and tiles are throughout the whole building!
The basic rooms are quite small, just as in Prague, if you can afford, try the Gresham rooms, one of the largest, or even better, the corner suites, called here Park Suites. I stayed in 312, what an amazing room with spectacular views over the Danube river, Chain bridge, Castle district! Simply amazing!
Staff is very helpful, attentive, and discreet, not too pushy...
Concierge seems somewhat lost, they just keep up mixing up confirmation cards for different restaurants and concerts but as I can read it, it happens to almost everyone here and I also noticed at other Four Seasons, that Concierge is the weakest link. :)
Hungarian food is world famous, and Kavehaz knows how to make it even better, a definite must even if you not stay there!
Prices are ok compared to other hotels of the chain, also spa is very nice with a special swimming pool and cool jacuzzi, check it out!
They also have nice flower decorations, almost as beautiful as in Paris, the shop is a 15 min. walk from the hotel called Arioso, they sell nice home decor stuff and other things, too.

• Liked — Location, Building itself, Attentive Service
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Weaverville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 11, 2008

Just walking into the Gresham Palace (Four Seasons) takes your breath away...beautiful tile work, stained glass. The staff were unfailing courteous and helpful, especially when we, dressed in jeans and exhausted from a long flight found that our luggage had not made it to the airport.
Our room, that we shared w/ our 10 yr old, was spacious and I loved my morning swims in the spa pool on the 5th floor.

• Liked — Where to start...EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stratford on Avon, Warks.
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Just returned from Four Seasons and loved the place. Gorgeous building in very central position. We upgraded to a fourth floor room with balcony overlooking the bridge / danube which in the daytime and nightime was a lovely view . Hotel staff brilliant, very attentive and helpful. Beds extremely comfortable although rooms not massive but more than adequate for five nights. Spa is nice with good facilities. Would definately stay there again and recommend it. Only thing to watch out for is the corners on some of the furniture in room - very sharp. My wife gently stubbed her toe and split it quite badly . Apart from that faultless.

• Liked — service ,architecture and position
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jimbo
Suffolk
Reviewed February 16, 2008

This was my second stay in the FS and it is still, the best hotel I have ever stayed in. A wonderful FS driver was waiting to meet us (I called in advance) and we were whisked to the hotel in a gorgeous Merc.

On arrival I was welcomed back, and the girl at check-in could not have been more charming and attentive. She took me to the room and 2 minutes later another member of staff arrived with a plate of delicious pastries. A hand written note from the manager was on the desk welcoming me back, with a fruit basket! I must add at this point that I was in the lowest grade of room, at just €210 per night, for just 2 nights. Very wonderful, welcoming service, that made me feel like a really valued guest.

The room was typical FS understated luxury - fantastic huge bathroom, beautiful linens, bathrobes & pillows and a bed so comfortable one shouldn't be here on business as its too difficult to leave it!

Everything about this hotel is stunning from the amazing renovations, to the incredible staff. I ate in the Kavehas resturant three times, and our waiter Tibor, was charming, attentive and extremely knowledgable of the city, its attractions, history and how it has changed. Like many FS staff, Tibor has lived across the world and is an asset to this outstanding hotel group.

I could go on and on - this is simply a great hotel - the best I have ever stayed in - and I have stayed in hundreds, see other reviews. The FS Budapest is also the best kept secret in Europe at €210 per night. Compare this with any other capital city in Europe and you realise what a steal a stay in this hotel really is. I love the FS group but can't afford to stay in them very often, but my true feeling is that whenever I have been fortunate enough to stay with them, I have always had an incredible hotel experience and have always felt that they are excellent value for money.

The FS Budapest is a historical landmark and one of the finest examples of Secession architecture anywhere and the courtesy they show to people coming in off the street, who have been told they must see it typifies the FS dedication to service. You don't have to stay here to be treated as a valued guest. I witnessed one of the doormen guiding two tourists around the lobby and explaining the history of the building. He didn't have to do this, they were not guests and they may well never be, but the staff are so PROUD of this wonderful hotel and so they should be. They should also be very proud of themselves.

• Liked — Absolutly everything
  • Disliked — Nothing at all
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tryanythingonce
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night on the freeway to Budapest. I was now clocking 4000km around Europe in a 2-seater. I had no idea where I was because the navigation didnt cover Budapest. I followed all of the signs to "centrum" meaning the centre of town. There I was driving around, missing signs, no bookings and after all that I managed to find the Danube which is a good thing because it means that all of the hotels are nearby. Somehow I managed to find Gresham Palace via 90% of the tourist sights, thanks to some other wrong turns. Upon arrival I noticed that I was at the Four Seasons and immediately had thoughts as to the prices of George V in Paris. At the worst case I could park the car and get my bearings.

The first offer I was given seemed more than I wanted to spend and the reception staff kindly gave me a city map and marked the locations of 5 other quality hotels. I proceeded to explore all of these options only to find that it was rather close to the offer at the Gresham. The difference at worst was only 20% and I promptly got back to where I started. The porter greeted me with "Nice to see you again" and Balint at the reception "Welcome Back". These were sincere greetings and I had seen the error of my ways. Without fuss we got down to some serious negotiating. The second round of offers included a room upgrade due to the amount of luggage on hand and the Winter Promotion. I settled into my luxurious Gresham Room - approx 70m square (about 700sq feet).

The bed is amazing, the pillows (the kind you vanish into and can no longer be seen) and linen of the highest order. The bathroom immaculate and the inclusions with robe, slippers and name-brand luxury soaps. The first night was a great sleep after my massage shower and salt bath, which seemed all the more special for the way in which my unbooked stay was handled. On the following morning I explored Budapest extensively and retreated to a spa and sauna experience in the rooftop pool area. I enjoyed the teas, fruits and abundant supply of towels and inclusions. The concierge spent quite a while looking after my next destination and delivered some very useful hotel information in a sealed envelope. By the end of 24 hours every member of staff on duty knew my last name and all of the door staff knew my car.

I have been to Paris and Budapest has to be a an equal version of the romantic city. It is less crowded, very clean and the exhibits dont require unreasonable waiting times. The prices are very reasonable and the cafes offer both Hungarian meals and generic Western meals. It is clear to me why there are so many French and Italian visitors to Budapest.

At night I would invite my friends over for pre-dinner drinks which I made with Blueberry juice on ice. Without hesitation the hotel provided additional slippers for my guests so that we could all sit around and enjoy the luxury whilst catching up with news. Thereafter the Kyoto Japanese restaurant was a great dining experience and directly next door to the hotel. At around 10pm you prepare yourself for the most exotic experience of Budapest. This is the late night mineral baths built by the Turks in the Ottoman Era. These operate till 2am and cost very little. Just be sure to take footwear, a day bag with swimming clothes and a towel. The water baths vary from 25C to 42C and it is traditional to sample each one if you are up for it.

Once you have taken in all of the hotel offerings, the sights and tastes of the city and the special places you will start to think about coming back. The city is seductive, the people are warm and the hotel is a shining example of the guest experience - every detail will be taken care of.

Features of the room
------------------------------
- Huge Gresham Room
- Ample storage space
- Luxurious carpet
- Clean
- Drapery
- Linen
- Marble bathroom and its night light
- Salt Bath
- L'Occitane products and free slippers

Features of the Hotel
------------------------------
- Excellent staff
- Personal service
- High security
- Expensive parking
- Central location
- Numerous bars and places to hide
- Splendid restoration

- Parliament, Baths, University, Palace Hill
- Juan Miro cafe
- Drug Stores with excellent juices
- Jazz Bars

When using the trams or metro you simply purchase the unused transport tags and punch them as needed. One tag per ride.

• Liked — Quality in all things
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
17 Thank miroj
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Much delayed review!

Divided our stay between Prague and Budapest.

We love the Four Seasons and stay there whenever we can—as far as the hotel is concerned, the Gresham is breathtaking---superb, well deserving of all of the fabulous reviews. Truly luxurious, from the grand lobby to each and every floor.

Rooms are impeccable—spotless, very comfortable. They use some fragrant powder when they clean, making the halls and rooms smell wonderful every day.
Location cannot be beat—directly facing the Chain Bridge and the Buda castle, walking distance to the Parliament and anywhere else. Walked nearly everywhere, down to the Vasarcsarnok, across the Danube to Buda castle and the Fisherman’s Bastion (granted, not all in the same day!).

The hotel car service is flawless and very professional with English-speaking drivers.

The spa and fitness center are beautiful---bring your bathing suit to use their nearly always empty pool and Jacuzzi (at least they were during our stay). They even have a sauna and steam room for your use, along with complimentary tea service and fruits.

And the restaurant---over the top. Had a tough time deciding between Grundels and Pava (the restaurant at the hotel). Based on endless lit searches and reading through as many reviews as I could, I decided on the latter and am so glad we dined there. The presentation, flavors, selections—could not have asked for a more exquisite way to end our stay in this historic city.

And the concierge service—never have I received such prompt replies (all within 24 hours—both from here and from the Four Seasons in Prague). Remarkable—there were a couple of reservations (which I had confirmed via email a week prior to arrival) that were “misplaced” at the restaurant but this was never a problem. One thing—they expect you to “check in” with the concierge to pick up your reservation cards (unlike every other hotel where they are given to you at check in or placed under your door). Based on forum entries, the reservation problems do not sound unique to our situation—I always carry the confirmation cards (or in this case, the confirmation email) with my itinerary wherever I go!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank pursuit
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 19, 2007

Just returned home from three nights and I cannot write enough superlatives about this amazing hotel.

It is truly a palace with one of the most visually stunning lobbies, a perfect blend of century old architecture and sophisticated, modern decor and amenities.

The lobby bar is a stunner and draws you back each night to relax and enjoy the atmosphere...be sure to face the lobby and the incredible Czech crystal chandelier.

Both restaurants are among the finest in the city with ceiling to floor windows facing the Danube, Chain Bridge and Castle Hill on the Buda side of the river.

Service throughout is over the top even by Four Seasons standards.

All this comes at a price, nearly $1000 a night for a Deluxe room facing the Danube. But the view here is a must, so splurge and don't settle for the much cheaper no-view rooms.

My only beef is the the outrageous (even for Four Seasons and for Europe) internet connection fee. Hint: Use your iphone with AT&T Worldplan.

Stayed December 2007