“Surreal to see all of these Socialist Monuments in one place”
Review of Memento Park

Ranked #62 of 508 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The final resting place for fallen Communist statues, including those of Lenin, Marx and Engels, plus memorial plaques that were removed after the downfall of the Communist regime.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I'm a history nerd, and I especially am fascinated with the post-communist states in Eastern Europe. It was really cool to see all of these famous socialist monuments in one place (sort of like a socialist disneyland). It is crazy, at least for me, to see a statue of Lenin and what it symbolized for these former countries. The staff was really friendly and had a great amount of information regarding the monuments. A little bit outside Budapest...I took the bus and it was no problem, although it felt like you were going into rural Hungary. I would definitely recommend to any history enthusiast.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"small exhibition"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I had been looking forward to this but were disappointed. We expected a much greater quantity of statues than were there.

Some of the statues were more interesting than others, of course, but really it was the quantity that disappointed us.

The best part of the exhibit was the movie which was a training film for potential spies!

The next best part was the bus ride out that allowed us to see a lot of city and countryside that we wouldn't have seen other wise.

Perhaps our guide book raved a little too much about this because we were not impressed. We'll spend our time elsewhere on our next visit to Budapest.

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I (30) really enjoyed our time at Memento Park and consider it our favorite place whilst in Hungary.
But to properly make it worthwhile it is really important you take the guide. It helped to give the statues and their individual historical meaning as well as put the whole Park into context, which has been very cleverly designed with great symbolic meaning.
All in all we were there for a little over an hour. We took public transport there and had no troubles. when taking the 50 bus, please note the stand is pretty much outside the doors of the shopping Centre - not the 50e bus shelter.

1  Thank stormborne
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Caught the bus which was an easier to get to the park. The place itself would probably only take half an hour to tour if you didn't have a guide. Having a guide who could explain each exhibit made it all come to life. We had a few minutes free time afterwards to get some photos and watch the file in the barracks outside the park. Worth a visit.