“Don't let the surrounding area dissuade you”
Review of Aquincum Museum

and up
Budapest Card
Ranked #102 of 478 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: The remains of a former military garrison of the Roman province of Pannonia include a large amphitheater for 1,600 spectators.
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We took the suburban tram (#5) up to Aquincum and walked to the site on our own. The area seemed much like the side of a highway but we wanted so badly to see the ruins that we kept going; it paid off. The ruin garden was fantastic. Try to find the information signs to guide your walk through. They will tell you what the layout was like and what each space was (kitchen, bath, etc.). My bf and I took so many pictures; we spent many hours here. It was extremely hot so we were glad we brought water, but there was also a small cafe inside the museum. We had been told that the place has lost much of its government support and it showed. I personally didn't mind the abandoned buildings but it gave a sad feeling to the place. I really feel that visitors to Budapest should set aside time to see this piece of history and show their support so that it doesn't become lost to the world once more.

1  Thank jrain10

Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

I have to admit, my gf and I are very much interested in Roman history. I don't think this museum would be interesting to anyone who doesn't like seeing what Budapest looked like in those days.

We really enjoyed a visit to the very modern museum which made me wish I was a kid again. It features some very entertaining games both indoors and outdoors.

The outdoor area features ruins and found artifacts all labeled and translated to Magyar and (thank God) English.

A visit to a reconstructed painter's house is also recommended.

The site also includes 2 chronoscopes where you can view a live digital reconstruction of what the ruins (probably) looked liked in Roman times.

Worth a visit if you want to get out of the super tourist'y areas.

1  Thank Gabriel1986
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Excellent Roman site outside of Italy. Features an entire town layout with how they lived and has real artifacts in the museum

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I love Roman history and this open air museum was a unique experience. One of the better preserved Roman sites I have been to with so much of it open to peruse and explore. The museum on site has a lot of artifacts and information on Aquincum and the Pannonia region. Transport was excellent with a short walk to the museum and fairly priced. Amphitheatre not far away either