“Perhaps the Most Interesting Synagogue in Europe”

Great / Central Synagogue (Nagy Zsinagoga)
Book In Advance
$17.02*
Budapest Private 20th-Century History Tour
Ranked #32 of 475 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: The world's second-largest synagogue, featuring a room that holds three thousand people, is a center for the large Jewish community of Budapest.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We visited this synagogue without knowing what to expect. However, the ornate design, the amazingTree of Life sculpture, and the memorial garden all won us over. We really liked it.

There are newer reviews for Great / Central Synagogue (Nagy Zsinagoga)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We actually paid for a guided tour, which was to include synagogue and gardens, with entry to the museum. Our group had a couple minutes with one guide when they switched us to another guide, who, and I can only say rushed through the history of the synagogue, then told us our ticket included the museum and gardens, gave a brief overview of the gardens, then left us in the synagogue. So no we did not get what we thought we had paid for...when we got to the gardens it was obivious why she rushed out as she had another group in garden, with their voice boxes! I did complain after we left and was offered another tour, however as we had other commitments we had to decline, and I do not think we would have wanted to redo the tour again even if we had the time. I do not think it was value for money, compared to other sites elsewhere. It is however worth a visit if you are interested, as this synagogue is different to others seen and the site is interesting if you are wanting to know about Jewish History in Budapest... whether it is value for money is a question?

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The young lady giving the tour was excellent in giving a detailed account of the Jewish faith, how that was carried out in the synagogue and the trials faced during the German deportations in 44. This was all pretty lengthy but interesting. The building itself was restored after the 1989 return to the West, as nothing was done in the Russian era. It looks very nice and the ladies galleries in particular and the building generally were very well done. The graves in the area by the walkway from 1945 were poignant and the history in the museum was well explained. Interesting info also on the formation of jewry in Europe over the last 1200 years. Worth a visit.

I also visited the Basilica where I was asked for a contribution of 200 Forint and the whole place was wonderful. For the synagogue the entrance fee (not a request) was about 13 times that amount. I have seen other comments on the price of admission and have to say that I also found it high and unusual for a religious building.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We wanted to enter, we entered but we only went around, so they charge an entrance fee of about 11 USD. We did not enter, such in Christian curches we do not pay we thought that there must not be payed a fee for to enter in a temple for to give solidarity to a religious community.

1  Thank masmiguelDusseldorf
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I spend part of mu time just looking outside. We didn't enter. But to see outside is really worth. I took nice pictures. The building is impressive. It is the second biggest synagogue in the world. The first in Europe.