Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Allami Operahaz)

Ways to Experience Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Allami Operahaz)
from $46.40
from $41.80
from $23.00
from $16.80
7,470 results
All reviews mini concert beautiful building guided tour royal box la boheme take photos different languages performance auditorium stage arias tickets nutcracker acoustics interval interior intermission
Reviewed June 12, 2018

Touring the opera house was high on our list of things to do during our return trip to Budapest. We arrived well in advance of the scheduled tour time only to learn that the building was undergoing renovations and as a result you cannot tour the stage and main auditorium, which is basically what we came to see. When I asked what we do get to see I was told the grand staircase, some hallways and other areas and that there would be two arias at the end sung to recorded music. When I stated that we had come to see the performance hall, the person said to me "everyone wants to see the auditorium". I looked at my wife and we both kind of said forget it, so we left. We are not opera "buffs" so the arias meant little to us, we had come to see the building and all its grandeur. I know that in the past, the arias were an option at an additional cost, so I guess they have thrown them in because parts of the building are not accessible. People serious about opera may want to take the tour for the arias, but for people like us you may want to save your money.

1  Thank Coldbrew
Reviewed June 11, 2018

Booked early in the day for the 4pm English tour. Even though there is lots of scaffolding around the building a tour inside the Opera House is well worth it.The main stage area is closed for much needed renovations but this should not stop you doing the tour. There is still plenty to see. The tour finishes with a short performance by two excellent opera singers.

1  Thank 191susa
Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

Very old beautiful building decorated with lots of oil on canvas old paintings and many beautiful sculptures. The local in house opera guide is , the two opera singers were terrific!

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed June 8, 2018 via mobile

Until this trip I had very little interest in opera but now I would love to go back and see a full production!!

We were on the English 4pm tour on Thursday 7th June. Tours were also in Hungarian and Spanish. Our tour guide was called Emma and she was absolutely fantastic. Very engaging and informative.

We also got treated to a mini concert from two amazing singers. They were really talented and there was even some audience participation

Date of experience: June 2018
2  Thank Alison D
Reviewed June 8, 2018

We really enjoyed the building and the tour. Even though the main performance space was closed due to renovation, a few of the singers still performed for us on the stairway. Their voices were great and we really enjoyed it!