“Good tour but busy”

Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Allami Operahaz)
Book In Advance
Ranked #10 of 438 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This magnificent new-Renaissance style structure, completed in 1884 and modeled after the Vienna Opera House, is home to both the State Opera and the State Ballet.
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Good tour but busy”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The tour we had on sunday afternoon was very good, the place was packed and the tours often criss cross each other, good guides and well worth the money

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Rockford, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Hungarian State Opera House”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Beautiful! We did not get to an opera, but the opera house is beautiful. Just to go in for photos was enough, but a concert would have been awesome.

DCR
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A night at the opera”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We booked late but were able to get two tickets (apart) to see Faulstaff a Verdi opera. Great seats great atmosphere but WARNING read a synopsis of opera before you go as they sing in Italian and have Hungarian subtitles.
A beautiful building and special night.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wonderful, despite ill mannered usher”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Gorgeous opera house, really impressive.
We went to see Giselle and took a couple of pictures with our mobile just before the show started (everybody else was doing the same).
On the intermission the usher came to me speaking Hungarian; he changed to English as he realized I could not understand and asked me to delete the pictures I took, once it was forbidden. I apologized, I did not know it was forbidden and haven't seen any sign about that. He made me feel like a criminal. I opened my phone and asked him which ones he wanted me to delete. I had several pictures from the building and din't know what was allowed or not.
That didn't make him behave in a more pleasant way, and we left the play at that point.
I guess there are always many ways to say the same thing and transmit the same message.
Despite his youth I could sense some soviet authoritarianism in his manners. Too bad.

Singapore
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Beautiful interiors!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We took the guided tour to view the interiors. The building is indeed beautiful. The seats, the columns, the boxes... It's easy to get a ticket for the tour. Just show up at the souvenir shop. They also have a mini concert after the tour. We didn't stayed as we are rushing to the house of terror.