Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Allami Operahaz)
Book In Advance
$61*
and up
Small-Group Budapest History Walking Tour: Communism, Revolution, WWI and WWII
Ranked #10 of 386 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This magnificent new-Renaissance style structure, completed in 1884 and modeled after the Vienna Opera House, is home to both the State Opera and the State Ballet.
Dundalk
“What value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We saw a couple of months ago that Madame Butterfly would be on whilst we were in Budapest, and looked at on-line booking and saw plenty of seats available. Decided to wait until we arrived before buying tickets, but then took another look just 3 days before we left home and, panic stations, saw only a handful of seats left. So we booked online (self printed ticket) for the huge sum of 500HUF each (my credit card has been charged €3.40 in total!!) At that price we were expecting a large pillar in front of us, but at least it wouldn't affect hearing the opera.

We had to enter through a side door, and climb seemingly endless flights of stone steps (rather austere in fact) before reaching a bar area and entry into the auditorium itself.

Wow! - such a contrast to the stairway,so breathtaking with gold decorations everywhere.

We were on the top circle and our seats were on the top row to the side. No pillar obscuring the view, but we could only see a third of the stage or just over half if we stood up. There were however large Video screens either side of the stage.

A thoroughly enjoyable performance and experience all for less than £3!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Very Specil”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have never taken in opera in the past. I don't know that I will again. But the opera house is something so fantastic, it was worth the visit just for the experience. Opera in Italian with Hungarian written banner. But we loved it.

Visited December 2012
Athens, Greece
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“It worths a visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was amazed by the surrounding of the Opera.It was big,it had a lot of gold :) It really worths going there and watching a performance.I watched "Madama Butterfly"!The ticket is very cheap.I paid 1300 HUF,about 5euros and I could see very good from my seat!

About Budapest,you can also read my critics about the Bo18 Hotel Superior and the Museum of Ethnography.

1 Thank Aphrodite T
York, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Fantastic night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Saw the ballet here.It was such good value.£23 each.Fantastic night.Beautiful surroundings and the performance was superb.

London, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“super”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Finally, I was able to visit Budapest, a magnificent city with lots of historical places - I was very impressed by the beauty of Danube who is crossing through the city and you can Buda and Pesta both :)
really wanted to say how impressed I was :).