“A bit disorganized, but nice collection”

Budapest History Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$22.81*
and up
Budapest Card
Ranked #97 of 478 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: Permanent collections at this prestigious museum include the Medieval Royal Palace of the Buda Castle, Budapest In the Middle Ages and Gothic Sculptures from the Royal Palace of Buda.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We could not figure out where to go in the museum to track with the audio tape (which would have taken two days to listen to!). Nevertheless, the museum had a good collection and really gave you a feel for how many times this country has been overrun! If you can only choose one museum, opt for the House of Terror on Andrassy instead.

1  Thank Laurie B

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Really informative museum!
You do not need to buy audio support - they have translated the full story for reading around the museum. Also when you arrive; do not spend time despairing in the ruins of the basement level - spend 10 minutes here and then hurry up on the higher floors: This is really a great museum - just not in the basement where the knowledge is scattered and the translations even scarcer.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

It is a very nice museum in my opinion, for a tourist interested in history (in this case, budapest history - this covers the local history since roman empire up to the communist days). This is comparable to the good museums I ever visited, with many rooms/floors and many things with good labels and audioguides to learn about. Located at the famous "budapest palace".

The funny thing (and weird one) is that, neither my tour company's guide nor our budapest local tour guide knew about this museum! I knew about, because I have one of those famous tourism books that I bought in Brazil (my homeland), so me and my wife went alone to this museum.
Otherwise, I would never visit that.

Due to this lack of guide's information about it, I thought I would get there and see something small and deteriorated. But I was glad it is the opposite.

My hint: I went in april-2013. By that time, they accepted neither Euro (cash) nor credit cards in the museum entrance, so be prepared and take some local currency (in cash) with you!

I can not rank it with a grade or something like that, because this depends on your background and expectation. What I can tell you is that the overall experience was very good for us.

1  Thank Rider_9
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I just love it! Not boring,really interesting,few floors showing Hungary during the centuries. Love especially the basement.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This very good museum is situated in a wing of the old place. There is a nice, large collection of things relating to the palace and to Budapest.