“Good museum in a fantastic location”

Budapest History Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$22.85*
and up
Budapest Card
Ranked #89 of 477 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: Permanent collections at this prestigious museum include the Medieval Royal Palace of the Buda Castle, Budapest In the Middle Ages and Gothic Sculptures from the Royal Palace of Buda.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This museum is in a great location, in the Royal Palace on the hill overlooking Budapest. The basement area is particularly interesting - a warren of passageways and staircases connecting rooms from different phases of the castle's history.

The main exhibition areas on the higher floors are a fairly standard progression through the history of the city of Budapest. I felt it covered similar ground to the Hungarian National Museum (which is arranged in a more interesting way).

There's a small cafe and shop at the entrance, and you can get an audio guide covering some sections of the museum.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I really enjoyed this museum, especially the floor where the whole history of the city was laid out for you chronologically with maps and helpful synopses. I had no idea of how chaotic the history of the city was. Also some very nice artifacts from prehistory onward. If you have a Budapest Card it's 50% off! Only cost me 900 forints. Well worth it.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The basement and ground floor are nice, but we really enjoyed the exhibit on the first floor. It highlighted the history of Budapest for the last 1000-2000 years, providing a really great understanding of how the city (and Hungary) were shaped by internal and external forces. If you are also planning to visit the Hungarian National Museum but know very little about Hungarian history, start here to get a grounding in the history basics.

2  Thank Amy M
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This museum houses an broad collection artefacts relating to the history of Budapest and Hungary. Unfortunately a large section detailing the more recent history of Budapest was closed for renovation. Many of the descriptions were only in Hungarian which was disappointing for a national museum.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have been looking forward to visiting this museum for some time and finally had the chance to do so today. Armed with the knowledge provided by other reviewers, I knew that the layout is not intuitive and that many of the displays are not in English so I planned to rent an audio guide. The signs aren't clear, but one can be rented at the same counter where tickets are purchased. When I asked for one, however, the response was that they don't work. Thoughts of a peaceful afternoon being immersed in the museum gone, I asked for a map and learned that they were out of the English version.

It is hard to give a good review of this museum because I don't know what I was looking at a good deal of the time, and it isn't a certainty that I saw the whole thing though I tried. Without context it wasn't as meaningful as it could have been. As it was, the experience was worth the 1500 HUF entrance fee- the lower levels were my favorite, particularly the cistern (I think) and the lower chapel.

Overall, if you're interested in the history of Budapest I can recommend a visit, but bring a guide book or map if you want to learn what the museum holds.