“A rich collection of Arts”

Hungarian National Gallery (Magyar Nemzeti Galeria)
Book In Advance
Ranked #55 of 529 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: The museum houses an extensive collection of Hungarian works dating from the 10th century to present day, including the sculpture of King Béla III's head (1200 A.D.) and lavish 15th- and 16th-century winged altarpieces.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Buy the budapest card and save the ticket to this magnificent gallery in a heritage building with great arts and fabulous vistas of the Pest side

1  Thank Romain H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"audio guide"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

It cost 1400ft each for the museum and costs extra if you wish to take pictures, The que is very long and German tourist guides can just push in at any time the cafe is very nice but you have to pay for the toilet unless you are a customer.
I am half Hungarian and have visited this place many times as a child so i took my Husband to show him and I wish I had taken him to the Heroes Square Gallery instead,
I felt so un-eased I was watched every step I could not look at the paintings for very long and one member of the staff actually followed me into the toilet then i had to rest because of the heat as i have Astmah so I looked out of the window to see the view of Budapest and got told off yet again by a member of staff followed every where apart from the section of modern art we did not pay for but went in anyway. And I did like the ion man at the top floor but i wish we had done something else I have never felt so un-at ease in all my life.

3  Thank SharonF397
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Located on the second floor (their first floor), in a vast room that once functioned as the throne room, is the most extraordinary collection of carved, painted and gilded altarpieces I have ever seen. All come from Hungary (or what was once part of the Hungarian kingdom). Some are 20 feet high, and some feature figures of saints that are life size. The quality of the carving is absolutely breathtaking. I visited with several friends, one of whom, thanks to her Catholic school education, could identify every saint depicted by his or her attributes. The impression upon entering the gallery of all that dazzling golden detail is one that will stay with me forever. Definitely a highlight of Budapest, one of Europe's most glorious cities.

2  Thank KateMinneapolis
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was very impressed with this museum located inside Buda Castle. You will not find Picasso or Rembrandt at this museum, but excellent Hungarian pieces (mostly paintings). The Gothic winged alterpieces were the high point for me, but you will find pieces medieval to modern.

2  Thank Robert W
See more reviews
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

You will love this, the alter pieces and religous artwork were awe inspiring to look at given their ages and conditions, extensive portrait and cartoon galleries right up to modern...however, after 2 hours i was certainly willing to give a career as a phillistine a chance.

1  Thank Julie-Anne B