“Great Hotel, Great Location”

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #26 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Adelaide, Australia
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel situated perfectly on the Danube. Our room overlooked the river and sunset and night views of Buda were stunning. Breakfast really good, what you would expect of this quality hotel. The Business Club room was brilliant with food, drink and amenity second to none. Airport transfer was good and location on riverfront near modern shopping centre also useful. Arranged a driver and tour of the old Buda area with the hotel and concierge assisted with arranging dinner cruise for family.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Claus G, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear TadGlobal,
Thank you very much for writing about your recent stay. I am much pleased to see that you were impressed by the stunning view of the sunset behind the river Danube and the Buda Castle. I find it great that you chose our Club InterContinental services with brilliant food and beverage selection. I am happy to hear how much satisfied you were with our Concierge services. I would be glad to be standing at your disposal when you visit Budapest again.
With kind regards,
Claus Geisselmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,002)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
york
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We are four ladies who regularly have girly city breaks. We've just returned from a fabulous trip to Budapest. What a lovely city! From a seamless and efficient prearranged pick-up at the airport we arrived at the hotel. Everything about the hotel surpassed our expectations, from the bedroom river view to the wonderful staff. Nothing was too much bother - from the attentive bellboy leaping to open the door for us to the excellent dining room staff to the immaculate and well-informed reception and concierge staff. We used the hotel pool and booked massages - another lovely experience. I even took photos of the fantastic breakfast buffet! We ate in the restaurant and sat outside every evening for a night cap or two. Ok, the drinks are expensive, but this is a city and the location and view made it worth every penny. We booked our tickets for the hop-on,hop-off bus and the evening river dinner cruise from the ever-helpful concierge. We really couldn't find fault with anything. We also loved the beautiful enormous hotel foyer with huge vases of fresh flowers, piano player, pictures and sculptures. The whole place was stunning and spotless and an absolute credit to the manager and staff. Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: River view room more expensive but worth evert penny. No need to take hair dryer or shampoo etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear roombudYork,
Thank you very much for taking your time writing your comment. It is really delighting to read your review through. I especially like that you mention the attentive and well-informed staff ready to be assisting you and the decorative flowers, art pictures and sculptures in the lobby spiced with piano-music. I would be most happy to welcome you back on your next city break with friends or family.
Kind regards,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The big plus about this hotel is it's location....right on the Danube in the town Center. You can walk to most of the main attractions and the metro station is a five minute walk from the hotel. Metro line one takes you to the Szcheny Bsths and Hero's Square for just $7 round trip. But you really should book a river view room. The view is amazing and a joy to wake up to. Guests on the city side look out onto a busy street and buildings. Another helpful hint: if you do get a river view room and you come in the summer, email the hotel and ask that the air conditioning be turned on in you room prior to arrival. Our room was unbearably hot when we arrived, but cooled off in a couple of hours.
The hotel staff is very friendly and we used the concierge to book dinner reservations for us at near by restaurants, easy to walk to...Cafe Kor and Tigris, both very good.
The breakfast buffet is HUGE with so many choices...cooked to order omelettes, fruit buffet, hot food buffet, cold meats and cheese, and bread and pastry buffet and so much more..the food choices are endless!
We did feel that the prices in the bar were really exorbitant...$12 for a non- alcoholic drink, $9-$12 for s beer! Just step outside, wander down the river bank and visit one of the restaurant bars next door, where you can get s freshly made mojoto and other drinks for $3.50.
But if you want an excellent location that let's you walk to the parliament buildings, castle hill, St. Stephen's Basilica, Jewish Synagogue and more, then you will be very happy!

Room Tip: Do get a room with a river view..it's spectacular at night!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Claus G, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear GreenLakeReener,
Thank you very much for taking your time writing your review. I am delighted to read your comments about the city attractions, public transportation, amazing view and your compliments on the hotel staff and the services provided. I regret that you disliked the price-value ratio in the bar on the other hand I am happy that you were cheered up by our concierge recommendations. I am sure there is still many things left to see from this ever changing city and I would be delighted to welcome you back to InterContinental Budapest in the near future.
13jan47
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Although it is a great location, but unfortunately beware of being ripped off.
I requested an airport pickup for my midnight arrival from London which had a rate in the local currency. It was 18600 HUF which is equal to around €60. When I was checking out two days later I see on my bill that airport drop off in the same black Mercedes was 8500 Huf.
After paying €88 I realised on my way to airport that I was misinformed and ripped off. As they should have charged me 8500 HUF for pick up as well for the same car.
So I asked the driver to turn around and I went back to hotel reception to request a refund for the 10000 HUF they charged me as extra. They agreed and paid back the money they owed me.
To my greatest surprise, they forced my sisters who were checking out five hours after me to pay them the 10000 HUF they paid me.
This is very tricky, I am writing a complaint to the top management.
Terrible experience to me and my sisters.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Beshahhi
Dear Beshahhi,
Thank you for taking your comment and for having chosen InterContinental Budapest. I regret that you feel disappointed and unsatisfied about your transfer arrangements. Let me point out that the transfer rates of our limousine service partner are published and clearly communicated. Different price levels per route can occur due to various car types and transportation services based on official regulations. When guests reserve a transfer service than rates are openly communicated and the transfer itself is only booked if previously confirmed. Alternatively yellow taxis are available however charge will be calculated by the taximeter to be paid at the end of the journey. I hope to welcome you again at our hotel should your travels bring you back to Hungary.
Best regards,
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

A wonderful location and very friendly staff. Rooms are ok even if a bit smaller than what you can expect from a 5 stars.
Restaurant is delicious with a large variety of choices.
The spa can be improved as the quality of the massage was below the average to me.
In general, I had a very good experience.

Stayed July 2014
Claus G, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Matthieu R,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinion about your recent stay. I am happy that you draw attention to the very friendly staff in our hotel. I am glad that you were satisfied with the room & the restaurant and regret that the massage could have been better delivered to your needs. Thank you for complimenting the generally good experience. I am looking forward to welcoming you back when you return to the city.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel is in a great position, overlooking the Danube, being close to the chain bridge and parliament building and other buildings of note and the lively part of Budapest, with all it's wonderful attractions.

Service and breakfast are also excellent. The biggest let down with the hotel is the small standard rooms and bathrooms in desperate need of a makeover. They are also dark and a little dreary.

I did enquire about being moved to a room overlooking the Danube, but they wanted to charge me another 40 euros a person! ouch!

Room Tip: try not get put at the rear of the hotel
Dear david m,
Thank you for taking time writing your comment and for complimenting the benefits of beautiful location and excellent service. I regret that the room size and furniture did not met your expectations. Let me draw the attention that when creating a room reservation our hotel offers various choices aiming to fulfil various guest needs such as room size, view, equipment and rate-value ratio. I am happy that you show satisfaction due to cleanliness, service and sleep quality. I would be much happy to welcome you again in the near future.
Best regards,
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at the Intercontinental Budapest, mainly because we wanted a hotel near the centre and the main attractions. From the moment we entered the hotel were treated as special guests, the doormen were quick to move our bags, providing information about the hotel as we made our way to the room. The reception staff were extremely polite and also informative, providing this with a smile (such a little thing but how it changes the relationship!). The room was overlooking the river and what a view, the whole castle is on the opposite bank, whether its day or night this is a really great view! Despite being on the riverfront and near to the tramline that runs along the promenade, we had two great nights sleep.

We signed up for the Club Lounge instead of taking the normal breakfast, this turned out to be a great idea, as not only do they provide breakfasts, you can get lunchtime and evening snacks plus soft drinks during the day and some alcoholic drinks in the evening. There are PCs here for club guests and a printer if need to print boarding passes. The Club staff will help you get started.

The location is fantastic, a short walk to the Chain Bridge and over to the Buda area for the castle and some brilliant photo opportunities. The shopping district is just a few minutes away and almost everywhere you look, there are fantastic buildings and squares. The city has a lot or really intriguing bronze statues all around but the one we found the most popular is directly outside this hotel. This lifesize bronze artist attracted hundreds of people in the short-time we were having a drink on the terrace. If you like people watching this was up there as one of the most enjoyable we have ever had.

All round we felt the experience of this hotel was very positive, I can't recall a single member of the staff not greeting us and smiling. We will definately return.

Room Tip: Always try and get a river view, it really is worth it as the river always has something going on an...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Claus G, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Rob T,
Thank you very much for taking your time writing about your recent experience in InterContinental Budapest. I am much happy about your story that reflects information from the time of stepping into the hotel building and being warmly welcomed by the smiling and informative staff through a good night sleep, the Club Lounge exclusive benefits and easy boarding pass printing to the living art of the city. I will be very happy to be standing at your disposal on your soon coming return to the capital of Hungary.