“Brilliant”

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #28 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Four of us stayed 3 nights , What a super hotel, can not find one word wrong. Food delicious, staff couldn't have been mor helpful at all times. Views of Buda and the Danube in the evening illuminations from the hotel are an added bonus.
jdm.rowthorne@btinternet.com

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear RedbrickJ,
I am happy that you enjoyed delicious food and recognized our staff as being most helpful. I am really becoming delighted when you write we are a super hotel and everything was satisfactory for you including the evening view to the illuminated city - as the cherry on the pie.
Looking forward to welcoming you again.
Claus Geisselmann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,513)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Centrally located close to all attractions in the city center. My room was very spacious. The lobby and other areas were also very nice. Great for couples and people who want to stay close to the center.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear aleahx,
thank you for placing your review. I am glad to read that noted our hotel being close to several nearby attractions. I am delighted to read that you found your room spacious and the lobby nice. I appreciate drawing the attention to our hotel for couples and for those looking for a lively downtown location with a relaxing atmosphere inside. Looking forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the next year.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights. It satisfied all our expectations. The hotel is the nearest one to the Danube, Castle, Basilica which means they are a hop away. There are nice hotels around. One main shopping street is also very near. Moreover since Christmas was approaching they set up small wooden shops near the large areas around shopping streets.It made a very warm atmosphere especially during evenings. In summary the hotel location is in the best place it can be. The hotel staff were great. The people at the concíerge were very friendly, speaking very clear English, trying to give their utmost help tirelessly. The city tour company is at the backside of the hotel which was a great help to take early tours. Breakfast was most satisfactory serving people from all regions around the world namely international The waiters were very polite and helpful. The room was very spacious overlooking the Danube. Who wouldn't like to have breakfast with a view of wonderful buildings on the other side of the river. One day I had to take an early trip and they prepared a satisfying breakfast box to have on the way. We enjoyed the free wifi with internet cards both in the lobby and in the rooms. I think that is the result of the criticism they received. I felt the secrecy from the reception desk while receiving these cards with the hush - don't tell anyone- gesture. The rooms were clean every day. Although the bathroom was alittle small for an executive room it was neat and satisfactory.The hotel was quiet and I witnessed no disturbance. The king bed was pretty comfortable with a nice mattress. The window frames were of the old style ones with alot of heat leakage to the outside cold during our stay. However this didnot create a problem since heating was ok. The price we paid was worth every penny for the service we received. I recommend Intercontinental Hotel Budapest to everyone who visits the city. Whenever I will travel to Budapest this hotel will be my choice again.

Room Tip: Choose the execeutive rooms that overlooks the Danube. It may cost alittle more but gives you more r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nkohen

Dear nkohen,
First of all I would like to thank you very much for taking your time sharing your opinion. I am glad that our hotel satisfied all your expectations. I like the nearby Christmas market mentioned which really provides a nice and unique selection of handmade handicraft products and authentic local dishes. I think it really worth to see. It makes me feel proud to read that you were touched by the friendliness of our Concierge Team, the easiness of tour organizing and that you found the breakfast satisfactory. I am delighted that you liked the room comfort and all related services.
Thank you for choosing InterContinental Budapest for your next stay as well. I am very much looking forward to a warm welcome back.
Kind regards,

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed for three nights while touring Budapest. Great location for exploring the city. Fantastic views as mentioned in other reviews. Very helpful concierge desk. Disappointed that there is a charge for wifi internet use in room. Other hotels to check out which are very close are the Sofitel and Marriott, but you can't go wrong at the Intercontinental.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Jeff873,
Thank you very much for taking your time placing your review. I am very glad to read that you were fascinated by the location and the view of our hotel not to mention your comment on the helpful concierge desk. In regards to wi-fi charges I would like to inform you that InterContinental Hotels Group offers the benefit of free internet for Elite members and it will be available to all members in 2014. I am very proud to learn that you were satisfied with the overall stay experience and recommend our hotel as first choice among nearby ones.
I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Just spent three very nice nights in this lovely hotel. Great location and within walking distance of pretty much everywhere. Breakfast was a bit disappointing - ample buffet choice but most hot dishes presented tepid at best!
The biggest issue for me, and I guess most if not all business visitors, is that the hotel has no free wifi - come on Intercontinental, get in this century and keep up with the competition - you can even get free wifi on the 'hop-on-hop-off bus', (had to go to the nearby John Bull Pub to get e-mails), so you lost my bar trade!

Room Tip: Get a room with a river view and above the 4th floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Peter G,
Thank you very much for taking the time writing your comments. I am glad to see that you liked your overall experiences in our hotel. I am delighted to see that you find our hotel being lovely and well located. In regards to wi-fi charges I would like to inform you that InterContinental Hotels Group offers the benefit of free internet for Elite members and it will be available to all members in 2014. I very much hope for a warm welcome on your next visit to Budapest.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Budapest is one of the fastest rising stars in the corporate event and meeting scene, and the InterCont there is definitely part of this rise.

as far as business hotels go, this one got it right. it starts with the location. sitting right at the danube, you can hardly get any closer to the castle AND the basilica. take a stroll along the river, or head into the city for sightseeing, cross the bridge and go up the hills for the castle, or to the citadel, it's all just a hop away.

the nature of my business in these hotels includes that i get the back side rooms, so i can't report about the scenery other than from the breakfast restaurant, the meeting rooms, the hallway or from stepping outside, and hey - it's grand, make no mistake. get a waterfront room if you can.

the room itself sports everything one needs, from a huge bed with a firm mattress to a clean, functional and neat bathroom that could be, if i had to find something negative, a bit bigger but still has not only a tub, but also a heated mirror (doesn't steam up after a shower), which is a rare luxury. master switches next to the bed are convenient, and there's no card slot for power - you can charge your laptop when you're not in the room. and most importantly: it's quiet. never heard a neighbor, room service, hallway activites.

breakfast is enormous and diverse, their restaurant kitchen is overall performing very nicely. i loved the spa, the only weird thing is it's located on the meeting room floors, so there's some mingling with bathrobes and business suits around the elevators sometimes.

architecturally from the outside, well, the 70ies happened in Hungary also and people actually thought that's ok. good thing though, from the inside you don't get any of this, it's beautifully done and tastefully furnished.

service is impeccable, everybody is friendly, most speak english, and everything was found not only to my own, but to everybody else's satisfaction, and that's worth mentioning since there's some spoiled people in the company i travel with.

the bar has an exquisite selection of fine spirits, and is a well designed chill out zone. again, very friendly and helpful service.

overall, i know i'll be going back, and i'm looking forward to it. i can only recommend this place.

Room Tip: facing the danube will sport a grand view of the castle every morning. well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear chaseinger,
I wish to say thank you for sharing your thorough review. It makes me delighted to learn all your experiences throughout your business trip. I become satisfied reading that you recognize InterContinental Budapest being among the fastest rising stars as a meeting scene. I am happy that you found the room convenient in all different aspects and that you have liked the breakfast, bar and spa services. It makes me feel glad that you value our property as beautifully done and tastefully furnished. I am delighted that our staff interactions made you feel content for all of you in your group. I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back in our hotel on your next trip to Budapest and I would like to add that I am very proud reading that you recommend our facilities.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Oh my Goodness! We stayed here for 3 nights for a Business meeting. Oh my lord the view from our room was spectacular like a perfect photo! over looking the river and The Chain Bridge. This hotel is right next to Fisherman's Bastion. It's also lots of restaurants in just a short walked. I love this hotel. And great service as well.

Room Tip: ask for the river and The Chain Bridge view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear jr_2009,
thank you for sharing your opinion. I am so amazed how you enjoyed our view of the Danube, Chain Bridge and Fisherman's Bastion. I really appreciate you mentioning the restaurants in walking distance and the great service that met your expectations. I hope to be standing at your disposal on your next trip to Budapest.