“Location, location, location...and what a stunning view you get with it!”

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #26 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Woodstock, New York
“Location, location, location...and what a stunning view you get with it!”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was top notch from beginning to end. We were received at the Club Lounge for registration and served food and drinks while we registered. We were given a very comfortable room with a wonderful view of Buda and its Castle Hill. Seeing the hilltop of Buda at night from our bedroom was so spectacular, I could have stayed up all night just staring at this magnificent vista.

Of all the Intercontinental Hotels we stayed at during this European family rendezvous, I found this hotel to be the best. The staff were always eager to help, the breakfast buffets abundant, the rooms were clean and comfortable and most of the sites to see were within walking distance of the hotel. I wish we had spent another day or two more just to relax and take time exploring Budapest. it just felt like a jewel of a city best experienced at a slower pace to see, feel and enjoy the sites or even doing nothing! I could have spent hours at our hotel window just gazing at the unobstructed view of the River Danube and Castle Hill spread before our eyes!

My husband and I liked walking over the Chain Bridge to Buda and back before dinner and watch the city light up before us. We would then go back to the hotel Club Lounge for drinks and finger food which was always abundant and excellently prepared. A young man by the name of Viiktor looked after us so impeccably well during our stay there that he has set a standard in my opinion that Intercontinental Club Lounge staff should aspire to emulate. Always solicitous and eager to help be it another drink, a cup of consommé for Madam, or just interesting conversation about his city, he was charm and professionalism all marvelously rolled into one package. We never lacked for anything when he was around and are so grateful for that.

I would like to go back to Budapest again in the near future. We did not do the city justice because of our shortened stay there. I wouldn't mind another Intercontinental Hotel experience like this one again either!

Room Tip: a room with a view of Castle Hill
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Footloose916,
thank you very much for placing your opinion. I was very much interested in all your experiences that you mentioned to encounter during your stay in our hotel. I am delighted to read that you have found our hotel the best throughout your European tour of hotels. I am happy to see that you have been amazed by the beautiful sights of Budapest and the nearby attractions to our hotel. I am really glad that you could spend a memorable time in our Club Lounge enjoying all the facilities offered. I feel extremely proud that the staff of Club InterContinental has exceeded your expectations and please rest assured I will pass on your words of praise to Viktor.
I very much looking forward to welcoming you back in our property in the near future.
Claus Geisselmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,003)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Although I was in Budapest for business and did not need to be near the hotel for the business the central location is perfect for tourism and for dining out. As a gold IHG member you get of course get some additional perks, and this time it included the stunning view over the Danu looking straight at the fort and castle.
Service throughout the hotel is perfect. English skills of all personnel are of a good level. Although the hotel looks a little out dated, the hotel is still is great condition and well maintained. Except that the fan of the heater/airconditioner is loud and opening a window will introduce a lot of noise.
A few remarks though: It seems there is an agreement with only one taxi company. This can mean that at rush hours the wait is long. Why not broaden the scope and allow for more taxis to pick up customers. Especially in the morning. The other remark; I prefer to see dairy products to be offered cooled when presented at the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear 14NABster,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your comments. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We value your feedback on all your experiences. I highly appreciate that you found our services perfect and that it was easy for you to communicate with our staff in English. I am very much looking forward to a warm welcome to our hotel in the near future.
Yours sicerely,
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We booked a river cruise along the Danube with a start of 3 nights at this hotel room faced the road not the river a slight disappointment but then again I was there during the Festival of St Stephen so river views were at a premium did not detract from the hotel. Room’s great, Service great from reception to booking out. Food was spectacular Breakfast choice was second to none. I would recommend this hotel but if you want a River view ask for one when booking a trick that I missed but then again there is a rail line between the hotel and River so I don’t know if that noise may affect you.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the River but bear in mind that there is a rail road between the Hotel and River...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear lHornchurchPaul,
I am happy to read that you were not at all detractad from our hotel indeed you even recommend it to others. I am glad that you found breakfast and our services second to none. I hope that during your next visit you can enjoy our world heritage panorama from the river side windows.
Kind regards,
Nottingham
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Four night City Break through Jet2 holidays,being November we decided that a top class hotel would be a safeguard lest the weather became severe. Excellent hotel, really helpful and friendly staff, especially the concierge desk staff who gave us great advice on sites to see and restaurants to try. The facilities are good with a swimming pool and gym; we did take a look at the facilities but found so much to see and do that we never found time to enjoy them which was a shame.
The location made sightseeing easy and the river views at night were well worth the modest additional charge for a river view. We'd certainly consider another visit, perhaps in the spring or summer as a contrast.
We booked taxi transfers online and were met at the airport and collected for our return exactly as promised; all in cost both ways €41.00.

Wat

Room Tip: Request river view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wat
Dear Wat,
I am glad that you have spent an enjoyable city break with us. It makes me feel especially proud to see that you found our staff really helpful, friendly and that you even highlight the great advices of our concierge team. I hope to welcome you back next year when I'm sure you will take a chance to find out more about the relaxing atmosphere of our Spa.
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed November 19, 2013

What a stunning view of the Danube from our room..and so beautiful after dark..rooms were very nice. Lively bar area in the lobby. Very good breakfast buffet. Would highly recommend the hotel staff from the doormen,front desk to housekeeping.

Room Tip: Any room with a view of the Danube
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear cdeal12,
thank you for placing your comment. I am very much pleased that you highly recommend our staff from all professional areas. I am glad that you have enjoyed your morning meal with us. I am looking forward to welcoming you back again for a breathtaking evening panorama from our windows.
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I booked this hotel with a BA late deal and received exceptional value with breakfast included.
We paid extra to have a river view room and it was one of the best views I have ever had from a hotel window. In fact we didn't close the curtains so we could lay in bed and enjoy the view of the Chain Bridge which just happens to be a replica of the one in my home town of Marlow so it was very interesting. This hotel is in the best location, everywhere is walkable and you can't get lost. All the staff were a credit to the Intercontinental brand. Excellent breakfast choice, busy but never felt crowded and no queues at the freshly cooked station. The Concierge were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We went to the Gellert Spa one evening (when in Rome etc !)...... what a disappointment, a dismal place in my opinion with miserable, grumpy staff, so expensive just to sit in warm water and then have to pay extra for a towel when you get in, so after a 10 minute soak we walked back to the hotel to use the spa there. It is small but it has everything you need with the exception of a Jacuzzi, it is also free and we wished we hadn't paid £17 each at The Gellert. It was so relaxing and after a session in the superb steam room I felt very relaxed for an evening in the bar, enjoying a cocktail and again the views.Our bathroom was smaller than average for a hotel of this size but very clean, and a problem we had with shower head was fixed while we were at breakfast, full marks to maintenance.
OK, the building is not pretty and doesn't have a local atmosphere but if its a smooth experience you are after you cant go wrong at this superbly run hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room on the diagonal on the river side.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LWells2310
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear LWells2310,
thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel. I feel honoured that you mention the staff is a credit to our brand and that nothing was too much trouble to the Concierge. I wish to express my solidarity to your inconvenience in the city spa - on the other hand I am just grateful to hear that the relaxation in our Spa InterContinental exceeded your expectations. I will forward your positive remarks about the smooth and efficient job done to my maintenance team manager. It makes me especially proud to learn that you have found our property as a superbly run hotel in the aggregate.
Looking forward to welcoming you again.
Yours sincerely,
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

A hotel that has excellent staff and service in a great location. Bonus was to be able to sit outside in the sunshine and have the wonderful view too. Breakfast was very good with a large selection of food. Special mention to the concierge team - they know everything!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view on a higher level floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear hedgehog90,
thank you very much for placing your review. I am happy to learn that you have found the staff excellent and even more our concierge team proved to be In The Know with their support throughout your stay. I very much hope that we can welcome you back to enjoy the wonderful view on the Danube and the Castle Hill in the near future.