“Great location and views, but some drawbacks”

InterContinental Budapest
Ranked #24 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Great location and views, but some drawbacks”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This upmarket luxurious hotel offers an amazing location and great views over Buda, if you have a room overlooking the river. Staff is friendly, rooms are clean and neat and the wellness area offers a nice small pool and small sauna. If can be very busy here and because children are allowed also very noisy. The hotel has a few drawbacks that made me rate it Average; drinks and food are fairly overpriced. The very steep rates they charge for using Wifi are really something from the past. The bathroom is neat and clean but way too small for a hotel like this. We were also disturbed by staff walking into the room 3 times during our weekend stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Jasper L,
Thank you very much for your review.
I appreciate your feedback about your stay, commenting both on positive and negative impressions of yours. I have shared your comments with our management team and will work on improve on our performance in order to offer the best services to our guests.
With best regards,
Claus Geisselmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (964)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The InterContinental Budapest is a mixed bag when it comes to high-end hotels in Budapest. Its outside shows its age and inside, the quality of facilities seem to be a peculiar mish-mash of modern and old. Nonetheless, everything is in very good condition and hotel itself is spotless.

Rooms are on the smaller side but the size is largely compensated if you are fortunate enough to get a room with a river view. Morning and night, you can admire the stunning Buda Palace, even from the comfort of your bed. Breakfast was nothing exceptional, but it was varied and was certainly a good value for money.

We were visiting Budapest mainly for function that was held in the hotel's ballrooms: the food at the event was of excellent quality and the hotel staff provided all attendees with a very high level of service.

My only criticism of the hotel is the WiFi policy. While I am used to having to pay for WiFi in hotels around the world, I am less accustomed to being asked to pay for each device that I use. More unusual still is the two-tier fee system, with a less expensive option for "slow" internet (for e-mails etc.) and a more expensive for fast internet (for Skype and other services). I would prefer if the slower internet were free to use for hotel guests and the fast internet would be paying.

That small detail aside, I was very pleased with the overall experience at the InterContinental Budapest and I will certainly consider it in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jeanpauljh
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear JeanPaulJ,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Also thank you for your nice comments on food and the services delivered during the event you attended in our ballrooms.
We appreciate your feedback about the internet charges and in this regard I would like to inform you about the latest news. InterContinental Hotels Group will introduce the new benefit of free internet, starting with Elite members in July 2013, and available to all members in 2014.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We are four girls from the US on holiday going through Prague, Vienna and Budapest. Budapest being our last stop, we're immediately impressed by how friendly all the locals are. We are staying in the double queen beds room #730 between Jun 19 - 22nd. The reception upon check in and concierge are accommodating and friendly as I would expect from a five star hotel. Our room had a beautiful view and eveything was off to a great start.

The next morning when we went for the breakfast buffet; two of my friends were approached a couple of times and were told first that we had to pay for breakfast (really as if we were expecting it to be free). Another was asked for her room key (just to ensure we're hotel guests). This is just the beginning!

After a long day of touring the city in scourching 95 degrees weather, we stopped into the hotel (that we paid to stay at) to freshen up before going on a boat tour. During the 15 minutes when we were in the lobby area, the security guard circled us multiple times. When I approached concierge to make dinner reservations, the manager on duty discreetly asked her if we were hotel guests (in Hungarian assuming I couldn't understand)! She fortunately remembered us from the other day and made our reservations no questions asked.

The worst part is when we went outside to ask the doorman for a taxi. A hotel taxi was sitting idle but the doorman refused to give it to us saying "it is occupied" (nicely of course in an attempt to disguise his disgusting behaviour). When we left with a city taxi, the hotel taxi driver argued with the doorman presumably about missing out on the fare.

All in all the day's events were very disappointing and completely offensive. I travel very frequently for work and leisure and have stayed at much nicer hotels all over the world. Never have I encountered such ignorance anywhere. Management please train your people; meanwhile I will also be sending a letter to Priority Club and the Intercontinental Group management.

3 Thank Seng T
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Seng T,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am sad to read that we did not meet your expectations towards an InterContinental hotel. I would like to assure you that we treat all our guest equally. All your points raised in your review are shared with our management team and will be investigated.
I am sorry that you left the hotel with negative feelings.
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The intercontinental Budapest is located on the pest side, few meter from the river.
The location is great. It's possible to achieve all the main attraction by walk...day and night :-) .
The downtown is just behind the corner.
From the windows of the hotel is possible to see the most beautifull view ever, Budapest's Castel that in the evening with its light is reflecting on the Donau river.
For job reason I travel quite often and lets say that each single star of the hotel is well diserved.
The rooms are pritty nice and clean.
The staff is really friendly and professional.
We have been in the Club launge, what to say..it's simply marvellous. At the entrance of the club a gentle girl welcomed us explaining all the service of the club and after all helped to organize the journey. In the club there is good food the whole day, one of the best eggs i ever had for breakfast...and I love eggs.
The hotel has also a nice spa where you can practice sport or swimming.
I will return for sure.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear vinrasp,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am delighted that you had such a great stay with us. It is good to know that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and also the beautiful view from your room.
Furthermore it makes me very happy that you were impressed by our Club Lounge and its services. We put a lot of effort to make this outlet one of the best ones within InterContinental Hotels Chain.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards,
Chesterfield, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Fantastic service, friendly helpful staff. The rooms have been updated and the staff seems to actually enjoy having you at the hotel. Great breakfast, nice views, super location and a gym if you haven't gotten enough exercise!

Room Tip: Definitely want a river view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Suzy K,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am delighted that you chose Budapest and our hotel for your vacations. And also it feels good to read that you had such a great stay with us.
With best regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel before but this was the first time I stayed here since it was renovated a few years back. As always, I think this hotel has the best view of Buda Castle across the Danube (Marriott is further away down the river and Four Seasons is not exactly next to the river).

Room is not large but adequate, has everything you need. Only complaint was the TV takes a while to start once you turn it on. I needed to obtain the TV code for internet and it took me some 15 minutes to get it. The bed is very comfortable.

Service of the hotel is very good. Location by the river is the best, nice walk to Vaci utca area with many cafes and shops. Concierge gave some good recommendations for restaurants walking distance from the hotel and was helpful in booking taxi to airport.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, you must get a room facing the river! Best rate for changing money is those...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear yptee,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am happy that we had to possibility to welcome you back at our hotel.
It is also great that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were happy with the location and the services of the hotel.
We hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.
London
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Intercontinental in Budapest was absolutely wonderful. The staff were extremely helpful and polite; the room was great with the most amazing view of the Chain bridge and the Danube. The hotel is situated in a very convenient location; you could easily walk around and there is so much to see and do.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear mandulka,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am happy that you had such a great stay with us.