Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge
Excellent 5/5
Very Good 4/5
    • Room Service
    5,849 results
    All reviewschain bridgeparis restaurantluxury roomriver viewthe club loungefamous chainperfect locationexcellent hotelbreakfast buffetbuda castleacross the riverroyal palacean upgradechristmas marketjunior suitefour seasonsbeautiful city
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed December 9, 2008

We loved our stay at the Sofitel Budapest -- not only was the price right compared to its hotel neighbors, but our "luxury" queen-bed room (paying the small premium is worth it!) had beautiful river views of the Palace and Chain Bridge, plenty of space, a nice bathroom, and a comfy bed. And the views of the Danube could not be better!! We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone. The Four Seasons is right next door and although it's a lovely hotel, I can't imagine a better view than what we had, especially for the price. The Sofitel has the best value for the money in the area, I think. And don't forget the 3 essentials: "location, location, location"! You can walk virtually anywhere in the center city from here (and it's a short jaunt across the Chain Bridge, too).

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed November 15, 2008

My boyfriend and I chose to visit Budapest to mark our anniversary and plumped to stay at the Sofitel.

When we booked we were told that if we registered for a free Sofitel privilege card we could earn some points and get free complimentary drinks... so we did and lo and behold we got just that.

We also mentioned we were staying there to mark our anniversary and the hotel very kindly left us a bottle of champagne and some munchies complimentary which was a lovely touch on their part and certainly made our stay all the more special.

All in we spent £180 for three nights for the two of us, what with breakfast, the free drinks and the champagne laid on made amazing value!

The hotel itself...

From the outside it doesnt look much at all. But inside there is a huge atrium, all the rooms facing out, green plants galore and a wrap around dining area which is used for breakfast. And the centrepiece of an old aeroplane suspended from the ceiling.

And what a breakfast. Champagne included if you fancied it. And everything you could imagine including asian cuisine for the traveller from further afield than Europe. The staff were very attentive.... you had to be quick to swallow your food before they whisked your plate away sometimes!

The rooms were ample well fitted and clean and the location was fantastic. Walk out from the hotel and you have the chain bridge to your left, views of the hills of Buda over the river and at night they provide a stunning view. Some of the rooms in fact are on the river side so if you are one of the lucky ones you may have this view from the comfort of your hotel room.

At this hotel you're also close to St Stephens Cathedral, the beautiful Parliament building is 5 mins walk away and Buda is just over the bridge. And if you fancy a spot of decadence, the Four Season, Gresham Palace Hotel is just a few strides away for a late night cocktail in decadent surroundings where you can do a spot of people watching!

Budapest is a stunning city. A little bit like Prague but ... how to put this.... true. More real and not as commercialised although there are signs the western world are coming more to the area.

There are still signs from Russian occupation and the horrors that took place after the War. Stunning buildings showing the ravages of time and in need of repair but all of that together with its centre pieces just make it a gorgeous city that is a pleasure to stroll round.

The cuisine is something else.... its all a bit bizarre to be fair. Caffee Kor.... don't bother.... overrated and the service we had was shocking. We were stuck up on a mezzanine with a token table and the office computer at the side of us, forgotten about and generally treated as tourists who they didn't expect to see again, even though we had booked in advance.

But then we ate twice at a stunning italian (the best bruschetta we've ever had) that combined italian cuisine with a hungarian twist which surprisingly was delicious. Go visit Pomo D'Oro instead of Caffee Kor.... better service, better wine and better food.

We also found a quaint 70's style Cafe/Restaurant called Menza. A bit out of the centre (we went there after we walked back from Heroes Square). Typical 70's decor, a heavy hungarian menu but the best goulash I had while I was there with a potato/gnocchi/pasta thing to accompany it. Huge portions, good value and certainly worth a go.

There is so much to see and do in Budapest. You can do whats at the top of Buda in a day, maybe even less than that and then you have everything thats going on in Pest.

The Cathedral is incredible, you can book to see the Parliament building from the inside.... book in advance and its free if youre an EU resident (don't be put off by the army style treatment outside, it makes it more authentic!).

Heroes Square, the park, the spa are all in the same vicinity too and you can get the tram/tube out to the area is walking (and it is a long walk) is too much.

I'd also recommend the Terror Museum. An eye opener and a reminder that Budapest has a sorry past and has been suppressed for a long time under communism.

Theres plenty more to do and see but part of the charm of this city is finding the hidden gems. The incredible cafe's you don't realise are there (one by the terror museum is gorgeous - Lukacs, with gooey cakes), the views from the hills. The quirky cuisine and the fantastically good priced beer and wines which are of a fantastically good quality.

Think Prague.... think less commercial, more authentic and more unique and thats what you have with Budapest. It's a big thing to say from all the places we've visited so far but we think Budapest has become our favourite European City and we're sure we'll be back.

And we're pretty sure we'll be staying at the Sofitel when we do!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    5  Thank Blondie31
    Reviewed November 12, 2008

This was a great place to stay in Budapest. My husband and I found a good deal on the hotel website for a 4-night stay on the executive level with a river view, free internet access and access to the executive lounge. The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating, and spoke very good English. It was great to be able to have a light breakfast and snacks throughout the day (with wine and beer in the late afternoon) in the executive lounge. The executive lounge also had an excellent business center, with two computers/internet access and photocopier. The location of the hotel is perfect for sight-seeing and getting around. The rooms were very comfortable. The view of the Danube from our hotel room was breath-taking.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    Reviewed November 11, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised with the Sofitel. Rooms were very nicely appointed, clean, and modern. I also had a great view of the Danube which made my stay even better. Staff seemed well trained and all that I encountered spoke excellent english.

The hotel is well located in Budapest making it very easy to get to wherever you want to go.

I would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed: January 2008
    Reviewed October 29, 2008

I stayed at the Sofitel Budapest for a few days in September 2008 while on business. The lobby is very welcoming, tastefully decorated in modern style in a huge atrium.

Even though my booking was for a "city view" room (nice expression for "no view"), I asked for a nice view during checking and the friendly receptionist gave me a room with Danube view for no extra cost. Nice touch!

The room itself is clean, nicely sized, recently refurbished even though in an older style not as appealing as the lobby. The view of the Danube is stunning! Amenities are great, LCD TV (but the stretched image was annoying), desk in a sort of bow window, amazingly comfortable beds, and nice Yves Rocher products in the (rather smallish) bathroom. Compared to usual business hotels, it is definitely above average.

The breakfast was not included in the rate and was pretty expensive. There are a lot of places where to get breakfast around but they don't open before 9:30. I ordered room service, which was relatively cheap, tasty, and contained more stuff than I ordered (complimentary basket of pastries, breat and preserves!) It's definitely worth checking out the menu...

They also have a nice indoors swimming pool, a sauna and a small fitness room with limited equipment.

As for the location, not much to say, it's perfect! I walked almost everywhere.

I hesitated between the Sofitel and the Intercontinental next door (both were at the same price ca. EUR 115), so I had to go check the IC out, I only saw the lobby but Sofitel looks like a better choice.

Finally, the staff is very friendly, but the concierge is clearly after restaurant commissions so keep it in mind when you ask for recommendations.

All in all a great hotel, I would definitely go back there. But if money is not an issue, you must check out the nearby Four Seasons instead, amazing!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business