“Great view but, Oh Dear.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge

Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge
Ranked #26 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great view but, Oh Dear.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Good things first. If you get a Danube facing room you won't have a better first sight of Budapest. Also it is very central.

But, I would only ever come here again if the company was footing the bill. The carpets are tired, some of the electrics were hanging off the skirting board and the service at breakfast went at slow march pace.

The hotel was heaving with conference guests and when I arrived at 9.30am on a Saturday for breakfast the queue was about 30 deep. There were tables but there was no efficiency for clearing and turning them.

In short, great view but don't go unless your widget company is coughing up.

Room Tip: Danube every time.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TheDadofChas
Philippe_Godard, General Manager at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us. We are very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, especially the room and the breakfast service; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Yours sincerely,
Philippe Godard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,095)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed there a bit over a year ago. It was after a biking trip and I wanted to treat myself and decided to get a room facing the Danube. I was surprised that it was less than USD 200 per night. It was actually cheaper than the hotel had I booked a room through my trip organizer.

It was late morning when I arrived at the hotel. I asked for a room on the higher floors. They didn't have it at that moment, but could possibly get me one if I wanted to return later. It was fine with me. So I wandered around the city a bit and returned early afternoon. I surprised to find out that I was upgraded to the top floor with a nice view of the river. The room was well appointed with nice French linen. The bathroom has a separate shower and tub.

I will definitely stay at a Sofitel again.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a river view room. Price can be better if you book direct with them.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Sofitel! The hotel is beautiful, the locations is great and the staff ie. female concierge are extremely helpful and friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!! 5 stars!! Cannot wait to plan a trip to return!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lake Worth, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

My daughter and I visited Budapest or 3 nights in October and stayed at this hotel. We absolutely loved it. The location is perfect, and so close to so many attractions and transportation. The view of the bridge and castle was amazing, especially at night, The hotel was very clean, the rooms were spacious and the staff was so helpful ,friendly and accommodating. Couldn't have asked for better. We loved Budapest; it's an amazing city--safe and very clean with friendly, helpful people. Staying at this lovely hotel made our visit even better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Location is great...practically next to the Chain Bridge. Parliament about a 15-minute walk from the hotel. Tons of restaurants and shops near the hotel. Bed linens were fluffy and terry robes and slippers were provided. Included buffet breakfast great and the hotel staff were very solicitous. Free internet and computers in the Business Office. Negatives were that the room windows don't open and my room had a view of the building across the street. Request a river/bridge view. Also, rooms are not made up until mid-afternoon or later, despite requests. Since it's a chain hotel, one gets consistency in terms of amenities but no local charm.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us. We are very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, especially regarding the Housekeeping service; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. We are also very concerned to hear that you were missing the local charm in our hotel. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address these problems and prevent future occurrence. For us it is most important that our guests leave Budapest with wonderful memories of their stay with us, therefore we thank you very much again for sharing your concerns with us.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We've just recently stayed in this hotel for a few nights. The location is just great. We were able to see so much of this beautiful city as such interesting places are within walking distance of the hotel. There are plenty of restaurants nearby which was a bonus. Our room was large and well appointed....and the beds were so very comfortable! The only disappointment was that use of the computers in the business centre was limited to 10 minutes free time. One would think that in this day and age there would be free computer use for all the guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed for four nights over an extended weekend in a Luxury room with river views (#407). As a Le Club Gold member, I got my room upgrade, drinks vouchers and welcome gift (snack in the room) without asking, which is always nice.

What I liked was the impressive and stylish lobby/restaurant area in the middle, the friendly staff throughout the stay (reception, bar bellhops and business center) and the central location. As I had forgotten my mobile phone charger, I was happy the business center was able to charge the phone for me.

Having stayed at six different Sofitels, I get the impression there are two types: The very modern design hotels (Brussels and Strasbourg) and the more classic luxury ones (Dubai, Washington D.C.). This one in Budapest is an odd mix. While the lobby is very stylish, the decor of the rooms could be described as dated. A room refurbish would do wonders!

The suggestion I can think of is to improve the turndown service by turning on some nice relaxing music and leaving a chocolate in the room, as they do in many other places.

The Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge is a great choice for anyone looking for a very central hotel with rooms in a classic design.

Room Tip: The river views are great in both daylight and in the night, thanks to excellent lighting of the bui...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kanaman
Philippe_Godard, General Manager at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge as well as for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to read that you liked the room upgrade and welcome amenity and that the business centre service exceeded your expectations, which is a great encouragement for our future work.
Regarding your notes about the room style and the turn down service, I can assure you that as a management team we take all comments very seriously and share them with our staff, so we may solve any and all issues. Again, thank you for your comments, which will help us in all ongoing efforts to improve our service.
We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge.

Your sincerely,