“Nice hotel on the Danube”
Review of art'otel budapest

art'otel budapest
Ranked #41 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Amongst the first things you notice about this hotel is the view - across the Danube to the Hungarian Parliament building. Convenient location, everything worked, and unfortunately I left the review too long to remember much of the detail!

Room Tip: Danube view is worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for art'otel budapest

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Our hotel in Budapest was the art’otel on the banks of the Danube. We arrived on the evening of Saturday 12th May. I had booked it with a quantity of Gold Points from the Club Carlson frequent traveller programme, making the 3 night stay effectively free.

We were efficiently greeted by a well spoken (very good English-speaking) receptionist, who was very helpful. I think his name was Tamas.

As a “Silver Elite” member of the programme, I was entitled to a free upgrade, which I understand afforded us a better room, i.e. one with a Danube view. When my wife & I arrived at the room, it did indeed face the Danube, but was pretty small and we both would have preferred a larger room.

We returned to reception and I asked if it was possible to upgrade to a suite. I had around 150,000 points in ‘the bank’ and I figured I may as well use them for the upgrade. After lots of clicking on the computer, we were informed that because I had booked using the loyalty programme, I would have to make a fresh reservation online and then cancel the existing one. This meant getting online and doing lots of messing around at a time when we were both ready to start relaxing, not start a session of admin.

As I was so well endowed in the points department, common sense prevailed, and I was told that I’d have plenty of points to cover the upgrade to a suite. The manager was not around at the time, but was made aware of the situation, and it was he that sanctioned the move. I was to report to reception on Monday to sort it out. I was curious and wondered how much on top of the 114,000 points, (38,000 per night) I was going to end up paying. More later…

The hotel is great, our suite was large, clean and had fabulous views overlooking the Danube, and views of the Parliament building and Chain Bridge were first class. We had two sets of full length doors, with a Juliet balcony, which was nice to lean on and watch the world go by. The room had a fully stocked mini bar (no price list), a safe and two large flat screen TV’s one in each room. The bed was massive and designed to give the appearance of floating over the floor. It had a memory foam topper, which is most unusual, but a very nice touch.

The bathroom was not massive, and the shower-over-bath was pretty poor really. There were no little touches other than the complimentary toiletries. There was only UHT cream, no milk for tea, no biscuits, no (complimentary) water and breakfast was extra too.

For us, we found the location to be one of the best features of the hotel. It was a few minutes, (say 10 maximum), each way to either the Batthyany ter Metro station or The Chain Bridge – both getting you to the Pest (read best) side of town. The hotels on the other side wouldn’t have as good views I don’t think. On the Buda side, the Castle & Fisherman’s Bastion were also very close-by, albeit up a steep hill.

A lot can be read about the art’otel and how it’s packed with original art from ‘some American artist you’ve never heard of’. The art was evident, but if the hotel was not themed / sold as an art hotel, I’d have struggled to notice the difference between this hotel and any other good independent one. Our room had two large prints which were identical, where’s the logic in that? They do art tours once a day around the hotel, which maybe if we had done, would have enhanced our appreciation of what was on offer?

We dined in the hotel only once, for breakfast. It was a Monday morning and was very busy, but the service was very good and there was a huge selection of hot and cold produce to choose from. It was €14.00 per person, but this could have been reduced to €10.00 pp if we had committed to have breakfasts each morning. Breakfast was good value and well above average offerings.

The negatives… of which there’s only a few. Bearing in mind, (my Carlson points are like lottery wins), I travel a lot, mostly on business. I don’t mind complaining when I’m on my own, it usually gets matters resolved, but when I’m away on a romantic weekend with my wife, the last thing anyone needs is to get all wound up complaining about this and that.

I received an email on Monday afternoon stating the hotel had charged me 40,000 points for the upgrade, with which I was delighted. I had a figure of 60,000 points in mind, (20,000 per night). Very shortly afterwards two further messages were received stating another 2 x 40,000 points were charged, 40k per night, so 120,000 for the upgrade, making the total 238,000 points (plus a free upgrade) for our room.

This annoyed me a little. For 50,000 in most countries you can get a 5* hotel for one night, I was 12,000 points off 5 nights in a 5* hotel, but enjoyed only 3 nights in a 4*. When I discussed this with the manager, he responded a day or so later with a discretionary refund of 26,000, so I guess that evened it out a little, but still seemed ‘expensive’. The manager stated the upgrade was worth €60/night.

If you read any of my other reviews, you will not have to read far before WiFi gets a mention. WiFi in this hotel is free, which I regard as basic a feature as a bed. It required a multi-character login & separate password, which despite a clever attempt at creating a shortcut on your phone, always dropped out and required you to re-log in numerous times.

We were trying to book activities and research the restaurants we wanted to visit, (using TA of course), but even the simplest of things were made difficult by the unreliable and weak WiFi. You also had to request additional username & login details every 24 hours.

At night, the noise from the aircon unit in the bedroom became apparent, so much so, we turned it off and opened the French door slightly to allow some air in. Budapest is not a quiet city by night, the noise of the road, the tram line and the boats immediately outside the hotel were not insignificant, so we opted for the noisy aircon as the lesser of two evils.

One evening we wanted a bottle of white wine delivered to our room, I called down, to discover they only did half bottles of white, so ordered 2. One white and one red arrived as too did a tray charge, when the menu clearly stated the charge was included in the price.

On the whole, we enjoyed our stay. The hotel was really clean and did most things very well. Our room was great and we had only short walks to get us into the parts of the city we desired. I wouldn’t return, if only for the WiFi, it would drive me insane!

Room Tip: Looking over the Danube to the expertly illuminated Parliament building has got to be the choice of...
3  Thank Dodgergammon
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I had a very nice three night break here, all good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Good location, close to Chain Bridge and Castle Hill (within walking distance). The rooms are big and clean. Staff is very friendly and helpful. We recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view at Danube river. You will see the beautiful Parliament building.
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Fantastic location, came in at night and sat with a drink watching the lights on the Danube and parliament. Friendly and helpful staff, spacious and clean rooms and a great breakfast. On the quiter side of Budapest, so lovely to walk across the chain bridge and leave it behind.

Room Tip: Worth a little extra for the river view
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The art´otel is super location for trips by walk. Hotel is located on the bank of Danube river, close of old city center and Buda castle.Rooms are big and beautiful. We had room n.601 with excelent wiew on castle. Rooms on opposite side provide wiew on Danube river and historical building of Parliament. Staff was very nice and helpfull and very good english.

Room Tip: If You want quieter room, apply west side rooms(with wiew on the castle)
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I spent two nights at Art'otel in early May. The hotel location is good, near the cog railway up to the national museum and several other sights. It's a quick walk across the chain bridge to Roosevelt Square. I was given a room facing the river and the Parliament. The room was big, clean, comfortable and beautiful. The art in the room and through the hotel was wonderful. If you can't live without a strong web connection you will be frustrated here, but that's the only negative i can come up with. The staff in the bar was happy to recommend good Hungarian wines. The restaurant was excellent. I strongly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2012