“good business hotel on the banks of the Danube in the Buda part of town”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of art'otel budapest

art'otel budapest
Ranked #38 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Beirut, Lebanon
“good business hotel on the banks of the Danube in the Buda part of town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I spent a few nights in the hotel waiting until my house was ready to move into. The front rooms have view on the Danube and the splendid Budapest Houses of Parliament. Overall modern look and design of the rooms. Personally I like a more classic style hotel, but it was clean, very business-like, friendly and efficient staff who all speak one or several other European language, not to be underestimated advantage in Hungary where the locals speak a secret language that only the locals understand.

Room Tip: front rooms view on the Danube but more traffic noise, in the back quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

This was a great place to stay. I am a single female and like travelling alone and exploring new places. This was a great place to do it from. I was only in Budapest for five days, but I think I enjoyed my stay so much partly because I chose this hotel. It had everything I wanted.

It's located in Pest, on a a nice street. It's a main road but unbelievably quiet. I don't know if all the rooms have this, but my room had an absolutely dazzling view of the Danube river. I bought the entire holiday on lastminute.com (flights and hotel) for a pretty cheap price, so I was quite stunned when I ended up with such beautiful views.

For me, this place was ideal. The staff are friendly enough, helpful, there were no problems really. When there was a slight hiccup (my tv remote wasn't working), they sorted it out right away. If I needed directions they were helpful enough. When I went, a lot of the downstairs and restaurant area was being renovated so I can't comment on that, but I was mostly out and about anyway.

It seemed like the perfect location to travel to different sights from. It's only a 10-15 minute walk over the Danube via the bridge to walk into Buda. I used to look forward to that walk in the mornings when I was going to Buda, because as you can imagine, it's very picturesque. I saw lots of the sights, in Buda and Pest, and I walked to them all from this hotel. Sometimes it would only take me 15 mins to get somewhere, sometimes maybe 35 if it was further away, but the point I'm making is, this place is central enough to walk everywhere. Maybe for people who happen to be a bit on the lazy side they won't want to walk everywhere, in which case they can take the tram.

It's also reasonably safe on the street outside (as safe as anywhere, you still have to be careful as with any place). I often walked home as a single young woman at about 10pm, and didn't get any hassle.

Buda is far more noisy, and where this hotel is, in Pest, it's much calmer. I really liked this, because it was only 10-15 mins walking into the hustle and bustle, but once I got back into Pest, into this hotel it was lovely and calm again. I thought that was ideal. Anyway, if I went back to Budapest I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask what view your room has before you book - make sure you get one with a Danube view! It's rea...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We were satisfied with this hotel. We booked a room with river and Parliament view, for which you pay additional 20 eur. If you do not mind the view, I think the "back" view is also nice in case your room is on the higher floor - you can see a church in the castle area. Parking is available for additional 15 eur/day. Breakfast was nice, possibility of sitting outsite is nice, spacially in summer.

Camberley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed here for my birthday back in February. The hotel is everything you expect from a city- centre based hotel.
Nice and polite, friendly staff with a twist of personallity. The rooms WOW factor is the view, if you are lucky enough to get the river view.

I would deffenetly recommend it for whom are stopping by for a weekend and want to be in a good location to the attractions and public transport.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunflower1987
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

This is a nice 4 star hotel (although I would say not as "artsy" as the name implies), I found it to deliver great value, the views are amazing, since it is located on the Danube bank right in front of the parliament, it is a 15-20min walk to the very center of the city, but it is a nice walk along the river banks and across the nearby bridge, which in spring is very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Pros: The room was clean, the view over the Dunabe river was beautiful, within walking distance to the downtown attractions. The Chelsea restaurant was great and service was excellent, but we only dined there once when there was only one other couple there. For the most part, the staff at the front desk were great (emphasis on the "most part"). Some staff seemed indifferent to customers or were slow to respond. The garden/patio that would be open on some days (closed on others, not sure why, certainly wasn't weather related) but it was nice to have breakfast in the garden.

Cons: Quite a bit of noise due to the hotel location. The BIGGEST concern I had was the hot water that guests were using for their tea at breakfast. It was dirty with sediment from the water dispenser. This wasn't fixed during my stay there even though it was brought up to the staff, my water was changed out in my cup but the dirty dispenser remained. It appeared that they knew it was a problem, but had no intention of fixing it. This is very unfortunate as I expect higher quality response from a 4 star hotel.

hue
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

This was the fourth of five smaller city hotels we stayed in during a trip from Istanbul to Vienna. This hotel was OK, but......

The hotel is well located on the river and is fine for playing tourists if one enjoys walking, especially on the Buda side. It is modern but it is not clear what value there is in being associated with the American artist Donald Sultan: it seems a bit precious especially if one doesn't care for the art works scattered around the property. They just aren't that special.

The rooms are comfortable, clean and functional.

Our reservations about this hotel are to do with service. It wasn't bad. It was just impersonal: no one seemed to recognise the guests, not just us. This lack was especially evident when compared with the similar quality hotels where we stayed during our trip and which we have reviewed elsewhere on TripAdvisor. We know hotels are businesses, but this one let it show through a lack of memorable service. And through the small things -- yes, we noticed the coffee machines were set to use slightly fewer beans than one would expect ... in the name of cost control and product uniformity.... and yes, we prefer a "good morning" rather than "what's your room number" when we come down for breakfast.

Essentially this is a higher-end tourist hotel in the volume market: nothing wrong with that, but could be more if the owners and management wanted.