“For Backpackers only. Gypsy's comfort. Never again!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yellow Submarine Lotus Youth Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Budapest
Yellow Submarine Lotus Youth Hostel
Ranked #495 of 651 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Warsaw, Poland
“For Backpackers only. Gypsy's comfort. Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

Good is only location.Close from Nyugati Railway station and main atraction in Pest.To Buda castle is far but has good underground/bus connetion.Hostel is dirty and noisy.If You want sleep - forget about this.Non stop party on reception or kitchen or dormitory rooms.Shared bathroom:I newer saw worest bathroom in my life - I think that better is in prison.
On privat rooms bathroom is also common ,but looking better.
Rooms are uncleaned with scrap walls.Beware! On this area is many gypsy's and in night can be dangerous.Beware also for pickpockets!
I few years very offen traveling to Budapest and know that Yellow submarine Hostel is one of worest place on this city.
Stay away!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Malanese

Families
Business
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

We travelled to Budapest from Cesky Krumlov via the trains, which was our first mistake...stuck in Ceske Budejovice for 2 hours after the direct train was cancelled, so we were a few hours late arriving to our pre-booked room at Yellow Sub. We had booked the room online, a few days previously, and had confirmed the day before arrival, so you can imagine our displesure when we arrived and were told that there were no rooms left - our room had been given away because we were late. I found out later that there had been no email sent to tell us this.

Instead of a hostel room, the manager promised us "an apartment all of ur own", at the same price as a room. Only problem was that it was three kilometres away. We got there eventually, only to find a dank disgusting cesspool of an apartment. Broken windows, graffiti everywhere, cockroaches...i reckon i even heard a rat. Unfortunately we'd paid four nights up front.

We went back to reception the next morning and asked for a refund, which Mr Mood Swings failed to provide. Apparently his policy is "no cash refunds, ever!" His female assistant intervened just as he was about to blow his stack and promised an internet transfer directly into my bank account. I provided all the details and was told it would happen two or three days later. 8 months down the track...i don't think i'll ever see that money again.

It's almost as cheap to stay in the Ibis hotel next door, which is exactly what we did.

I can't stress enough how foul this place was...do not go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank indie84

Travelers are raving about these Budapest hotels

moscow, russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

i booked a dorm for 3 nights ended up staying longer because the prices were flexible and the staff was interesting.. owner had mood swing every 5 minutes which was scary first but entertaining later.. especially in the evenings when the owner closed himself in the office with his female manager and a bottle of wine... the noises were pleasant afterward...
breakfast was ok, nothing special, just random hostel food, like anywhere else..
when the cleaning lady showed up, the rooms were sparkling, other times it wasn't that good but still ok.

• Liked — owner + manager secret office evenings, laundry service, breakfast, security, free i-net
  • Disliked — strict house rules, being quit after 10pm
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank carol0690
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2007

I booked in here when traveling Europe for a few months and was really disappointed. The hostel is close to the station and homeless people begging for money were hanging around the front doors. As a female traveling on my own my first impression was not great. Not to be put off, I lugged my gear up to the third floor where I was told that my room was around in the next street in a separate building. I was given a map and key and sent on my way, after paying upfront. The back street was actually a gaping hole of road works and I had to cross a long and dodgy plank of wood (carrying heavy gear) to get into the rooms. The rooms themselves are stark but this is not surprising, the smell however, the very thin curtains, lack of bedding and a towel (towels are extra) were a problem as this had not been indicated on the web site. The road works were noisy as is the area in general. As opposed to the extremely bright front room I was given, on the ground floor where everyone can look in through the thin curtain, the bathroom was damp with no natural light and the whole place just gave me the creeps. I subsequently found a room through the local tourist office for the same price, in a lovely place in the Opera area (much safer). The room in this hotel was clean, comfortable, came with a good sized ensuite, towels, bedding, lift, breakfast at a local restaurant, TV, mini bar and air conditioning. Absolutely no comparison for the price.
The only good thing about Yellow Sub was that the girl on duty gave me my money back in full which I was not expecting, so I give her full credit for that one.

• Liked — The refund
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TandGTravels
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2007

The Yellow Sub offers a genuine fawlty towers experience. With an inconsolably angry manager who provided us with non stop entertainment thoughout.

Not only did he insult us, but incidents such as him coming into the girls shower room - which is also a laundry - to do the washing and pushing out a girl who was trying to get changed was hospitality with a kick. Cancelling the happy breakfast, (or whatever the special offer was) and providing possibly the cheapest Hungarian Tesco extra value breakfast this side of the Danube.

We were originally offended but realised that he was a hugely effusive character and after a while were charmed by his mood swings. Would go back for the sheer comedy value.

Stayed January 2006
3 Thank Tim_C53
Vila Praia de Ancora, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

booked on the day for a very spacious double room.
friendly staff. excellent location!!!

• Liked — location and big room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends