My husband stayed in this hotel for three weeks while working in Budapest in early 2011. I visited for two weeks. He appreciated the buffets served at breakfast and dinner - he really liked the variety of foods available, especially those that one would not typically find in a North American hotel. I prefered to order from the menu for dinner. The waiters were very nice and helpful. Everyone was very helpful and polite and tried to make it easy for us as we did not speak Hungarian at all.
We booked this hotel because of the spa and were not disappointed. We loved having access to the thermal pools whenever we wanted - it was a great way for my husband to relax after a long day at work and really convenient to be able to pop in at any time of the day. I purchased a package of treatments and found it to be quite reasonable (compared to North American prices). I took a couple of the classes, as well. Yoga entirely in Hungarian was a new and different experience :) Luckily, the instructor for the water exercises spoke a little English as did most of the people doing the treatments.
The location was quite away from the main part of the city. For me, this was not a concern and gave me plenty of opportunities for exercise. I was always able to find a cab to take me back at the end the day if I was too tired to walk. Cabs were a bit more problematic for my husband, however. Not the availablity but the variability in price to get to and from his work site each day. It depended on which cab he took but the price was always different and sometimes quite expensive ... nothing to do with the hotel all, though.
Sure, the hotel was a bit dated from the outside as was the restaurant. But, we had a great view of the Danube and didn't find it noisy at all. And, as I said, we had access to the thermal pools which, for me, was the key selling point.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Work or pleasure? We cater for both! What makes the Helia so special? That’s a matter of perspective. This is a wellness hotel with a wide range of fitness and spa services for guests in need of some pampering. However, it’s also a fully equipped conference hotel with all the facilities to host top quality professional events. The wellness and conference hotel is located in Budapest’s dynamic XIIIth district, on the bank of the Danube. The city centre is just 15 minutes away, while the nearby Margaret Island offers a host of recreational activities – from cycling, tennis and swimming to relaxing walks in beautiful parkland. Whether you’d like to unwind after work – or get away from work altogether – our wellness centre is the perfect spot. It has an adventure pool, swimming pool, sauna and a two-storey fitness club with stunning panoramic views. The hotel’s thermal bath is fed by natural thermal water from Margaret Island’s springs. Guests arriving by car can keep their vehicles safe in the hotel’s own car park, and travel into the centre by trolleybus or bus. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Expedia, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Priceline, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Danubius Hotel Helia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia Hotel Budapest
- Danubius Health Hotel Helia
- Danubius Health Budapest