“Spa was so relaxing”

Danubius Hotel Helia
Ranked #68 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband stayed in this hotel for three weeks while working in Budapest in early 2011. I visited for two weeks. He appreciated the buffets served at breakfast and dinner - he really liked the variety of foods available, especially those that one would not typically find in a North American hotel. I prefered to order from the menu for dinner. The waiters were very nice and helpful. Everyone was very helpful and polite and tried to make it easy for us as we did not speak Hungarian at all.

We booked this hotel because of the spa and were not disappointed. We loved having access to the thermal pools whenever we wanted - it was a great way for my husband to relax after a long day at work and really convenient to be able to pop in at any time of the day. I purchased a package of treatments and found it to be quite reasonable (compared to North American prices). I took a couple of the classes, as well. Yoga entirely in Hungarian was a new and different experience :) Luckily, the instructor for the water exercises spoke a little English as did most of the people doing the treatments.

The location was quite away from the main part of the city. For me, this was not a concern and gave me plenty of opportunities for exercise. I was always able to find a cab to take me back at the end the day if I was too tired to walk. Cabs were a bit more problematic for my husband, however. Not the availablity but the variability in price to get to and from his work site each day. It depended on which cab he took but the price was always different and sometimes quite expensive ... nothing to do with the hotel all, though.

Sure, the hotel was a bit dated from the outside as was the restaurant. But, we had a great view of the Danube and didn't find it noisy at all. And, as I said, we had access to the thermal pools which, for me, was the key selling point.

Room Tip: The Danube side was lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank COzols
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for sharing your positive experiences about our hotel with other travellers.
We are glad that you were able to try the most of our wide range of services and really liked our foods at breakfast and dinner, our spa zone with thermal pools, variety of treatments and classes. Happy to learn that you loved our very helpful and polite staff, and enjoyed the great view from your room to the Danube side .
We would be very pleased to have you choose our Hotel again during your next visit to Budapest.

Viktoria Boriszov

Write a ReviewReviews (2,538)

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Ok hotel that is well run with friendly staff and clean rooms. But a bit of renovation and a better kitchen would do no harm.

• Stayed: March 2012
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion about our hotel, especially the wonderfull service, friendly staff and clean rooms you were able to experience.
It is our continous effort to improve our services and appreciate your kind and constructive comments, which we will definitely take into consideration.
We hope that we will be able to welcoming you back to our Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia.

With best regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I stayed at Helia in February 2012 for 3 nights for a conference. I am originally from Budapest but I have been living abroad for a number of years now. If friends or colleagues asked me where to stay, I would probably never recommend this hotel. Why?
Mainly because it is quite far out of the center which is not such a big issue but it is not in the nicest part of the city for sure, tucked away between some old socialist block apartments. The building itself looks quite dated from the outside. If you need to go downtown, you either have to take a cab or the metro but the closest metro station does not look very inviting.
Inside the hotel looks much better, the lobby area with the cafe and the restaurant looks very nice. The reception staff is just super helpful and polite. I am not sure what the case is when you don't speak Hungarian but at least they were very kind with me. However, the rooms do not deserve a 4 star ranking, many 3 star hotels in Hungary have much more space and far better furnishings than this hotel. I guess the only reason why they got away with 4 stars is because of the extensive spa facilities available. Bear in mind, they are quite expensive unfortunately.
I was lucky enough to get a room with a view over the Danube and the opposite (Buda) side of the city, which was absolutely brilliant. However, I do know that the view from the other rooms is quite dreadful, overlooking some old factory chimneys and the socialist blocks.
Overall, the service was amazing, the breakfast (included in the room) was hearty but not brilliant while the room itself was average.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms with a view over the river.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank bubinator42
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review about our Hotel.
Being a wellness & conference Hotel our Hotel is really not located in the so called „city center”, but on the bank of the river Danube opposite the Margaret Island, offering a nice view to the Buda Hills from a big part of the rooms, which impressed you too.
One third of the rooms are facing the streetside, however those are avaliable at a lower rate.
It is much to our pleasure to learn that you liked our hotel inside, were satisfied with our helpful and polite reception staff, amazing service, hearty breakfast, and extensive spa.
Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

The key attraction of Budapest for me is thermal baths and as far as I know there are no suitable hotel with thermal pool inside (don't be mistaken by presence of some spa - pool must be supplied by thermal water). In my personal opinion all Danubius hotels with thermal pools located in Budapest are poorly managed facilities located in substandard buildings. Two of them are on the "lovely" Martsziget island which means low service and high dinner and transfer costs. One more is Gellert which looks like overprices offer of very average service (but after second thought... may be location on "other" side of town is proper place nowadays). There is also some fifth hotel with thermal pool located somewhere really far from the center. So Helia was last chance we gave to Budapest after first visit in 2006.

Well... Spa was good and extra treatments were high in quality and not too expensive. But if you don't rent car please use a bus (don't go that blue metro line - it is ugly side of life) and note that "Danube view" rooms facing really noisy road with large crossroads near one edge of the building. So depends of location your room can be VERY noisy during the nights.

And what I really disliked in modern Budapest are heavilly polluted air on Danube waterfront and packs of homeless and signs of their presence even on the main historical streets

Room Tip: Do not take premium rooms with "Danube view" - they facing really noisy road. Avoid rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for commenting our Hotel on Tripadvisor.
First of all we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyality to Danubius Hotels Group and for chosing our Danubius Health Spa resort Helia during your last visit to Budapest.
We are happy to learn that our nice Spa with high quality treatments were all to your great satisfaction and our motto „good value for money” was fulfilled herewith.
It is much to our regret that you found your room noisy, although our windows are all soundproofed and especially our Danube side rooms are usually considered quiet by our guests.

We hope that we can welcome you back to our Hotel.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

very clean , nice stuff , good location-500 m for the metro . good breakfast , the diner is good on the weekend and can be better on weekdays.the wi-fi is not free and the concecion was't very good . don't chang money in the hotel - the rate is very low comper to the city . the spa is nice - very clean and good treatments.the only thing that drive me crazy was that it was too hot in the room !!! i know it is winter and it cold but u can't shut doun the heating and it was too much .

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment about our Hotel.
We are glad that you had a pleasant stay and were satisfied with our friendly staff, good location, delicious food & beverage and our great spa.
Regarding heating, we will investigate your comments and will do all our best to improve it.
We are glad to announce that wi-fi will be available free of charge at the territory of the Lobby, Restaurant, Coffee Shop, public areas as of April 1st 2012 and the connection will also be better.
We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

This place is located one block from the Danube, on the "Pest" side, but on the far east part of town, half a km after the beautiful Parliament building. This means the location is somewhat covenant to the parliament, but you don't get the best views of the "Buda" side, which you get at hotels more to the west.

The place is large and has a nice spa; the food at the restaurant, however, is pretty bland, hotel food at its most mediocre. You will do well to take your meals anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Dear Mr. Lanzer,

Thank you for posting a note about our Hotel on Tripadvisor and for chosing our Hotel.
We hope that you enjoyed your stay and glad that you liked our nice spa.
We are continually improving the services and facilities provided in the hotel and will definitely take on board your comments regarding the food at the restaurant for our future plans and development projects.
Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back,
with best regards

Reviewed February 22, 2012

This is a hotel I have visited several times, and Ive always loved it.The pools with the thermalwater are simply wonderfull! Massages, pedicure, lots of treatments. This year they even had installed a salt-cave.The rooms are okay - with minibar, safe and coffe/tea making facilities, and hair-dryer,bathrobe, shampoo and all those things in the bathroom.The staff is very service-minded and everything is very nice and clean.
But this february...
I booked a "winter-invitation" package - and they forgot to offer me the "extras". Well, I didn't mind - I did not need a discount on the Budapest-card and free entrance to the historical baths.Been there, done that!
But there was a problem with food.When I arrived, the kitchen was closed - the only thing they could offer me in the bar/coffeshop was 2 scones that I took up to my room.The next day the restaurant was closed, they served lunch a la carte in the bar. Not much to choose from, a tiny table without tablecloth, lots of noice and traffic as the place opens up to the lobby/reseption, the eleveators, the spa...When I got back from the theatre at night the only things left in the bar/coffeshop was one danish and 2 cheese-sandwiches.No restaurant, no roomservice... But the third day I had a lovely early dinner in the restaurant. I was happy to see that it was not a buffet-restaurant any more.
The location is not so good in february. You must walk 500 - 600 meters in rain or sleeth and cold wind to get to the subwaystation. And no restaurants near by...
But after all - the wonderful thermalwater is what I come for...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, which we greatly appreciate, especially from you as a returning guest.
We are very happy that you love our pools, extensive wellness treatments, nice and clean rooms, i.e. service-minded staff which facilities contribute to always choose our Hotel during your Budapest visits.
It is much to our regret to learn that this time we missed to provide you with with the coupons for the package booked. As a compensation, let me offer you free upgrade to a nice Deluxe room overlooking the river Danube during your next stay.
Regarding Restaruant, I suggest you to advise us in advance in case you shall need some food after the opening hours and we will prepare it for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel again.