“Hotel of my dreams :)”

Danubius Hotel Helia
Ranked #71 of 335 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We was there on winter vacation, for new year. Hotel is near center, you have 5 min with taxi to the center and about 30 min. if you want walk. Rooms are large, clean and warm all the . We was enjoy in pool, sauna every day after long walks in the city. Breakfast? I can`t describe that...very very delicious, like in dreams :)) . Staff is very kind and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank EmilijaPR
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Dear Valued Guest!

Thank you very much having taken your time to post a positive note about our Hotel.
We are very pleased that you had a great time at our Hotel during your winter vacation and glad to learn that you enjoyed our delicious breakfast, our spa facilities and our friendly staff.
We look forward to serving you in your Hotel of your dreams again and wish you Merry Xmas!.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed here with my partner our first time in Budapest and we were not dissapointed. It's a good looking hotel with a nice little spa and satisfying rooms. Service was polite, our room clean and bright and the little spa-area was realxing after a day by foot. Helia is quite near Westend City-Center, a big shopping mall with hundreds of boutiques. Unfortunately the hotel is far from Vaci Utca, the big tourist street and rather far from main tourist attractions. But if you want to take a walk on Margaret Island its location is great.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Dear Maijja,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion about our Hotel with other travellers.
We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with our rooms, spa, polite staff and good location on the bank of the river Danube, opposite the Margaret Island.
We do hope that we can welcome you soon back again at our Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

Let me begin by saying that there isn't much wrong with this hotel at all - I've been biased by staying in a different hotel in Budapest the night before that I preferred much more! See my other review if you're interested...

the Helia health spa is exactly what you would expect from a large corporate hotel. It has all of the facilities that you would need, spa, meeting rooms, office facilities, laundry etc. The staff are polite & friendly, rooms are clean, beds are comfortable etc.

The only thing that I can fault it for is that even during a damp and chilly October the hotel was way too hot! I'm sure that this is great when you're wandering to the spa in your fluffy dressing gown but for me trying to sleep in that heat wasn't good. There is an 'air con' unit but it seems that it heats the room but doesn't cool it. Leaving the window open is an option if you don't mind the road noise but my room looked out over the reception where a very large & noisy chiller unit kept running all night.

I thought that it was just my room but several others commented on it being a problem for them too.

If you want a consistent, good, clean hotel that has all the facilities on the banks for the Danube then stay here. If you're after a hotel with some character and better value then a bit of searching can turn up wonders

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ninja_fox
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for your comment.
We are pleased that you generally had a good impression during your stay, and liked our polite staff, clean rooms, comfortable beds and extensive services. We are greatful that you shared your experience with us regarding heating, which we will investigate.
We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our Hotel in the future again.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Stayed in the Helia for 6 days, I was on business so didn't get a chance to try out the spa etc, but the rooms and hotel itself were clean and the staff were very friendly. Big shopping centre about 20 mins walk away (if you don't get lost!) but other than that not much in the area, however it is situated well if you need to get onto the motorways etc, and metro and tram stops are nearby.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank StephenMcGovern
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Dear Mr. McGovern,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for a positive note about our Hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are very happy that you were satisfied with our very friendly staff, cleanliness of our rooms, and our easy accessibility.
We would like to hope that by the time of your next visit to Budapest, you will allow us the opportunity to accommodate you at our Danubius Health Spa Resort Helia again.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in the hotel on our visit to Budapest a week ago, staff wasnt very friendly either and spoke english poorly, made you feel uninvited. We couldnt didnt have any spa treatments done as they were fully booked and surely this was the main reason we have booked the hotel. Nobody advised us the whole time that is necessary to make an appointment far ahead and the person from reservation new the whole time that we surely want massages done. When we arrived we find out that parking isnt included in the price and is almost 1GBP per hour. We decided to cancel the 3rd nite still within 24H notice period but we have been told that they need to increased the price. Well we werent aware that we are signing 3nigths package instead of that we were advised of normal 24H cancellation policy... the breakfast was great and the room was nice, as already mentioned with a great view... but you pay for the room like it was 5 star which is not. The whole set up is very "Communism like" old and corners were yellowish, water running slow... I am not sure we did the best by booking this hotel, but who knows I have never tried any other hotels in Budapest and also, when it comes to all the capital cities around the world they all are overprised. Alena & Gilles

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
DanubiusHelia, yield & revenue manager at Danubius Hotel Helia, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Dear Alena & Giles,

Thank you for your having chosen our Hotel during your visit to Budapest.
We appreciate your notes, especially knowing that we were the first Hotel you commented on Tripadvisor.
We regret to learn that you did not have the possibilty to try our massages due to full house. It might happen in high demand period that an appointment is to be booked 1-2 days in advance. We are sorry that you could not take the option of other alternative massages or treatments usually offered by our collegeus in such cases.
We are pleased that you liked our breakfast, the room and the great Danube view.
We hope that we were able to reply to all your questions, i.e. inconveniences regarding parking fee and long term discount on room rate in correspondences you had with our Assistant General Manager by e-mail.
If we could be of any further assistance to you, please feel free to contact us.
We would like to hope that next time you chose to visit Budapest, you will allow us to show you the effort we put into making you feel mostly welcomed.

yield & revenue manager

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at the Helia Hotel for 10 days. I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel. Hotel is located in the Pest side of Budapest 10 minutes from the centre by bus.
My room was very nice (a twin room) with tea making facilities air con which worked really well as it was hot some days, I could open window as well, minibar etc on the 5th floor over looking the main entrance of the hotel so not over looking the river. Room was very clean quite slept very well on a non smoking floor. Bed really comfortable hard with the best cushions I have had in a hotel two different sizes on thin one and another one bigger.
When you book specify if you want to be in a nonsmoking floor or a smoking one. My floor was a non smoking while the 6th floor it's for smokers. Thought I would advise you to bring ear plugs, rooms are not sound proofed so it depends who you have on your floor and below you. One can hear other people slumming doors on occasions I think I was lucky overall other guests where quite or tired from sightseeing so went to sleep early.
It's really easy to get to the hotel with n75 bus from the centre that also takes you to Heroes Square & the Zoo. I came back always before midnight on my own using the bus never had any problems never waited the bus longer then 5 minutes bus stop near the hotel on the main road. I also went to Margaret Island by n bus 133 at the same stop as n.75 on main road direction Arpaud Hid and then n 26 bus into the Island easy.
Room had bathrobes which I put on and used to go down in the spa I didn't feel embarassed that there where people dressed normal in the lobby while I was in a bathrobe as there where other people wearing bathrobes as well it's normal no big deal. If you have long hair u have to tie back your hair in a ban before entering pools & have a shower I am mentioning this as some tourist wheren't doing so they where told
( there are signs)...
The spa was very clean loved the different temperatures thermal pools, one swimming pool, one large jacuzzi really relaxing. I also went up to the roof, deck chairs and got a tan.
I joined some of the classes offered for hotel guests for free. I raccomend aquatics easy to follow even if you don't speak Hungarian, yoga & pilates.
Stuff both in the spa and in the main reception where very helpful, friendly & spoke English I went up to them on several occasions with questions and they always helped me.
Opposite the Hotel there is a supermarket similar to our Liddle u have to go around the building to get in it's got a symble of a red purse smiling opposite there is a superdrug kind store called Rossemann. There are also other small Hungarian shops cafe's on the same road of the hotel on the rigth hand side. I found one one good one near the flower shop at the back of n75 bus stop that sold really nice homemade pastries, doghnut with jam. The area seems a working class area but safe and near centre good location, north side of pest.
Can't comment on breakfast didn't have breakfast.
About internet I would advise you to use internet outside of hotel if you are on a budget like me that there are cheaper internet cafe's outside of the hotel in the centre of Budapest 250 F x hour not 1000 F (expencive) that they charge at the hotel. I booked my flight boarding pass at an internet cafe' in the centre of town much cheaper.
Really enjoyed my stay here didn't want to leave & I will be back at the hotel I didn't have any problems also at checking in or check out.

Room Tip: Room with best views are on the river.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Mithri123

Dear Valued Guest,

Your positive note is very important for us, especially from you as a frequent traveller and commenter on Tripadvisor.
We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our extensive services you were able to experience from best bed you ever had, to pools, classes, sun tanning terrace, location, and our helpful & friendly staff.

yield & revenue manager

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Nice rooms and good ambience!
Some money (Euros) disappeared from my wallet which was on my blazer's pocket, lefted on my room while I was at the spa area. Complaining about the situation (don't know if it was the room keeper, the person who refurbishes the minibar or someone other), the managing offers another stay for free to forget the bad feeling I had. Obviously I did not accept, but they dealed very professionally with the situation. Maybe the fault was mine: I shouldn't left the wallet on the room, but here is the warning...
Very nice spa and bath area. You have it all at this hotel.

Room Tip: for a little more, ask for a room faced to Danubius river, some of thm with balcony
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business