“Good hotel, even... hot”

Peregrinus ELTE Hotel
Ranked #139 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Iasi, Romania
“Good hotel, even... hot”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Well, I was with my family (3 persons) for formula 1 week-end, in a very hot and animated Budapest. The location of the hotel is excellent, near oane of the most famous commercial streets in eastern Europe: Vaci utca (Vaci street). Another plus is that the hotel is very close to the Danube.
The location of the hotel helps you to walk along the center o historical Budapest, a very superb city.
Despite the fact that the hotel does not have parking area, you have no worry. The oneway streets have in both parts a lot of parking. The schedule for parking: 8.00 - 20.00 (440 HUF/hour, 3 hours max). After 8.00 o'clock PM, 'till 8.00 in the morning, the parking is free. Likewise the weekend.
It is a very cozy and quiet hotel, use an alarm clock if you want to get up. Despite the central area, is a very silence flat.

Room Tip: Don't worry about parking
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Pros:
-Great location near loads of shops, restaurants, and the river.
-Very helpful staff (they even made our reservation at the baths for a massage for no extra charge. -And they let you bring their towels with you, saving you having to rent them)
-Wifi included
-elevator
-tv with cable (including a few channels in English)
-elevator

Cons: very skimpy breakfast

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marqgal
Castelo Branco, Portugal
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have booked in this hotel because it was very near the Eötvös Loránd University where I was attending a meeting for a week. The room that was assigned to me had no air conditioned, although the temperatures outside were around 34ºC and inside the room more than 30ºC. When I complained they decided to show me an air conditioned room in the attic, with no opening windows, but temperature in the attic was more than 40ºC in the corridor and also inside the room. So I decided to stay in the first room, although I knew I was unable to sleep with that kind of heat. At the same time, I decided to move to another hotel the next day, but they charged me two nights although I only stayed one night, because they said I had a reservation for more days. The reason I had to move was directly concerned with the lack of conditions in this hotel, that clearly should be closed when temperatures are high. Unfortunately they overcharged me because I could not sleep in there.
Also the hotel should be classified with one star, if any, instead of three stars they show outside.
Do not stay in this hotel, besides having no conditions is a complete rip-off !!!
João Pedro Luz.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at this good priced, centrally located hotel. We had a special personal experience with some of the staff members even though their English was not fluent. The hotel even did our washing at our request at no extra cost!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The staff is very kind, nice and helpful, especially the lady who takes care about the breakfast.
The rooms are bright, tidy, clean and very big.
The position is great and the prices are more than reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Grenoble
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have stayed in Peregrinus hotel several times while visiting a colleague at the University. The hotel is smart and has real style. I always found the rooms clean. The minibars work well. The staff are all very friendly. The breakfast is nice and is run by a lovely kind and helpful lady!! I look forward to my next trip there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank funkylittlefrog
Long Jetty, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Perfect location at a reasonable price

The Peregrinus ELTE is about 70 metres from the main shopping mall, Vaci Utca, and fairly close to the metro, tram and bus network. The room price is very reasonable and the quality of the rooms is excellent. One disadvantage is that its difficult to find. Arriving by train we then took the subway train to Ference Ter and it wasn’t until I found the tourist office that we got a marked map to direct us to the hotel. Even with the streets listed, none of the locals – even 2 police- could point us in the correct direction. It took an hour to eventually find the hotel. I suggest the hotel could email a detailed map when confirming a booking.
Check in was friendly but formal. The room very large with twin beds pushed together – quite comfortable. There were 2 wardrobes, ample shelves, stocked bar fridge, 2 windows overlooking a street and a church across the road, desk and chair, and a table with 2 chairs. The bathroom was off the entrance hall opposite the wardrobes. A very spacious bedroom, however, the bathroom is small by comparison.
Breakfast was good – juices, breads, meats, cheese, cereals, tea, coffee, toast, but no hot serve only boiled eggs. WiFi was excellent with fast reception. I wish my home connection was as good. Hotel staff were very obliging with a requested late check-out. We were allowed us to stay in our room late then they stored our bags and allowed us to change our clothes before heading to the airport in the afternoon.
On the negative side, the garbage collection is every morning at 6 with plastic bins banging around downstairs. Also, cars and other vehicles on cobblestone street are noisy through the nite. Therefore you should avoid street view rooms. Also the walls are quite thin – we could hear the TV and talking from adjoining rooms. And finally, the bed quilt was not long enough for my 183cm.
WARNING: Two Budapest taxi drivers tried to rip us off. One saying it would be 4000 forint to the hotel when the fare is 2500 from the main station about 3 kilometres away. The other saying that the fare to the airport was 2000 forint more than the metered fare. Be sure you set a price before you get into the taxi.

Room Tip: Avoid street view rooms because of the noise. Get a good map of the hotel location before you try...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple