“Overall positive”

Ranked #12 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Tirgu Mures, Romania
“Overall positive”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very good placement: in a big plaza with shops and restaurants. The building is the strongest point 10/10, an old building renovated one somehow totally different with the neo/modernist style of rooms.
Rooms are not very large, but was clean, very well and newly furnished, also a LCD Tv with international programs there. WiFi connection is for free at good speed, you will receive the password from reception.
The bed and the lines were perfect. You have a worktable, a mini bar in the room and a water heater to prepare tea or instant coffee (you have three type of tee available, instant coffee and a sparkling water complimentary).
The bathroom is very nice furnished equipped with all necessary.
The hotel has no restaurant, then for dinner you need to go out from the hotel.
Breakfast is normal for a four stars hotel: good variety and quality for food.
Points to improve:
- the room heater (air conditioning)- I didn’t find the way to set on heating and for the highest speed is noisy
-I stayed in a room oriented to the tram station and is a little noisy because of traffic (for me was not a problem, but could be for others)
-parking is in the back of the hotel, in the space of Novotel, then you must travel with luggage the street (I understood that is the possibility to left the car in front of the hotel, discuss with reception and a people from staff will parking for you the car in the parking- but nobody told me even I call the reception before arriving to ask for parking). You must pay for parking around 15-20 Euro per day.
Staff are very friendly and customers oriented, available to offer any information any time.
Overall a positive experience

Room Tip: Request a room with back hotel view, because of the noise early morning (due to tram station in fron...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Xdmat
Zoltan K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nemzeti Budapest - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear XDmat!

Thank you for Your extensice comment! First of all allow me to thank you for the positive remarks! I am glad that overall it was a good experience for you to stay with us! Also allow me to reflect on some of the crucial points you have mentioned in your review; as you yourself mentioned, we do have valet service available for all our guests, so it is not neccessary to walk over from the garage to the hotel.
We have warm dishes available for all our guests 24 hours a day, the menu varies depending on the time of the day!
Some of our guests prefer to stay in rooms facing the street ( it is a very busy road indeed, but all rooms have double windows, and all windows have two layered thermal and soundproof insulated glass) with view, others prefer the peace and quiet of our inner courtyard, we leave it up to them to decide at the time of the check-in as the latest.
Once again thank you for your comments, that will help to improve our services.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights for my birthday weekend in December! The easiest way from the airport to the hotel, especially if you have luggage, is to simply order a taxi. At the airport ignore any taxi touts and go outside the terminal to a little building with "Taxi" on it. Here is the official airport taxi operator - Fotaxi - and the person there will order you a taxi to your destination and give you a receipt which has the price and the taxi vehicle number on it. That taxi will then come direct to you and off you go! 5,800 HUF (21 EUR) to the hotel. Also if you keep your receipt then it offers you preferential taxi rates whilst in Budapest, and a pretty good discount for when you want to return to the airport at the end of your trip.

The check-in was the main problem during my stay. Most hotels offer a choice of either a small pre-authorisation to your card or paying as you go for any incidentals e.g. bar/minibar. The amount they asked for was €50 PER NIGHT, which was €300 extra for the whole stay and more than the price I had paid for the room. My card didn't like this amount and the authorisation was refused. The only way they would let me not "pay" the extra €300 was to empty the minibar in my room... I don't use minibars anyway but this request made me feel uneasy and that we weren't trusted to be there. Not a good start to the trip.

As the hotel knew it was my birthday, they'd given me a special treat of a complimentary bottle of wine in my room which was a really nice surprise! The room was spacious with attention to detail, very comfortable beds and a built in wardrobe. The bathroom was on the small side but more than adequate. The one thing which let the bathroom down was the shower; it was a bath with a shower placed on the wall, but the shower was not a proper "fixed" shower and seemed to be an afterthought. It was placed too low and on the wrong wall so to use it you either had to crouch down or hold the shower head. I'd hope that the showers are improved sometime soon.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed my stay here and it was a pleasure to come back to such a charming building both with its interior and exterior. The hotel's location is one of its best selling points - the hotel is directly opposite the tram stop for lines 4 and 6 which run along the Grand Boulevard. These run every few minutes and tram line 6 even runs every 15 minutes throughout the night! This makes it really easy to get nearly anywhere in Budapest quickly and cheaply. There's also a great music pub/club/restaurant nearby called Old Man's Pub, it's a MUST if you're in the area!

I would definitely consider staying here again when I return to Budapest if the problems with check-in and pre-authorisation amounts are resolved.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ciderchris82
Zoltan K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nemzeti Budapest - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear DIDIER/LUC FERON/GAUPIN,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Hotel Nemzeti Budapest. I am sorry that your experience did not entirely meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At the same time I am happy to read that nevertheless You had a nice stay with us.

At M Gallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Constanta, Romania
Reviewed January 15, 2013

me and some friends stayed here for 2 nights while being in budapest. it seemed like a nice hotel, and it is... it looks great but it has its major issues. we booked two different rooms, one of them had a noisy heating system and got flooded after we took a shower, so we changed it with a new one without sound problems but still with drainage problems, and the other booked room had no functional heating system and got flooded of course, so it also had to be changed.
we also had (and still have) some issues with an amount of money that they charged as a guarantee (200 E/ 2 rooms) for the mini bar?! which did not return to our friend's account up to this day.

Room Tip: it seems that there is no such thing. all the rooms have issues with the drainage system in the bath...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank psipsine
Zoltan K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nemzeti Budapest - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear psipsine,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Hotel Nemzeti Budapest. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations entirely; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I can assure You that all maintenance issues are addressed as soon as they are noticed. At M Gallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Best regards,
Yorkshire
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were on our way to Slovakia by air and train and decided to stay for a couple of days in Budapest on the way. I learned of the Nemzeti (State) hotel via the Accor hotels' website This hotel opened early in December 2012 and is a superb renovation of a late 19th century building. However the real attraction of this hotel is the quality of the accommodation and the attention of the staff.

The rooms are satisfactory in size, the high ceilings make the floor area seem a bit small but the rooms are modern with minimalist decor and furnishings and the old an new styles meld very well. The bed is the MOST comfortable I can ever remember sleeping in,

The locxation is close to the city centre, trams and metro are very close as are city centre attractions. the excellent New York cafe is five minutes walk away.

The staff from the desk to the waiters via the porter are very well trained, friendly, capable and most helpful. Arriving via the airport shuttle the porter was waiting by the vehicle doors almost before we had stopped in torrential rain. Arrangements for a departure taxi were excellent, even the taxi driver went into the station to check the departure platforms. Rarely do I rate things excellent because customer feedback forms seem to expect excellent mark for reaching normal expectations of service. However in this case the hotel rates the accolade and our experience was excellent value for money at 150 euro fro a (promotional) 2 night stay.

Room Tip: The hotel is built around a courtyard, which is covered with an lovely stained glass canopy and form...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rabjohn
Zoltan K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nemzeti Budapest - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear rabjohn,

It was heartwarming to have read your nice words about your stay with us on your latest trip to Budapest. I really hope that there will another time when we will be able to welcome you back to Budapest and to Hotel Nemzeti!

Hong Kong
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights during the New Year period. This is the best hotel of my 3-city trip. The building itself is newly renovated, beautiful art décor and clean. Location is just steps of subway, bus and tram station, very convenient yet quiet. There are burger King, McDonalds and Supermarket in the area, and there is one money exchange just beside the hotel with very good rate.

Staffs speaks good English, is helpful and polite. Would be much better if they can provide PC on the lobby area for guests to use. Excellent Wifi, though it is annoying you have to connect it again every time. Can do some improvement on the TV channels, there is no English speaking channels except for the BBC world.

Room and bathroom are spacious, with tea/coffee and kettle provided. Bed is averagely comfortable as I find it a bit soft, but compare to the other two hotels I have stayed, this one is still better.

Overall, I will stay again if I found myself in Budapest again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Zoltan K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nemzeti Budapest - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
I would like to inform You that we do have computers available at the reception for our guests to use upon request.
At the moment there is one sports, channel, one music channel and BBC in English, we will look into possibilities of expanding our selection of TV channels.

Zoltan Kerekgyarto
Rooms Division Manager
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The rooms have been recently renovated, the modern taste of the forniture and decoration creates a very nice contrast with the old neoclassic building (we had a view on the inner courtyard, just amazing palace). The room was very clean, beds really comfortable, no noise (nothwithstanding the building is located on a quite noisy street). The staff was really kind and helpful (they brought our luggages in the room and then to the taxi when we left). Furthermore, the location is ideal (the metro station is just n front of the hotel and you can reach the city centre in 15-20 minutes.
We strongly recommand this hotel, very good price/quality ratio!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danylux
Dear Danylux!

Thank you so much for Your positive feedback! I was very happy to read them. I hope we can welcome You once again in our hotel in the near future!

London
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hotel was great - comfortable and well located. The staff were polite and helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel and will be coming again. The breakfast was amazing and I loved the attention to detail! Thank you to everyone at the hotel. Lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie B
Dear Julie B.,

Thank you for your positive feedback! I am glad you enjoyed the stay with us! Hope to welcome you back on your next trip.