“Awful! Would never go there again!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marco Polo Top Ho(s)tel

Marco Polo Top Ho(s)tel
Ranked #63 of 651 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
“Awful! Would never go there again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Receptionists useless, not helpful at all. We had a room for 4 people, bathroom stank, tv didn't work, wifi doesn't work in rooms, springs coming out of my bed cut me and tore my trousers, told receptionist and she was useless told me to lie on the sofa bed, didn't even apologise. NO KITCHEN..even though there is a sign for kitchen on a door on the third floor, breakfast disgusting, 4 lockers in room but only one key, lift unstable, cold shower, noisy at night, church bell down the road rings every 15minutes,thin walls, could hear the people in the next room. I wasn't expecting 5* from a hostel but the furniture was outdated and huge chips out of wood

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank catannemartin
Judit I, Manager at Marco Polo Top Ho(s)tel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your review!
I really am very sorry that you had such a bad experience in our hostel.
Regarding points we can change we do our best to improve, like staff at the reception (nicer, more helpful, more professional - better communication), double check again the fournitures (cleaning ladies and repair man are continously doing their best to find and solve the problems), etc. Until recently we had a small kitchenett but we have closed it - sorry if an earlier left-out sign confused you! We took it off!
The free Wi-Fi is only available near the reception area and down in our bar/common room. We would give the chance for our guests to meet with fellow travellers and chat in person - but we also respect the need of travellers to use free Wi-Fi. We also offer the use of computer down our bar!
Each and every single locker has it's own key - please ask from the reception in case you would use all of them!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

my husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in February when there was ice and snow on pavements from a harsh long winter. It was extremely cold still but for me it was a bonus, the old buildings oozed even more charm with the snow and sunlight combined. It's within a 5 min walk of the opera house, shops, museums, restaurants and even a bar named Alcatraz done up like the prison and staff dressed as inmates etc!! Obviously being a hostel the room was very basic two skinny single beds in the room and bars at the windows looking out on bullet ridden buildings from the past locals don't want to forget. Breakfast was served in the cellar bar area, I loved it even though we were by far the oldest guests at 50+ ! My husband didn't enjoy his stay quite as much due to becoming ill with a chest infection and would have preferred a few more home comforts but he still appreciated the loacation and ambience. We intend to go back and would stay here again though my husband said it would have to be in warmer weather.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your nice comment - I really liked the style of it!
Hope we can welcome you an other - warmer - period of the year as well! :))
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

As it was a hostel, I booked a quadruple room with an en-suite so that we didn't have to share a room with anyone. The room was basic but clean, we had two beds and a bunk bed, the only real complaint was that the top bunk moved about a lot. It was a hostel so I didn't expect air conditioning, however in August it is hot in Budapest, and we had a room facing the road so it was noisy to have the windows open. There's also a church down the road who's bells go off every quarter, but this wasn't too bad.

The receptionists were all very friendly and spoke good English, however at times there were hoards of backpackers clogging reception up at times (but it's a hostel so to be expected). Thankfully when my group of 4 checked in it was fairly quiet. There was a very good bar at the hostel with reasonably priced drinks and a friendly bartender, a good starting place for a night out.

I found the breakfast absolutely awful even for hostel standards. Tasteless rolls with some jam, ham or cheese, very dry croissants with a little chocolate and some off tasting bread for toasting (the toasters there didn't seem that reliable). There was a boiler full of tea (not boiling water with tea bags at the side, ready made tea) which was so weak it tasted foul. There was a coffee machine which was decent but it was hidden away and we only found it on the last morning. There was also a lack off staff at breakfast to replace items which had run out.

The hostel is located near enough to the centre of Budapest, and a 20 minute walk from the Keleti train station or one stop on the metro (though the metro stations are notoriously difficult to find, there's hardly any sign posts at all). A short walk south brings you to the region of Budapest with the cheaper restaurants and bars, then things get more expensive towards the centre. The hostel can also organise excursions, we used them to book the Gellert Baths (expensive but I'd highly recommend it!).

On the whole, the hostel is ideal if you want somewhere cheap and adequate to stay which is fairly central but don't really eat breakfast or book the room without breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main road can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank davidphillips2803
Thank you for your review! :) Mostly for your comments regarding the breakfast: we do our best to improve it! I really liked your idea with the possibility that everybody makes their own tea! We will implement it soon! As for the toaster - we already have new one which now works correctly. We will also speak with the bakery where we got the bread and croissants!
As for the coffee machine - it is located right on the way of the "all you can eat" breakfast" table. As we had this remark from others as well I have prepared some extra signes to show more obviously the location of the coffee machine! Hope it will help our next guest as well!!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Marco polo is devoid of the only purpose a hostel is designed to fulfull. Providing a place to sleep. They keep the courtyard open all night so that people can stumble in 24/7-the bedrooms are positioned around the courtyard. I can guarantee you will not have a second of sleep ifyou stay here. It ruined my stay in budapest. I have stayed in hostels all over europe and this comes in at the bottom.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback! I really am very sorry about this bad experince! We did not paid attention enough to close the court-yard door's in time: it should have been closed at 22:00 every day. We will pay even more attention!

Travelers are raving about these Budapest hotels

New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

No air conditioning or fan very hot this time of year. IThe bathroom floor was sopping wet noisy all hours of the night. I PAID $ 65 euro better to pay a bit extra for a nice 3 star hotel averaging around80 euros. There are many in the city center I booked through the tourist info center at the central station my advice check online yourself or walk around area of St Stephens Basilicca there are some nice hotels around.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review! As a hostel our services are less than in a hotel - though we really pay attention to cleanliness. Our best rates are avaialble in case of on-line or direct booking - though depending on avaibility as well.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I came across this place and checked the reviews, as I reslised I stayed here a couple of years ago, but never got around to reviewing. Shocked at the nonsense reviews here - No WiFi, A bit noisy etc. Hence the title of my review - might I repeat - Its a HOSTEL!

Ok - for the travellers out there looking for info on choosing this place. Its excellent value for money. In a climate of budget flights creating a mammoth city break industry, Budapest should be near the top of most couples & friends list, also any Non-Europeans backpacking DONT MISS this wonderful city, and when you arrive, relax about choosing where to stay if on a budget. This place has exactly what it should for the price and nature of the accomodation. Its smack bang in the middle of Buda, and anything you want to see or do in the city is easily accessible. Language barrier wasnt an issue as I recall, and the staff might not have been up to Disney standardss perhaps but who cares? It's a hostel! and a very pleasant one. The room was clean and the bed was fresh. There was a clean place for washing and it was a comfortable temperature. Fine fine fine! As for Budapest - We did the hitlist - Gelert baths for a massage and float around in the pool is a MUST. Food was universally excellent wherever we went. if going on a city break its easy to forget bathing suit so I'm reminding you right now!

Gelert is over one of the bridges and looks really very innocuous - you could miss it easily. Its on the other side of the river to the Main City Hall which is architecturally beautiful.

Some travellers may find the 'attitude' of the natives of Budapest a little, perhaps, brash? Maybe a little direct? To some people (English mainly) this may come across as rude. This is not the case. They are economic with words on the surface, but I found once I spent a few minutes at a bar asking about the city they revealed themselves to be a very proud and hard-working people, who are slowly adapting to their city being a potential travel destination. I would absolutely recommend going and unless your on some kind of romatic 'impress-me' weekend stay at Marco Polo.

Room Tip: Get drunk before you return to your room on some ting-tong plonk and you wont give a crap.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Slutbunwaller
Just: Thank You!!! :)))
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I picked Marco Polo due to its high recommendation in TripAdvisor. However I am dissappointed with overall experience in this hostel; with the exception of the room. The staff who greeted us was unfriendly and not that helpfull. The hostel did not have functional computers for cuatomer use and wifi is only available at reception area. It was very noisy at night since clubs are all around the area and our neighbours are very rude (they were drunk, shouting outside the door, kicking and smashing doors until it broken since they couldn't find their keys), smoking in the room which resulted in activating fire alarm, climb to the roof to smoke and caused nuisance for the whole night. Surprisingly, it seemed like nobody stopped them and no staff tried to warn them. I was too sleepy to went down because it was around 2-3 am and there was no phone in the room. The only thing that I am satisfied with the hostel; was the our room. The price is really low and the room is clean with indoor bathroom, plus a tv, cupboard and reading lamps. One thing for sure, I will never stay in this hostel again.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback! I am sorry that you had bad neighbours! We do have a security guard during the night who has to walk around (minimum every hour) to see that everything is in order. Since this happened we do even more attention that they control the quiet (and also the doors) during the night - most of the times it is in order - a few times we have more difficulties - but we do our best!