“Comfortable and affordable.”

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Great location
Very afforable
Nice staff
Great bar with nice decor and atmosphere, however not many people (probably low season)
The private bathroom was an advantage however the showerhead holder, the shower curtain and the towel rack were all broken as well as the tv in the room.
There also wasnt many people in the common bar area were the wifi was advertised but didnt work. The wifi only worked in the lobby.

Its good for price and location however the bathroom was atrocious

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
aydin
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed in this hotel two times and if I'll visit Budapest again that will be my address. I'm a teacher and I travel around Europe with a bus of students. So I nearly saw all types of rooms from single one to 12 bed .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tequilaa
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 30, 2012

It has convenient location, Near main Station and in close vicinity of Pubs.. a night even get's more pretty when you passby some girls whistling at you ;) you know what i mean't ...Over all relaxed cleaned rooms and fun Stay..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

If you are struggling to find a place last minute or just need a place pretty centrally located to both the train station (one metro stop away), easy walk to the opera house where cafes, restaurants and shops line the street...go for Marco polo.

There is nothing incredible about it. But laundry can even be done here if you bring your own soap. A large grocery store is also in the area.

Expect a hostel like quality with a touch of hotel atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank schmoy
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2012

When we arrived at our original hostel it was boarded up and terrifying looking! So we trailed to find another, and thankfully found this one! We were given a 4 bedded room with private bathroom. Room was clean, had a bunk bed and 2 single beds which was great. There was a washing machine and dryer along the hall which was fab! Great location, and great receptionists who helped us work the laundrette and booked us a day at the thermal baths! 100% recommend this place!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarah X
Korcula Island, Croatia
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed in this hostel with 3 girlfriends for 2 nights. We booked a 4-beded room with a private bathroom. Room was ok and the bathroom was very large which we didn't expect so it was a nice suprise.
Location is also very good, but breakfast was very poor. Anyway, one average hostel!

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I booked into the Marco Polo Hostel for five nights at the end of June/beginning July. I stayed for one night. It was awful.

I booked into a dorm, which I've generally had good experiences with. I travel mostly on my own and as a lone female I always try to book female only dorms, but a mixed dorm was the only option in this case. Fair do's.

Looking around the 12 bed en suite dorm, I was interested to find that the bathroom door didn't actually close, and couldn't be locked. There was nowhere private out of the showers to get changed, and since it was a mixed dorm, you're in a room with a bunch of strangers - it would be nice to be able to get changed in private wouldn't it?

Anyway, after having a very brief shower I went to my bunk. The bunks are in twos, with a curtain across the end - basically it's like a twin room with bunk beds. I had a nap and when I woke up there was a hairy guy in the bed above me - I'm sure he was lovely but it doesn't exactly make you feel safe. 'We're just going to put this strange guy in the bed above you and draw the curtain across like some sort of weird Blind Date'.

The wifi, which is massively important if you're travelling on your own - only works in the lobby. Fair enough I guess, at least it works. While I was using the wifi once a group of drunken Germans started shouting at me (I think because I'm female - maybe this is a novelty), no one did anything to stop them despite the staff being right there.

Through the night I had to endure said Germans shouting at me from their window, they were making so much noise that someone really should've said something to them. They were disturbing everyone. I was also kept awake by one of my dorm-mates incredibly loud flatulence - but that's another story for another time (and not the fault of the hostel of course!)

I think you could probably have a great time here if you like spending all of your time drunk out of your mind, with about 10 friends, at the age of 17. It was without doubt the worst hostel I've stayed in, and I've stayed in a few. Avoid!

Room Tip: Stay in a hotel!