“Excellent for groups, nice big rooms.”

Marco Polo Top Ho(s)tel
Ranked #34 of 669 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Marco Polo is a well organized, friendly hostel. The front desk staff were really nice to my student group (and they in turn were very well behaved!), and one of the ladies at the desk helped recommended a nearby restaurant for our group and helped me make a reservation. We ate the first night at the restaurant/night club/breakfast room next to the hotel, down the stairs (it's under street level). The hotel arranged that for us before arrival. That meal was OK, but I didn't want to eat there a second night, so they were very flexible and happy to make the alternate recommendation for us. The rooms in the hostel are quite large, as is the stairway going up (the one elevator isn't tiny, but not fast enough to efficiently accommodate our big group, so most of us just took the stairs - no problem). We enjoyed our stay here, and I would wholeheartedly recommend this place to anyone traveling with students.

Room Tip: Higher up - the first floor can be noisy because of the night club below.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Craig B

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Great place for a cheap and cheerful stop in Budapest. Don't expect a spa, fitness centre or pool. Room was clean and bed comfortable. We had a three bed room with private facilities. Bigger rooms for groups are available. Probably best to go for a room on a higher floor as there's a basement night club. We weren't disturbed at all but is that true every nigh? Reception staff were helpful with good English As it's a hostel, that's all the service there is but still worth four stars. Central location great and easy to find. Excellent restaurant/ pizzeria 50 metres away: main bus route, 150 meters; city tours, 10 minutes walk. Breakfast was very mediochre but, for the price, you can't argue and you could still bread, fruit and cereal to set you up for the day. (Always remember, when you're used to an Ulster fry, everything else is second rate)

Room Tip: Probably the higher up the better,
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank UlsterFryNo1
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I recently stayed at this hostel as part of an organized tour. A couple in our group were staying in a twin room, so only took one key with them. They went out for a few hours one night and came home to find that someone had gone in their room, through their stuff and stole their cameras and iPods. The thieves locked the door on the way out. Turns out there was a second key to the room at reception the entire time!!

The staff were less than helpful when the theft was reported and the police even less so.

Moral of the story - if you stay here make sure you ask for ALL keys to your room, DON'T leave your keys at reception when you go out (even though this is what they encourage you to do) and lock all of your belongings, even if sharing a room with your partner (just to be on the safe side!!!)

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Brissytraveller84
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Location is not far from the main station (Keleti pályaudvar‎), close to a metro stop (Blaha Lujza tér‎) and also a bus stop (Uránia‎). So well connected.

Lots of bars, restaurants, clubs nearby. The reception recommended a place nearby for dinner (Bajor Sarok, a couple of blocks away) and I really enjoyed the food there. And nice Czech Pilsner beer too! Great local food (the goulash soup is a spectacular meal in itself!), good value, nice atmosphere. Reminds me, I should write a review for them too :)

The hostel was basic as one would expect, the room was small but very pleasantly decorated and very clean. We had a room with private bathroom. You have to leave a deposit for towels (fair enough, no big hassle), and you could use a kitchen too if you asked at reception for the key. We didn't try breakfast.

Lots of people were using the free wifi in the reception area, quite a buzz going on there. Staff were informative, helpful, I would say more efficient than friendly (language limitations?).

Quite happy with the place. Would certainly recommend to young travelers, or indeed oldies like me who are like happy to be around youngsters who are backpacking and having fun. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again when I next visit Budapest.

Which might be quite soon, as cigarettes are soooooo much cheaper there :)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank An0nym0use
Reviewed July 17, 2011

One of the best hostels I stayed in on my recent trip around Europe. The largest dorm I stayed in, at 12 beds, but having it separated into 2 bed areas means it didn't feel that large, you got plenty of privacy but had plenty of people to meet and socialise with if you liked! Bathroom had two showers, toilets and 3 sinks so I never had to wait to use it which was great.
Downstairs terrace area was a nice place to hang out, but good that it shuts at 10pm because if you need an early night all the noise carries upwards into the bedrooms.
Great location not far from the main train station, in an area with lots of cool bars and not too far to the river where all the main sights lie either side of it.
Only negative I'd say would be the 'kitchen' - it is basically a cupboard. I just wanted to use the kettle so wasn't a huge deal for me but you require a key for it and so if more than one person wanted to actually cook at once it'd be a struggle, which I think should really be improved, especially for a hostel of this size.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2011

You can get ther walking from the train station; it's close to a metro station and you can walk from there to the river. That means its is really well located! The room was pretty good (we had a double ensuite) as we had 3 very good nights durong our stay. Cheap breakfast downstairs but don't expect too much -- you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mconstantino
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Stayed here and had a great time. So close to the metro system, nightclub underneath , breakfast, really allowed me to enjoy my stay in Budapest. No curfew, staff can be a little annoyed when you arrive back late but generally very friendly

• Stayed: May 2010