“Reliably Kempinski”

Ranked #26 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Vienna, Austria
“Reliably Kempinski”
Reviewed November 18, 2008

We considered staying at the Four Seasons or InterContinental, both of which offer better riverside locations. However, given their exorbitant prices (considering it's truly low season right now), we bypassed them for a reliable Kempinski hotel at a fraction of the price. We're glad we did.

The deluxe room was spacious - probably 40m2 - and had a nice, well-lit work area. The WiFi was free and fast. The bed was comfortable, albeit two twins pushed together to make a king. The bathroom was well fitted, though the glass wall around the WC was unnecessary and seemed to clutter the room a bit. There was a separate shower with good pressure, while the tub was a bit narrow but sufficient for the 7 year-old. The view from our 7th floor room was nothing spectacular, but we were nonetheless satisfied that we didn't pay nearly triple just to glimpse the river from the other hotels we considered.

The location is very close to a major square, a pedestrian shopping area, the Gerbaud coffee shop, quite a few decent restaurants, and the river. It is certainly well placed for getting around the city and only a few meters to the main Hop On/Hop Off bus-stop ... which I certainly would recommend as a great way to see this large and diverse city. Concierge recommendations regarding restaurants and sightseeing options were very good.

Breakfast was adequate but doesn't register as a memorable one. Freshly prepared egg dishes were very good, as was the selection of fresh fruit. Breads were a major disappointment with minimal variety of brown breads offered.

There's a beer garden/restaurant inside the hotel that offers draft Erdinger! The food was so-so there but the ambiance was cozy and the large-screen TV allowed me to catch up on the Saturday football happenings.

Overall, we were quite pleased with this hotel. It's nothing that will stick in your memory, mind you. However, it is solid, friendly, comfortable, and well situated ... all of which are hallmarks of Kempinski properties.

• Liked — Good Value for a Solid Property
  • Disliked — Bathroom felt cramped, pool was T-I-N-Y
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Burlington, ON
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Luxury but .......ridiculous

They take advantage of the naive western tourist that cannot read the bill, No coffeee maker in the room only in the lobby for a x3 price, charge you for phone calls that even did not get through, charge for watching TV or listen to radio in the room, not the payed movies, just simple TV, they call it telecomunication system charge, charge you for your water bottle they leave on your desc .....for a hotel of this standard these surcharges are ridiculous. when you pay a 5* rate one should not charge all thses as in a youth hostel,

shortly ridiculous luxury, and they can do it only because the tourist for the west allow them to do so, fortunately we are hungarian speackers and could read the bill which obviously is in hungarian.

• Liked — luxury
  • Disliked — extra charges
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank BrunoGingi
Cologne
Reviewed October 31, 2008

Kempinski Corvinus

Coming from a River Cruise on the Danube on the Premicon Queen (excellent ship) we were a little spoiled , but nevertheless found everything in the Hotel to our convenience.
We were welcomed by very friendly stuff and found our room spotless clean and comfortable.
The room was nicely decorated in bright, creamy colours which matched the honeycoloured wooden furniture very good.
Furniture, carpet and decoration were in mint condition. The working area was very convenient too, scissors and many other office items could be found in the drawer.
There is a plug for the computer in the desk. There are a lot of plugs in the room, so it is no problem to charge mobile phones, ipods and so on. Wlan is working good and it is free of charge.
Bathrobes and slippers and a lot of amenities are provided. Wellness area is highly recommended but was a little crowded.
The best thing is the ideal position of the Hotel between the main shopping street on one side and its position not to far from the opera on the other side, high level luxury shops and some very nice restaurants. Only 3 blocks from the Danube.
The front of the hotel is facing a park and the back is facing a pedestrian street with nice shops. Our room was on the back side and we could open the window, it was very quiet.
We stayed 3 nights starting on the national holiday.
Thanks to their very friendly and efficient concierge, we had excellent dinner in the “Nosztalgia” Restaurant on the second evening of our stay. This is an upscale restaurant in walking distance with a beautiful decor and authentic Gypsy music.
The “Nosztalgia” Restaurant serves what they call reformed Hungarian Cuisine. We had Porcini mushrooms and Foie gras, a good desert and some local Wine. Prices are quite high but worth the money.
The band was very decent and playing much better than we expected. We enjoyed it.
On the first day we had a different experience when in one of the famous tourist restaurants near the Elisabeth bridge, recommended by most guidebooks, the musicians entertained the guests at the tables during the (overcooked) meal until they got enough money before returning to the stage. The musician was holding his violin with an attached 20 Euro note directly above our plate to make shure we would understand how much he expected. Not very romantic.
Another very good restaurant in the hotel area, called “Tigris” serves similiar food like the “Nosztalgia” and offers a very good selection of hungarian wine. There you can try Attila Gere`s (one of the famous hungarian winemakers) wine by the glass. The service there is outstanding.The best we experienced in Budapest. We found that the prices were moderate.
During anytime of the day it is a good idea to make a stop at “Strudelhouse”, watching the baker preparing the fresh Strudel in the restaurant. As they have many different fillings there and it is only 1Euro (1,30 $) per piece we tried several. Delicious.
Budapest is absolutely beautiful and we plan to go there again. The Kempinski will be our first choice.

• Liked — Location, beautiful room, free wireless internet in room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colonia2007
Maine
Reviewed October 31, 2008

We enjoyed our stay at the Kempinski Hotel. Found the staff very helpful. We asked for a specific kind of restaurant, and they recommended one that was perfect. The breakfasts were terrific.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed October 24, 2008

This is one of those special places where you know you're paying top dollar, but the hotel services and staff make it seem worth it. I was here for 4 days attending a company meeting so everything was on the expense account. I found the entire staff, from the maid service, front desk, room service, meeting planners, everyone to be at their best at all times under all circumstances. They were all fresh, bright, attentive, polite, professional, and caring. What a pleasant experience.

The room was large but not out of this world. Clean, pleasant and comfortable. My only complaint was that the air conditioning was not very efficient; I don't know if they turned this off during the fall expecting it to be too cold outside but I found it warm and not as comfortable as I would have liked I called and they said they'd take care of it but it didn't seem to be completely resolved. But, everything else was outstanding. Food in the restaurants, room service, laundry service, you name it - it was superb.

I felt the room safe was small and not as large as I would have liked. Concierge was helpful and recommended a top notch restaurant when we wanted one and got us the right reservations at the right time. I'd love to come back here again (if it was on the expense account).

• Liked — great staff
  • Disliked — high prices
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
iceland
Reviewed October 23, 2008

For the first time I am really stuck about writing a reveiw. I will give it a go tho and hope it comes out fairly.

The pros are many. The location is very nice and comfortable, plenty to see and do right around the hotel, first is the hop on/off bus that leaves right next door, we really enjoyed that, good price with a coupon for a free boat ride on the river and discounts so definatly go for that if you have time. Also, right around the corner is the main shopping area with plenty of nice resturants as well. As others have said, a lot of other interesting places are right around the hotel so even if some people staying were dissapointed with having no view, you will only really get that with hotels around the river, I was very happy with the location.

But the best thing for me was the wonderful staff. Everyone was ready willing and able to help us out with anything at all and that for me was the biggest plus of all. And it really made all the difference.

The room for me, was the most dissapointing. I only had the standard room booked but I still expected more. It was pretty small for a 5 star with not much about it that was special and I really missed having a bathtub. It was facing a small street with a view into an office building. Also, I was not too pleased with the noise coming from the street but that is really not the hotels fault. The seletion of TV channels was poor, only news channels in english, but as I knew about that I had requested a DVD player put into our room. I had two children with me so I wanted to have that option. They asked for 50 euros a night for that so we passed as I do think that is totally out of line, I am sure I could have bought one for not much more. And most 5 star hotel have that as a standard in the rooms, I was even more put out with the price.

I only tried the lobby bar for food, it was very nice and tasty and if you have the cash, I totally recommend it. Even if it was the most expensive munchies I have had at least they were good and the service was wonderful.

I very rarely stay in other hotels then 5 star and would still say the prices for all extras were much more then I would expect and I would certainly expect a nicer room. But as the wonderful staff did make a huge difference, I would stay again.

• Liked — The staff, very helpful
  • Disliked — The small room and cost of extras
  • Stayed October 2008
Corpus Christi, TX
Reviewed October 23, 2008

This 5 star hotel meets and exceeds all expectations. It is conveniently located near restaurants and tourist areas. It is sleek and elegant and worth every penny.

• Liked — elegant
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends