“Location is everything here”

Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest
Ranked #24 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed December 10, 2013

First the good news--there is no better located hotel in the city. The Kempinski is next to the largest shopping area, tons of restaurants, and very close to the Metro, which can get you anywhere you need to go in the city.

The staff was also terrific, but there are things even they couldn't do.

My room was tiny with an interior "view" of other rooms in the hotel. There was no air, a window that barely opened, and it was hot and stifling the entire time I was there. The staff explained that they only had heat available, so there was nothing they could do. If you like your room around 80 degrees, then no problem for you.

The bed was so-so and the linens were something you'd get at a Courtyard Marriott. The pillows were small. The shower was fiberglass.

Satellite services were insanely expensive. A ride from the airport was $140.00 (a cab is around $30.00). Breakfast was about $40.00 and it was crowded, chaotic and not great.

But again, the location can't be beat. This was my third time to Budapest, one of the great cities of the world, and if I make it a fourth time, it won't be at the Kempinski.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,269)

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I was there for a two nights stay beginning of November 2013.
The room smelled of sewage for the entire time. Especially inside the shower, it was hard to breathe.
The spa area was quite nice, steam bath, sauna, small pool with counter-current etc. However, there was an apple core next to the Kneipp bath on Friday, and when I came back on Saturday, it was STILL there!
Breakfast buffet was very, very good, huge selection. Coffee and tea service however was very slow. I got my tea when I was done eating.
I have been to three and four stars hotels in Budapest, and they offered same level service, but much cheaper.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Kempinski is a good hotel but our four night stay was not without its disappointments and irritations. We were given a room on the eighth floor which was the smallest we had ever encountered in a five star hotel. So small, in fact, that when we found only one pair of slippers and one robe in the bathroom our first reaction was to assume that we had been assigned a single room. During our stay I twice had to report that the call button at the eighth floor was discharging static electricity on the last occasion with a clearly visible spark. Not a major problem but there were children staying in the hotel and the experience I had may have been quite upsetting for them.
One morning, at 04:20am, we received a wake-up call we had not requested.The hotel's response was an apology and then to forget all about it. The final and unavoidable irritation came in the public rooms on the ground floor where, to us incomprehensibly, dubious 1980s power ballads were continually played through the hotel's speaker systems. Whilst this ensured that we did not spend our evenings in the hotel, passers-by who were not spared this "treat" must have wondered if they were walking past a sophisticated hotel or an over 50s disco night.
On the plus side the hotel's spa was excellent, the breakfast was very good and the hotel's location in this fascinating city is convenient for many attractions. We certainly intend to return to Budapest but it is unlikely that we would choose to return to the Kempinski.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had during our 5 days stay in Budapest experienced the Best quality food and service at their ES Bizstro which just has been renovated for a new concept last April.
We went back for a second time because of the food quality as well service hospitality given.I had a Beef Tartar to start with followed by a flown in hay marinated ribe eye steak which was of superb presentation and quality.All of these went well with some recommended Hungarian White and red wine, and finished with a good Paulina schnapps.
Last but not least I have to mention, that the menu was not over priced and therefore a must try on your next Budapest visit.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was no for the second time at Kempinski. No need probably to stress that the first time I had a lovely time. Well, obivously in two years many things changed for the worse.
I made a last minute booking. By mistake I made two bookings. I wrote right away an email to the booking department about the mistake. Although I asked for the confirmation of receipt no one bothered to answer. When I arrived to the hotel 18 hours later both bookings were still active. The lady at the reception said they give a gurantee of reply inside of 24hours. Well, 24 hours are gone still no email at least with an apology.
I wrote also an email with a request for a proposal for in room private candle light dinner. No reply.
I understand that staff is overworked, but I was sales manager in hotel business myselft. I never left the office till my inbox was empty. I think that every intelligent person in the morning checks the mail and decides which are more urgent. Well, an email that gives you oppurtunity to earn something, from the client that comes in 12 hours should be an absolute priority in my opinion.
The only person who answered quicly was the lady from Spa. Although she was friendly her communication is not on requested level in my opinion - she adressed me with my first name. Without Mister, Sir or anything.
Check in was quite quick, generaly friendy but apology about the inconveniencis before arrival very ungenuione and with irritated voice. Also the big green ring on ladies finger I don't think should be allowed by dressing code in a luxury hotel.
I paid for an upgrade into a junior suite. This was a huge mistake from my part. I should have asked to see the room first. Two years ago I was in a lovely corner luxury room. Difference from junior suite is that junior suite is 86 € more expensive and has two realy small curtains so called optical separation. Actualy just a quite kitschy and unusefull decoration. Room for itself was quite cold. I was assured that central heating is set on 24 degrees, but I can't believe it cause I felt cold standing in room in a shirt with long sleeves. Mr. Laszlo, the portier was one of two friendly persons I met. He kindly offered to bring me a portable heater into the room. The second nice person was the night auditor with pleasent voice and one of rare smiling persons at the hotel.
There was no cork opener in mini bar.
Check out? Well, let's say like this. A prostitute in a low class brothel gives a more warm goodbye than I got at the check out. I had the bad luck to deal mit Mr. Tamas. He speaks no German what I find unacceptable in a central european 5* hotel. For room maid, portiers no problem, but receptionists??? His collegue spoke german fluenty as I could saw but didn't care to give any assistance or "take me over". As you can see I'm fluent in English as well. However I strongly believe that german language is the lingua franca of central europe, something what is part of our commune culture and people shoud know it. Further I think that at a 5 star hotel staff should adapt to client and not vice versa.
Anyway, after settling the bill nobody cared to asked how the stay was, nobody invited me to come again and nobody wished me a safe journey.
Also the portiers were quite grumpy.
Never say never again, but don't think I will soon be back to Budapest and also surely won't come back to Corvinus.
This stay was a total mistake and just ruined that few lovely memories I still had on Budapest.

Room Tip: Don't pay for Junior Suite. Take Luxury Room and ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cap_nemo_hr
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed at the Kempinski on November 28th and 29th. This was a business trip and a co-worker told me to stay at the Kempinski and I was not disappointed. I arrived by taxi and the door man quickly had the door open and my luggage out of the car. He gave me a receipt for the luggage and told me to give it to the front desk staff. Check in was very smooth. Staff was friendly and professional. I went up to my room. The bathroom was lovely. When I looked out the windows I was absolutely blown away by my view. My room was on the fifth floor and overlooked the walking street below and the view of another lit up building was breathtaking. Then I heard someone at the door and my luggage had arrived. The staff member who brought up the luggage was very friendly and asked if I had any questions. I wanted to know how to get out on the street below so he told me how. I felt quite welcomed at the Kempinski. The bed was super comfy. The breakfast buffet was out of this world. The first morning at breakfast a young man asked me if I would like a pastry. They were warm from the oven and fluffy. They were like nothing I had ever tasted before. Saturday morning the breakfast was quite busy. The assortment of food is really incredible. I couldn't help but think of my husband who has a lot of food restrictions and was thinking there was lots there for him too. I will have to return to Budapest on pleasure some day and take him. Also this hotel is in a perfect location for sight seeing. Even though this was really a business trip I spent the evenings wandering around. I felt safe even though I was on my own. Also Friday morning my work had arranged for a taxi to pick me up when I came down at 7:30 the doorman approached me and said my name and said their is a taxi here to pick you up. I like that their was no doubt that I was getting into the wrong cab. I felt like they were looking out for me. Awesome stay in an awesome city. Definitely one of my all time favourite cities and hotels.

Room Tip: My room was 562 and had a great view although it was about as far from the elevator as you can be wh...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed 26th to 29th November it was first visit to Budapest & also first time had stayed in 5 star luxury. Although only rated hotel 4 out of 5 this was down to room on 8th floor that had view of derelict building in need of major refurbishment work. Had seen previous comments before going on about views from some rooms, so did email hotel asking if room could be provided with nice views. Unfortunately email was ether missed or rooms were not available with better views but never received any info back. Hotel has fabulous location with fashion shops & Christmas market right outside & has fabulous staff giving service had not received before . Would love to return next year with other family members to show the lovely sites of Budapest & this hotel. Many thanks to all hotel staff & a very merry Christmas & happy new year to you all Mr & Mrs T Neason

Room Tip: Stayed in 846 room had poor view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple