“A nice and cozy hotel.”
Review of Hotel Papillon

Hotel Papillon
Ranked #127 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Staffs: were extremely nice. Location: not that central, and a little bit hidden on a side street, but the tram stop is not so far away. And within the proximity, supermarket and restaurant as well as snack boots are available around the main road. Room: the bed room was quite small, but with the shower room of almost the same size, very strange. All in all, nothing was perfect but everything was ok, this might be the charm of that kind of a small family run hotel. So, the hotel met my expectation corresponding to the price of the room, so 4 points.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GiovanniBKK
There are newer reviews for Hotel Papillon

Reviewed December 28, 2010

The hotel location is nice (close to Mamute mall, Buda castle, bridge, churches), but you need to trudge a "hill" and some stairs in puzzled corridors to step to your room. Besides that the staff and services (nice dinner, standard breakfast) compensates the hurdle if you don't care for amenities and pride more your money than confort. The rooms were clean, but the toilet paper was of very low quality, calefation was good, room size adequate and bathroom small.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ABispo
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We paid the extra for a superior room and initially we were bowled over. Top of the house with huge terrace giving superb views over the Pest side of town. It was really a small suite but sadly no lock on bathroom door, no other mirror apart from the small one in the bathroom and the drains still smell slightly. I think the place has had a refurb as the piano bar refered to in earlier reviews did not appear to exist any longer so all was peaceful. Our curtians did not fit which meant that at 4:30am on a sunny morning it was heads under the duvet. After a thunderstorm the rain came in under the huge patio windows which looked new.Everything was very clean however .
Breakfast was Ok but not as good as a usual Austrian or German buffet. The poor kitchen staff seemed overwhelmed and the buffet wasn't actually ready at 7am for our early departure. However they were very quick and willing to sort it. Can't say I would eat in again----tried one evening meal but there are so many better places in the area.
The garden is tiny and despite the hot weather there was no water in the pool-----paddling pool size. The roof terrace seemed just to be a flat roof with clother lines
I would use it again, however, as it was good value. recommend you take an eye mask, decent mirror and book a superior room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This was my second stay at the Papillon Hotel and feel it merits a review - and an extremely POSITIVE one at that!
Whilst rooms are quite basic, they are also very clean - which is important! The staff are all incredibly friendly, speak great English, and couldn't be more helpful! Enjoyed a good breakfast, and also an evening meal which was SUPERB value! Am already looking forward to my 3rd visit end-September!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank AJFT
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I was already in Budapest when I booked to stay at the Papillon. In an internet cafe, I did a search and it came up with an extraordinarily cheap price. After the obligatory check on Tripadvisor I decided to give the hotel a go.

I arrived, and was surprised by the person at the counter greeting me and introducing themselves. I can't recall any hotel anywhere in the world where that has happened before, and it made me feel very welcomed. I was very early but they were able to get me into my room anyway, which was nice.

My room was, to put it tactfully, bijoux. Less tactfully, very very small. But as I was all alone, I didn't need much space and could plonk my suitcase on the second of the twin beds. There was a cupboard, a desk (which had a hairdryer tucked into the drawer) with a tv (CNN and bits of MTV being the only English speaking channels) and a small fridge. I was surprised to find a mini bar within, and when I looked at the price list for it, I thought it very reasonable. I was also impressed to see among the items in the mini-bar, full litres of orange and apple juice.

There were two pillows on each of the beds, with little welcoming sweeties too.

The bathroom was small but functional and clean.

Breakfast was included in the price of the room, and consisted of sliced meat and cheeses, bread rolls, bread for toasting, cereal (2 sorts), yoghurts, tea/coffee, boiled eggs. As soon as the trays got low they were refilled so there was certainly plenty to eat.

The hotel has its own little restaurant which offers each night a cheap meal for 9 euros of entree (usually soup) main course and dessert, however I didn't try it so I can't tell you how good it was - there are too many other places to eat in Budapest to eat at the hotel!

There is an internet computer in the entry which you can use: the connection was fast and the cache cleared whenever you closed the browser (a piece of security I appreciate).

The only minuses are that there a) is a bit of a steep walk to get to the hotel and b) the curtains are not heavy enough to block out light really well.

The tram line is close by and you are close enough to walk to Buda Castle so the general location is great. I was really happy with my stay in this hotel (especially at the amazing price I paid) and would recommend it to anyone - it may not be an amazing honeymoon hotel, but it is really very decent.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Kiriel
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Family from Dublin. Grandmother, Brother and Sister-in-law
My son and I.

We found the place very friendly and clean. the dark haired receptionist was lovely and efficient. The lady in the restaurant was extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome, any time of the day. Karoly the barman was the best I have come across on my many travels. he would look after us day and night. Our overall experience at this hotel was very posiitive and made our holiday complete.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mary060
Reviewed February 14, 2008

We stayed at the Papillon in mid-December 2007 for 3 nights.

We’re 2 adults and a 15-year-old boy so we opted for a superior triple room. We were very impressed by the size of the room and it had a fantastic balcony looking over the rooftops down to the Danube. Some aspects of the room were not quite right such as the cracked washbasin and the ill-fitting curtains but overall it was excellent value.

If you are looking for a huge fry up for breakfast you will be disappointed but to us it was pretty standard for a European budget hotel – ham, salami, cheese, eggs, cereal, yoghurt, toast, etc. We didn’t try the restaurant but the menu looked alright. The bar was a little awkward and it felt like you were sitting in a corridor. We didn’t venture into the garden because it was mid-December but it looked like it could be a quiet little retreat.

The hotel is in a very quiet area with little traffic noise but is a fair way from the centre if you are going to walk all the way. There are tram stops within 5 or 10 minutes but you will have a bit of a walk at the other end because they skirt round the town rather than go into it. The metro is 20-25 minutes walk and was what we used most of the time. We’d strongly recommend you use both tram and metro at least once. They are great fun and cheap.

Eating out wasn’t as inexpensive as we have found in other places such as Prague but food was generally very good. Coffee and cakes at the Gerbeaud was a highlight. We were there when the Christmas market was on and tried the rolled barbecued pastries. Very good and very filling but don’t know whether you can get them all year. Don’t go specifically for the Christmas market though. It’s very small.

We had pre-booked a walking tour through Viator before we arrived and we were the only ones on it so we got a personal guide. If you’re up to a few hours walking you get to see just about everything and we’d recommend it.

All in all it was a good long weekend but we won’t be rushing back. There are so many other places to see.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family