“Four comfortable Days”
Review of Hotel Papillon

Hotel Papillon
Ranked #127 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Since I stayed here last the hotel has been renovated and modernised. My room was a good size as was the bathroom. Everything very clean and the room was quiet, as I had requested. Breakfasts were substantial including cereals, yoghourt, rolls etc plus scrambled egg every day. The breakfast room waitress/cook was extremely pleasant and the same applies to the reception staff. One problem; as its name suggests, it is on a hill,(and quite a steep one) so approaching it on foot from Margit Krt is hard going if carrying luggage. Apart from that this is a good, clean, comfortable 3 star hotel in a pleasant part of Budapest. I shall probably use it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Rozsahegy u if you want a quiet room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank JamesBrian037
There are newer reviews for Hotel Papillon

Reviewed March 4, 2012

I agree with melodia 1705. I have stayed here as a non driving solo traveller 5 times since September 2009 which I suppose is all you need to know. I chose it initially (and subsequently) for its cost and close location to my dental clinic. Rooms are basic ie clean and comfortable and you will be guartanteed a good night's sleep. Breakfast is basic (adequate) and you can pre order a similar evening meal also. Reception staff are fluent in 4 languages I recognised but more importantly their attitude is good and will offer help with directions etc if you ask. Just don't expect anything fancy for the price you're paying.
The hotel is located in Buda which is 20/25 minutes walk from the Castle District which is one of the main tourist spots in the city and is also < 10 walk to public transport into the city centre by tram or you can take the at Metro Moskva Ter (square) which takes about 15 minutes.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PhillipeGlasgow
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Papillon a few nights last June. Based on reviews we thought it would be better than average - it was ok. Not great, not terrible. Our beds were fine, our bathroom was a little basic (our towels were tiny, and the front desk person was annoyed when we asked for normal sized ones...which they ended not having anyway). Breakfast was average. All in all it was fine, and probably a definite step up from a youth hostel. I wish I knew more about other BnBs and hotels in Budapest to know whether this was actually a good deal or not. Bottom line: It was fine, but I don't think I would choose to stay there again if I return to Budapest.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melodia1705
Reviewed January 17, 2012

No problems with bedroom, Internet connection apart that sometimes went broken or very low.
It is also very close to both British Council Istitutions in case you need to improve your English, the metro and Mamuth shopping Center as well.
I would express all my gratitude to all staff.
Anonimous - Italy

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank pap_132011
Reviewed December 6, 2011

My daughter and I shared a room here in September. We found it to be extremely clean, maybe a little small. We ate in the restaurant onsite for our dinners and breakfasts. Good food but no fruit at breakfast. It is conveniently located but an uphill 10 minute walk from the tram, not a problem. It is about a 20 minute walk to the Castle area but we saw there is a bus if you don't want to walk it. We always walked it because it's an incredibly interesting place to explore. The people who staff the Papillon were all very friendly, helping us with directions and giving us good advice, and arranging a ride to the airport. We felt it was a good value for the money. It was very quiet and we'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Pamela B
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Hotel Papillon seems to be popular with groups of noisy tourists traveling to Budapest on the cheap who show no consideration for the presence of other guests. The bad news is there are plenty of them.

At first sight, you might consider yourself lucky to have gotten a room on the garden side with a panoramic view over the city, but wait until you find out about your next-door neighbors... If by chance you happen to sleep through this noise, you still will find yourself struggling with sheets that cover only half your bed. Not to mention waking up to a shower in a dirty bathroom with those 20-some year old towels... And last but not least: care for breakfast? Let's hope you like hot water and travel with your own tea. Luckily for others there is a restaurant close by which offers very decent coffee (at a charge)!

I had to spend four nights in this hotel, which had been booked by a third party. Next time I visit Budapest, I will be sure to find a suitable alternative. Pretty much anything will be better.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Marc977
Reviewed September 18, 2011

After having stayed two nights in a 3* hotel in Belgrade we expected the same standard as this hotel is classified as a 3* place. However, there were a few things were slightly disappointed with -

1. The room we stayed in was facing a hotel garden which we thought was great until we discovered that the curtains were too short and we couldn't pull the curtains properly. That was very disturbing as the hotel guests were sat in the garden in the late evening and we couldn't have the lights on in the room, so no privacy.
2. Also, our room was located right next to the restaurant and it was very noisy until early morning hours so couldn't get proper sleep. My advice would be that if you decide to stay at this hotel, don't go for the room that's located on the ground floor next to the restaurant as it's very noisy.

The staff seemed friendly though and were welcoming but in terms of the facilities of the hotel and the price, it was disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple