WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hilton Budapest

Hilton Budapest
Ranked #18 of 339 Hotels in Budapest
Berkshire
“Beautiful and romantic setting with incredible staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2010

This hotel has to rate way up there as one of the best hotels that we've stayed in to date. The setting is superb. In the castle district overlooking Budapest, it is the most beautiful and romantic place imaginable. The sun shone for the whole of the three days that we spent in this city hugely enhancing the experience. In the evening when the visitors to the area have departed the only people in the surrounding streets tend to be people staying in the hotel or patrons of the few nearby restaurants. Vehicle access to the castle district is limited to guests staying at the castle and very few others. This means that if your preference is for a peaceful, serene location the Hilton certainly offers you that option.
The staff are wonderful; trained to a high standard of efficiency, friendly, helpful and all fluent English speakers.
Out thanks particularly to Akos, on the concierge desk. He arranged for us to be picked up at the airport as well as securing us a lovely table at the famous Gundels Restaurant. It's that type of service that can make all the difference to someone's holiday. It started well and it continued in that vein for the whole of our stay.
Our bedroom - room 201 - was on the second floor. As large as you could wish, how big do some people need? Interesting layout. Lots of toiletries in the bathroom, room serviced totally each day and very, very quiet at night. The huge bed was soooooo comfortable.
The hotel has a restaurant with a fabulous view. The only thing that we would suggest to the management is to dim the lights at night. The bright lights inside the restaurant drown out the beautiful view of the city of Budpest spread out at the foot of the hill. Dimming the lights would also add romantic appeal and the addition of a few pretty candles would make all the difference to the ambience.
A little tip to anyone visiting the Castle Hilton: don't leave without visiting the Faust Wine Cellar under the hotel.
Managed by a lovely young couple it has to be one of the most atmospheric places in which to taste the fantastic wines produced by the Hungarian vineyards. Informed and passionate about their wines, we enjoyed our visit to the cellar so much that my partner visited each night of our visit and changed his hand luggage status on the flight back to checked baggage just so that he could bring back a quantity of the fabulous wines for sale in the Faust Wine Cellar.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Saratoga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

The hotel itself is a lttle old, but it is very clean. The best thing about this hotel is its location in the catle district. The staffs were very nice as well. You can walk to the most famouse sightseeing areas on foot. the cable car to the city center is 5 min walk away. In anycase,this hotel is very nicely located.

Executive lounge was one of the best ones I ever been to. Worth paying extra to get a room in the executive floors.

Great hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for posting your review and and sharing your precious notes with other Tripadvisor users. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and our services. I am especially glad to learn that the standard of service at our Executive Club Lounge just like the attitude of our team exceeded your expectations.
I trust we may have the pleasure once again to welcome you back to the Hilton Budapest.
Best regards, Zoltán Árvai GM
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

What a beautiful hotel - built on the ruins of the castle. Rooms were large and comfortable. The executive lounge was the best I ever been to with lots of food, drinks, etc.

Amazing attention to detail.

I will say the bed was firmer than I am used to - my colleague from Europe informed me this is common in Europe. I still slept well.

The fitness room has both weight machines and cardio machine all in very good condition.

Make sure you visit the Faust Wine Cellar in the basement of the hotel - it is a must do.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

I stayed in Budapest Hilton for 2 nights and it was memorable! the hotel has a backdrop of a castle/fortress and we enjoyed taking so much pictures from there. The view is breathtaking looking over the other side of the city.
The rooms are huge and bathrooms very brightly lighted. Children can stay in the room with parents without feeling cramped.
We asked the staff/concierge to assist us for our 4 huge boxes to be picked up by DHL for transport to Germany. They were most efficient and took extra effort to call the courier to ensure the pick up. They even emailed me to report on the status of the delivery - such excellent service!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHILTONBP, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, November 26, 2010
Dear Guest,
I am very grateful for sharing your comments with us and other Tripadvisor readers. I am so delighted to read you had a pleasant and memorable stay at the Hilton Budapest.
This is so good to know you were satisfied with our services, especially with the professional attitude of our front desk team. It would be a great honour to be your host again, should your future travel plans bring you back to Budapest in the future. Best regards, Z. Árvai GM
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

As a frequent business traveler, this Hotel surprised me. I had never witnessed a Hitlon Executive floor like this one, the food, the view, the location were all excellent. The breakfast is all that you could need with both American and European choices. The afternoon tea was delicious and the evening snacks are far more than just snacks and the choice of refreshment was . You have to experience it for yourself, if you are not a Hitlon Honors member, pay the extra and get access to this floor. Ask for Tibor, he is the quintessential Executive Steward and his new trainee Reka is a great addition and she speaks english fluently and is on her way to becoming a Concierge, par excellent and hopefully at that location.
The hotel is in a former monastery and up to date, however, though it is still a business Hilton and the beds are typically business-like, if they would get a thick feather tick it would be much better, bed's aren't much better in traditional US Hilton's. At night the hotel is in a location on Castle Hill that is peaceful, perfect if you want quiet after a busy day in the city, not if you want to go out, nearby, but there are cabs.. Directly behind the hotel is one of the best views of a major European city, that I have ever witnessed, stay here for the great food a relaxing neighborhood, surrounded by good restaurants and a 5-Star view.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, November 26, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your precious time spent on sharing your experience of your stay with us at the Hilton Budapest. It is my pleasure to see that most of our services exceeded your expectations, especially the Executive Club Lounge. I am also very glad that our Club Attendants made their utomost to make your stay so relaxed and memorable.
I appreciate your valuable feedback about the selection of food and beverage, the location of the hotel and the fascinating view as well.
We look forward to the pleasure to welcoming you back any time.

Best regards,

Zoltan Arvai
GM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

I recently stayed at the Hilton Budapest Castle District for a work conference. I am a Hilton Honors member - used to be Diamond status - so perhaps I have been spoiled. I have stayed at many Hiltons in Europe and this was far and away at the bottom of the list. Upon checkin, I asked if I could have a room with a nice view - as I would be staying for four nights. I was told that this would be $30 Euro more per night - even though the Conference I was staying at the Hotel for had reserved about 150 rooms. Obviously I declined. We were put in a fourth floor room looking at a roof - with no view. The room was small and old. Also, whenever you walked into our wing of the hotel, all you could smell was something on par with a sewer. Fortunately our room did not smell, but - YUCK! The room was clean but really needs a makeover. The king size bed had two twin comforters on it - which I know is standard in Europe - but really - this is a Hilton - lets update the bedding!

Another downside was that the hotel allows smoking in the lounge. So - whenever you get on or off the elevators - you have to walk through a cloud of smoke.

The location of the hotel is on the hill - which is nice - but expensive. Also, it's a somewhat long walk down the hill to the metro stop/town.

But, if you don't mind spending the money, the hotel is safe and clean.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank JenniferPhoenix
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback concerning your stay at the Hilton Budapest and taking the time to post your review.
I was happy to read you enjoyed the Castle Hill location and the cleanliness of the entire hotel. On the other hand I was concerned to read about the problems you experienced.
Regarding the benefits for Hilton HHonors Diamond card members, Hilton Brand Standard guarantees Executive Floor rooms as a free upgrade. River view rooms – in our case - are available against EUR 30 supplement. I kindly inform you that according to the loyalty program policy Danube river view rooms are allowed to sold upon availability and against supplement.

I am really sorry that the size of room (33 square meters) did not make your expectations. This is our standard room size, however, you may also take a suite sizing up to 68 or even to 148 square meters. Concerning the bedding standard, I am glad to inform you about introducing the Serenity Bed program of Hilton Worldwide in 2011, which is a great success all around the globe.

In regards to the unpleasant smell on 4th floor corridor, thank you very much for this comment as it was extremely useful for our Engineering and Maintenance Department to look into and fix the matter without delay.

Finally, I still trust to be able to welcome you at your next visit to Budapest and show you we really care.

Yours sincerely,
Zoltán Árvai
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

Our experience here was truly exceptional -- the staff went out of its way to make us feel at home, and the food in the executive lounge was plentiful. Tibor in particular was amazing. And the location is wonderful for exploring Budapest.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple