“Budapest Hilton”

Ranked #18 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Jackson, New Hampshire
“Budapest Hilton”
Reviewed December 9, 2009

The most amazing view of the city and and excellent service

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Booked two nights at the Hilton Castle District but stayed for just an hour before being sent to the Hilton Westend when our booking was not honoured.

Upon afternoon arrival the lobby was a madhouse. There must have been 200 people crammed in the lobby and more coming in every minute from tour buses outside. We weren't sure whether to get in line to the front desk or not as the line was haphazardly going off every which way. I asked one of the very helpful doormen if we should get in the queue or not and he said that almost everyone was part of a large tour and he would get someone to meet with us in a moment.

A few minutes later we were sent upstairs to the executive lounge where we were told someone could check us in. There was some confusion over our reservation as a single traveler with the same last name had also made a reservation. When we were told a manager was on our way to discuss our booking we really began to worry if they even had our booking on file - we had prepaid for a non-refundable room.

It turned out that the Hilton did have record of our booking, but an "important delegation" had decided to extend their stay and my wife and I, as well as others who had booked but not yet checked in, were being sent to the Hilton Westend as our rooms were still occupied. I was not happy. We had booked this hotel as part of a birthday trip for my wife specifically because the sights we wanted to see were in the Castle District and we were only in town for less than 48 hours.

The manager was polite, but I didn't feel that much was offered in terms of an apology for not honouring our reservation. In addition to the inconvenience of changing hotels and wasting valuable time on a beautiful autumn day that we wanted to be spent exploring Buda, it didn't make us feel like very wanted customers to be told that someone else who decided to extend would get the room that we had booked *and* paid for some time in advance. (We'd opted for the lowest priced room so the "delegation" couldn't have been -that- important.)

We were offered a free cab ride to the Hilton Westend and a bottle of wine, as well as a room upgrade next time we visited. I tried to explain that being from Canada we don't find ourselves in Budapest that often and wouldn't book again at a hotel that couldn't be bothered to keep our prepaid reservation the first time we tried them. After expressing my displeasure with how this was being handled we were promised a room upgrade and the manager offered to look into a tour for us, but we had a night tour pre-booked and paid and already had a full itinerary for our two days so couldn't accept. I managed to get the hotel to promise to pay for cab fare back to the Castle District the next day, but even then, it seemed like we had to really argue for any sort of gesture for being inconvenienced.

In fairness to the hotel manager, she did agree to pay for our breakfasts at the Hilton Westend when I asked the Westend to phone her, and she followed up to ensure our cab fare was paid so we could get back to Buda. I really appreciated that she did follow up and try to rectify the situation, but I was grumpy that I had to argue for these things in the first place. Had we not been firm in expressing our displeasure with the situation I'm sure all we would have got for our troubles would have been the cab ride across town and maybe the bottle of wine.

It is hard to rate the hotel having not actually stayed there, but the lobby and executive lounge were both clean and nice in appearance. The location is great - there are wonderful views of Pest on the other side of the Danube and many attractions within walking distance. Still, I can't give this hotel a positive review when they can't honour our reservation.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mcnamn
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, November 23, 2009
Dear Guest, thank you for selecting the Hilton Budapest, while I honestly appreciate your negative comments regarding your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies once again about the unexpected situation causing that we could not accommodate you at our property the first time. Would hope that you give us the opportunity to serve your future travel needs on your next visit to Budapest. Sincerely, Zoltán Árvai, GM
Paris, France
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We spent two nights last weekend at the Hilton in Budapest and I thought it was a very nice hotel. First of all, let me say this. We live in France and travel frequently and have stayed in many hotels in Europe and this hotel compares really favorably. The room was enormous by European standards. We had a fantastic view over the Fisherman's Bastion (which was under construction) and the river. We were staying there using Hilton Points, so it was free and so we upgraded to the executive level. The lounge was very nice...facing the ruins of a 12th century church. There were snacks of varying sorts all day long and free internet access (which was a bit slow...our only complaint). We were able to check out in the lounge, which is very nice and they also booked us a cab to the airport from there. So, we were pleased with the service. The castle location is a bit removed from most of the sites in Pest, but if you can plan your day accordingly, you don't have to keep going back and forth across the river and up the hill. We had a great stay and I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive review of the Hilton Budapest. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your time at our hotel. I am glad that you felt welcomed and we succeeded in giving you memorable moments during your stay. I am also glad that you were pleased with the panoramic view over the city. I hope to welcome you back soon.
Yours sincerely,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I stayed at Hilton for nearly a month on business. I was upgraded to the Exec floor on arrival as I'm a diamond Hhonors member. reasonably nice room with a view of Danube. The Bed a little hard than I've experienced in Other Hiltons, but not a problem for me.

Good Bathroom with a separate shower area. The checkin was smooth at th lounge and nice people. The full day service at the executive lounge is amazing.. I forget his name, but there was one man, whob was outstanding. He knew I ws a vegetarian and he ensured theat there was always vegetarian snacks available.. HE WAS OUTSTANDING IN SERVICE, Better than ANY ONE IN THAT HOTEL.. Hope the management rewards him well.

There are many restaurants in the castle area and many of them are good incl the Appetito opposite the hotel..

Getting to PEST side was easier for me as I love walking. yes coming back is a steep climb, but its a good workout too.

Laundry prices are exorbitant, not dure if thats standard in Budapest 5 stars.

God turndown service, no dialy fruits in the room though- -a surprise..

Overall I liked the stay. people were as helpful as they can, but obviouslay the service can go to the next level.

The fitness center was small but nice with towels etc..Interiors and carpets look a bit old, but that may be because its a castle.

MY only BIGGEST complaint is that nearly after 12 days after checking out, my HHNORS points have not been credited to my acount yet.. very strange.. I've spoken to customer care and waiting still. Hope some one works on this soon.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor website. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and you liked the historic atmosphere of our hotel and its unique environment. It was also nice to hear that the service of our Executive Club Lounge exceeded your expectations. I looked into your complaint as for crediting your HH points&miles and would like to assure you that it has already been made as per our standard. I hope we may welcome you back soon.
Yours sincerely,
Munich, Germany
Reviewed November 8, 2009

The hotel is dated (sort of a time capsule) needs a renovation but nice view of the city. Complimentary breakfast and evening snacks that was tasty.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your note on Tripadvisor website. I am glad that you liked the historic atmoshpere of our hotel and you were pleased with the services of our Executive Club Lounge. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed November 4, 2009

I am consistently disappointed with Hilton hotels. The stay is always comfortable, but not worth the amount of money that is charged. Also, USD 7.00 per hour to use the internet is ridiculous. The castle district is nice, but inconvenient to get to the rest of the city.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I am grateful for sharing your notes with us on Tripadvisor website. However, I am very sad to learn that we did not succeed in meeting your expectations. It seems to me that you have not received the satisfying Hilton experience and moments lately, the teams of Hilton hotels are very eager to guarantee. I am truly sorry for that and if you wish to let me know your comments in more details, please send your e-mail to zoltan.arvai@hilton.com.
Zoltan Arvai
Discovery Bay, California
Reviewed November 3, 2009

All the guidebooks say to go to Fisherman's Bastion for great views of Budapest...well, our room on the 6th floor of the Castle Hilton overlooked the Bastion! Not much charm, but clean, modern, great breakfast and great location. Several good restaurants within a short walk. Waking up to sunrise over Budapest created a lifetime memory.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing the Hilton Budapest hotel. I was delighted to read that you had a memorable stay. I was happy to learn that you were impressed by the view from your 6th floor room, especially by your Budapest sunrise experience. I sincerely hope we may welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.