“Definitely the Place to Stay while in Budapest”
Review of Hilton Budapest

Hilton Budapest
Ranked #19 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Orlando
“Definitely the Place to Stay while in Budapest”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was here with a colleague on business for three weeks. The whole stay can only be described by superlatives. Of course, the location is in a "magical"setting in the castle district, surrounded by beautiful architecture and a rich history that spans at keast a thousand years, but it is the exceptioanally courteous and attentive staff that made the trip memorable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tatjana P
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest!

Thank you very much for staying at Hilton Budapest and sharing your praising with other valued Readers of Tripadvisor Community. Please be assured I will share your inspiring comments with the whole team, which will strengthen our spirit to make our guests feel valued, respected and cared for.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future

With kind regards,

General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Port Ewen, New York
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We were booked into the Hilton Budapest (on Buda side) after our river cruise with Viking River Cruise line. I will say right up front, we are not "upscale people", much preferring Best Western over places like Hilton, Westin, etc. This gave us a forced opportunity to try out how others live a little higher on the hog, and after 2 days, I have to say nothing really impressed us, and we'll stay with Best Western. As for the Hilton....

While the room was clean, even though it was about 35-40F outside, we had trouble cooling off the room. Called the front desk and was told just turn the dial. I don't think it's connected since it did nothing all night. Asked about opening a window and they said "sure". Turns out the window only opens about 1-2 inches. We sweated for the first night.

There were mismatching end tables on either side of the king bed. Didn't really matter to us, but for a more upscale place, why don't they match?

As others have mentioned, Internet was about $36US per 24 hours and in our room, 624, you could hardly connect to try to pay for this premium service, much less use it. We found we could walk 2 blocks away to the visitor information and get high speed internet for free, even when they were closed. A 0.75L water bottle was about $9US. Didn't even look in the fridge which was so jam packed full of overpriced beer, wine and snacks, we had no place to put leftovers from dinner we wanted to keep cold. Oh well, guess the refrigerator is there for them to sell things rather than guests to use it.

You can't even go get ice, it must be brought to your room, so of course you need to tip someone. While it got there promptly, why can't I just go get it myself?

On the positive side, the king bed was comfortable and they had built in plugs for 220V and 110V, which was nice. No adapter was needed unless you needed a UK type plug. Since breakfast was included from Viking, we went the first day. Very nice choice, although the eggs were typical buffet, good luck keeping them warm. All else tasted good. Not knowing what the pricing is, can't comment if it would have been worth it, but judging from Internet and water prices, I'd say it was over $25US pp, which seems high.

The second day, we had to be out before the buffet opened, so they made us bag lunches. While nicely presented, the 3 sandwiches consisted of a buttered roll with 1 slice of "something" on each one. Basically in place of the nice, tasty buffet, we ended up with rolls with butter and mystery meat, plus water, OJ and some danish. Glad our stay was over.

If you like Hilton in general, understand the more upscale experience, and willing to pay an arm and a leg for everything, then this is a very nice place to stay. For those who don't need the pampering or can't afford simple things that cost a small fortune, go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank donutking1
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you were not completely happy with your experience with us. We strive to provide a really high level of service, nevertheless we pride ourselves on providing fair prices all the time.

I know you feel let down by our current internet service but I would really like to take the opportunity to tell you that as of 2013 (Q1) wireless high speed internet access will be provided free of charge in all public areas of our hotel.

I certainly would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Budapest. Please contact me and I will personally make sure that you are looked after.

California
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Several years ago, we liked staying in Pest at the InterContinental, right on the riverfront, but the Hilton on Castle Hill was even better. Everything you want to see in Buda is in walking distance. The immaculate room was large and comfortable with a view of the Parliament across the Danube and the Fisherman's Bastion right outside the door. The wine cellar in the basement was part of a monestary which makes this hotel a UNESCO site.
Breakfast was great with many choices. We stayed here 3 nights and recommend it highly. Check out the advance purchase prices online. The hotel offered airport pickup service, but it was very expensive. Don't try public transportation to this location, but pick the prepaid shuttle service online. It was $12 Euros for both of us. Hungarian Forinths are helpful, but US Dollars and Euros worked everywhere we went.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carolyn19
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us and other respected Readers of Trip Advisor. On behalf of my team, we are very grateful for your superb comments regarding our
location, the beautiful views, unique Faust Wine Celler and the comfort of your room.
You are right, the private airort shuttle service costs somewhat more, than the airport pickup service, but the standard of service provided is also different: properly maintained, air conditioned, E class Mercedes cabs, English speaking drivers, cars do not stop at different addresses, only at the airport or at Hilton Budapest. For any further queries in this regard, our Concierge is glad to stay at your assistance.

Again, I am very grateful for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dennis Port, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

The Budapest Hilton Castle Hill was located in what is probably the most spectacular part of the hilly Buda side of the city - overlooking the Danube and the plains of the Pest side. The rooms were roomy and comfortable and the buffett brekfast was good. The service was very helpful, but a tad hard to understand directions to local retaurants; and we had to ask a few times for directions to an ATM and store for a converter. Turns out, we could have borrowed one from the business center. Location, location, location is great! We were able to explore a lot of the Castle District on our own, and truly enjoyed it!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your positive comments with Trip Advisor Community and letting other valued readers know of your great experience.
We are happy to read that you had such a pleasant stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon to Hilton Budapest.

General Manger
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The Hilton Budapest is in the castle district. If you're not sure what that is, do some research and you will find that it's in the middle of the Buda side on the top of the hill overlooking the Danube. It's a spectacular sight. The hotel itself, like you will read, is a bit on the old side. However, I do not view this as a negative, instead, to me it is what gives this hotel its charm.

What I like:
Location. It's a great base for exploring Budapest. You have many sights and attractions within walking distance. The streets are not crowded with cars and there are many food options.
Cleanliness. This is a nice, clean, well run hotel, what you would expect from the Hilton.
Internet. There was no wireless in my room (507), but the wire had a speed of about 15-20 megabits - good for hotel standards.
Food. The breakfast is standard Hilton fare. The executive lounge is clean and offers free wifi.
Gym. It's good. If you like to work out, you'll have an easy time here. Plenty of machines and free weights, which I love.

What I didn't like.
I don't really have anything in this category. I suppose if I wanted to nitpick, I didn't like the halogen floor lamps in my room and the pillows were a bit overstuffed - but like I said - not a big deal.

In summary, it's a nice hotel. I think you will be satisfied. It's close to everything on both sides of the Danube and within walking distance.

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a view of the Danube. It's well worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank AgileDude
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you personally for your recent stay at Hilton Budapest.
On behalf of my team, I am very happy to find out from your detailed review, for which we are extremely grateful, that you had a very pleasant vacation and in general you were pleased with our services.

Regarding you valuable remarks concerning the in room lighting and the pillow, I will look into this matter myself and inform the relavant department heads to take further actions so that we can further improve our service.

I hope we may welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights, 4 days. Great service in the hotel. Breakfast was nice, good selections and you can ask them to make soemthing that isnt avaiable there.
The area is lovely, great views, especially at night. However to beware that at night it is like a ghost town! However is a nice location, plenty of restuarants around. Also easy access into Pest. Just cross the road to the bus stop, and get bus 16 and get off at the last stop in Pest (opposite the Le Merriden Hotel).
Reception staff very helpful on places to go and how to get there.
(no free wifi though :-( )

Lovely place to visit!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jellybean2426
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your review to Trip Advisor. We are pleased to read that you
liked our services and the surroundings of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. The rooms are large and comfortable, the staff is friendly and efficient, and the view from the hotel is the most beautiful I have ever seen, overlooking beautiful turrets and walls and the entire city's beautiful skyline to the Danube. The cost is most reasonable, especially for the excellent facilities and incomparable view. I will urge all of my friends to experience Budapest from this beautiful and convenient location, and definitely will make it my home away from home on any trip to Budapest.

Room Tip: I didn't use either the pool or any kids' activities, so can't rate those, but everythin...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am grateful for your valuable comments and your time taken to submit your review to Trip Advisor.
I cannot tell you how happy my team members are when we receieve constructive feedback from our respected guests. It helps us to monitor if we manage to meet or exceed our guests' expectations, which is the most important for us.
We cannot wait welcoming you back to Hilton Budapest, should your future travel plans bring you back to our city.