“Internet Rip Off”
Review of Hilton Budapest

Hilton Budapest
Ranked #14 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed October 3, 2012

If you don't like being ripped off and the Internet is an important part of your life, then DONT stay at this hotel. Other reviews have listed the rip off prices charged for Internet access so I won't repeat them, but what I will say is this - the policy of over-charging, or indeed charging at all, for Internet access is a VERY BAD business decision in my opinion. Firstly it loses you customers. I am sure I am not alone in saying that I will NEVER stay at another Hillton Hotel again until Internet access is free - at least in public places. Secondly, in addition to losing future income, it loses you money whenever a guest decides, like I did, that they're NOT going to drink in your bar and NOT going to eat in your restaurant - there are plenty of places in Budapest with free WIFI where we can have all our devices switched on and keep in touch with the outside world for free. And before you assume that I'm some teenager with an Internet addiction, I should tell you that I'm in my mid-fifties and well-off - just the sort of demographic which hotel chains like the Hilton should not be discouraging from staying in their hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ped777
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post review on this website.

We were sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the hotel and would apologize for the fact that you have not received a response to this issue you raised on
departure.

We and all Hilton Hotels Worldwide always endeavour to offer the highest level of service. I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectaions. I regret that we cannot offer a remedy at this point, however, I am pleased to advise you that as of 2013 wi-fi will be provided complimentary in all public areas of the hotel meeting the latest Hilton Brand Standard.

We do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opoprtunity of welcoming you back to Hilton hotels at some point in the future. Should you wish to discuss the matter with me in person, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

General Manger

Write a ReviewReviews (4,382)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Lovely hotel in the heart of the castle district in Buda. At first we were disappointed that our hotel wasn't in Pest, as it seemed we were touring in Pest. Figured out that we could walk down steps, about a 10 minute walk to get down to the river. We had a lovely dinner at Angelika on the river. The rooms and bathrooms are large and well-arranged and have adequate lighting, always a bonus. The only drawback was no free WIFI. I contacted the hotel and learned that they will have free WIFI starting in 2013. Hurray! It was quite warm when we visited, and we would have slept much better if we had a top sheet instead of just a duvet, which seems to be standard in this area. Breakfast was lovely and the hotel and room were very attractive. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for submitting your valuable comments on Tripadvisor and sharing your positive experience with the Community.
I am very glad to hear you had such a lovely stay with us. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back real soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

When I opened the door to my room for the first time I was taken aback by the view in front of me. One of the towers of the Fisherman's Bastion was directly in front and I could see the Chain Bridge to my right and the Danube sweeping from left to right. At night the scene was amazing with the bastion and other areas lit up. The location is the best thing about this hotel; next door to Matthais Church and a short walk to the Castle and Chain Bridge.
The room was large and well appointed. I ate in the bar once where the food and drink prices were reasonable but would recommend going out to visit one of many nearby restaurants. The only niggle was that there was no free wifi. Other hotels do it so why not Hilton?

Room Tip: It has got to be on the Fisherman's Bastion side
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your valuable comments on Tripadvisor and letting sharing the Community know of your positive experience.
I am glad to hear that in general you were pleased with our services, and I appreciate your time taken to tell others about your impression of our unique location.
As far as wi-fi, please be advised that as of 2013 wi-fi will be provided complimentary in all public areas of the hotel meeting the latest Hilton Brand Standard. Until then, we appreciate your patience and hope we may have the pleasure again to welcomeyou back real soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Arriving here at 7pm was simply wonderful. Most of the day visitors had gone and the fishermans bastion adjacent to the hilton was like having an historical film set to oneself. The hotel was not flashy but we were surprised at the cleanliness and and size of the room and bathroom. As has been stated before, Danube view room is a must. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Great breakfast. Marvellous walks from
Buda into pest. Lovely city with many interesting sights. We took the hop on hop off bus, but Iwould say that it was oversubscribed most of the time and the seats not comfortable. The hilton Buda is truly great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am very glad to hear you had such a lovely stay with us. I appreciate your time taken to tell others about your impression of our unique location. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back real soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel was overall one of the best we have stayed in for a city break. A great location for visiting the castle district of Buda and within walking distance of the Chain Bridge over the Danube to Pest. Excellent transport links nearby - public buses, funicular, bus tours and boats. The staff at the Hilton were all very anxious to pleae and obvoiusly took pride in their work - indeed everyone we encountered in Hungary - taxi drivers, waiters, shop assistants, staff in ticket offices - were all charming and happy to help and all spoke excellent English!
Our room was very clean and a good size, high floor, non smoking as we had requested. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade to a river view room for an extra 30 euros a night but declined. The room we had gave a superb view of the beautiful St Matthias church and a side view of the Danube (at no extra expense!) Breakfast was excellent with so much choice and they knew how to make a good pot of tea!!
The only disapointment was the cost of Wi fi - in the end we paid 20 euros for 110 minutes, this being the best package. Unfortunately the conncection was not good and we had to go to the hotel business centre to log on. However, they assure us that from next week Wi fi will be free in public areas. These public spaces are very comfortable, provide excellent services - concierge, reasonably priced bar snacks etc.
Overall it was a great experience staying at the Hilton.

Room Tip: The fifth floor is all non smoking. Our room there, facing the church was quiet and away from the l...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor and sharing your positive experience with the Community.

I appreciate your time taken to tell others about your impression of our unique location and the good transportation links connecting Buda with Pest really flexibly. We are pleased to read you were satisfied with the comfort of your room and felt well taken care of during your stay.

Thank you for your constructive observation regarding our wi-fi service. Please let me adise you and other valued Guests that free wi-fi service will be available in all public areas as of 2013 according to the requirements of the Brand Standard.

Again, I am grateful for your opinion and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Zoltan Árvai

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel has cornered the market on location! It is in the heart of the castle district and surrounded by shops, wonderful restaurants and great sites. I would never stay anywhere else if I was in Budapest. Now, there are a couple of drawbacks, there is no free WIFI and it is $36 a day if you want it and I had reserved a non-smoking room and got a smoking room because the hotel was fully booked! As soon as I stepped from the elevator on my floor, I could smell the smoke! The breakfast was excellent and the bar a great place for a snack and a drink. So, you have to weigh a gorgeous view and location with a crazy WIFI price and a smelly room (they spray the room daily with the sickingly sweet stuff they use at American car washes!)! Now, the view from my window was incredible, it was the entire expanse of the Danube stretched from wall to wall and at night, I couldn't close the drapes because I didn't want the view to end. I loved all of the little shops, the carriage rides right outside the door and classy little restaurants within one block. But the real WOW, was a small grocery on the corner with excellent wine and beer choices. They also have a little deli with excellent food to go. One afternoon I sat on a bench and just watched the world go by. I would stay here again but I might insist on a non-smoking room!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a non-smoking room facing the Danube.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Please, let me thank you personally for your precious time taken to share your valuable feedback with us and Tripadvisor Community.
I am very glad that in general you had a memorable stay with us, which we highly appreciate.
Concerning your experience with wifi, I would like to inform you that as of 2013 complimentary wi-fi will be provided in all public areas of the hotel in accordance with the Hilton Brand Standard.
We were sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the condition of the air in your room and it would appear that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations. We take your comments seriously and do apologize for the fact that we were unable to solve the situation on spot because of our total occupancy.
We do hope that in spite of the above, we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I loved this place...so rich in history...really old history...a strong people making a come back after years of being ruled by communist during and after the war. The view during the day is spectacular from up on the hill (Buda)...the view from our hotel room was breath taking...I want to go back and cruise the Danube by boat...At night, the entire city is lit up...it is not to be missed. It's easy to walk around this city...the food is great...the people are very nice...you have to be careful with taking cabs on the street...always ask someone to call a cab for you are you might get "taken" to the cleaner/overcharged. I loved this city...and Sept was a beautiful month to travel there...the temperature was perfect...the weather perfect. Make sure to visit the spa/thermal baths. The hotel was very accomodating...good food...and great view from the room...also, lots to do around the hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the Danube...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sandra M
GMHILTONBP, General Manager at Hilton Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for submitting your valable comments on this site.
We are proud to hear you had such a memorable vacation at our hotel and grateful for your precious time taken to share your positive experience with other Travellers worldwide.

We look forward to welcoming you back, should your travel plans bring you back to our city.