“Do Not Stay Here!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
ireland
“Do Not Stay Here!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2008

I stayed here with my husband last week and I have to say i was very very disappointed. It is very old fashioned in its decor throughout. We ate in the Restaurant on the first night. We were soo disappointed. There was only us and a table with a group of 10 people! I found the waiters very pushy! I didnt order starter as i wanted to leave room for dessert but yet they asked me twice did i not want to even have some soup! Also, my husband ordered a stew which again the waiter suggested a salad with it! Not knowing how pricy the side salad was, my husband agreed to have it. (which he didnt eat as personally i dont think stew and salad does not go!) Even with our drinks he was pushy, my husband ordered water with his wine but as i was drinking coke i didnt . But the waiter opened a bottle water and put in front of me which again was a waste of my money because i did not drink it!! The dinner was not nice and it cost over 100euro! Much dearer than even the up class restaurants in Budapest. I would not have minded if it was nice. Also, the location is not good as you have to walk down a big hill to get to the other bars. We ate in the Soiftel Hotel for the rest of the trip and it was an amazing hotel. Location is perfect. Food , drinks + service was superb and yet although it was a 5 star too it was not as expensive as the Hilton. I have stayed in many Hilton Hotels and this is the only one that does not meet the 5 star standard at all! I hope this helps anyone considering staying here.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

I stayed here for one night on a business trip.

Check in was very efficient, door man took my bag from my taxi and directed me to reception. Upon recieving my key a hostess walked me to the lift pointing out the restaurants on the way. Bag arrived very promptly after reaching my room.

Room was fine, typically Hilton,king bed, large desk and armchair with foot rest. Bathroom clean. Decor was slightly dated and could do with refreshing.

Had dinner in a la carte restaurant. Service was exceptional and food was delicious.

I had to check out at 5am to catch a flight and the hotel were able to arrange a taxi for me which was there on time and charged to my room.

Would definatley stay here again upon return to Budapest. Unfortunately I was here very briefly on business so did not get to experience as much of the city as I would have liked.

Stayed January 2008
DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Budapest from June until August 2007 for business. It was a nice hotel with incredible views, the views are why you stay here. The hotel is a bit dated and need some updates, but overall it is a very nice hotel. The restaurant is extremely expensive and a burger from room service is going to cost your about US$30. The best part of the hotel is the executive lounge with its great views and the staff, especially Tibor, who made our stay so memorable. If you are coming here for a few days, its a good hotel. The rooms are very comfortable, the location is OK, to get anywhere you have to cab/bus or walk up and down the hills.

• Liked — Tibor, a member of the staff
  • Disliked — There is no gym, or i should say a no gym with decent equipment, it's a joke.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Stockport, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2008

We have just returned from a 3-nights stay at the Hilton. We agree with all the good things said about this hotel by previous reporters - an excellent location, good-sized rooms and excellent staff. The breakfast buffet was the best I have seen outside the US.
We dined at 3 different outside restaurants (all close to the hotel) and others may find it useful to learn of our opinions of those establishments. Apitito, directly across from the Hilton’s front door, was relaxed and efficient with a good standard of food. Wines were all from Hungary (a feature of all 3 restaurants) and a reasonable choice was available. We enjoyed our experience here.
Alabardos is to found on the next street over. It is just on the corner of the square where St Mathias church is to found. This was a formal experience in formal surroundings, which included an accomplished classical guitarist playing “easy listening” music. The food was fussy and the staff were a little too attentive. We struggled to find a wine that stayed within our usual budget. Overall the prices being charged were fairly high and we didn’t enjoy the experience very much.
Our “best” experience was at Pierrots. This can be found about 300m down the same street that Apititos sits on and on the same side of the street. We liked it because, for us, everything seemed to work so well. There was an interesting menu, delicious food, friendly and helpful staff, calm atmosphere with soft piano music and a reasonable price when the bill came.
As one would expect, English was widely spoken and credit cards universally accepted.
Our less formal eating and drinking in the environs of the Hotel were at Russwarm coffee & cake shop and Café Miro, just a little further along from the coffee shop. Both are definitely worth a visit. There seemed to be a lack of simple bars for beer or wine drinking and Café Miro fulfilled that requirement for us. They serve draught Hungarian beer and a small selection of Hungarian wines at reasonable prices. The goulash soup was excellent, as we found one cold January afternoon.
I can confirm the benefits mentioned by others regarding the use of City Taxis. We used them on both the airport trips and they are efficient and offer a fixed price – the same each way. You can get their phone number from the Tourist Information desk at the airport baggage hall.
One final word of warning regarding Budapest public transport: if you elect to use tickets that need to be punched (“validated”) at the start of your journey then make sure you use a fresh ticket for each leg of your journey. A single ticket is insufficient for a journey using more than one vehicle and this even applies to a change of Metro line. There is no zoning as you may expect from other city’s Metro systems.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — TV remote didn't work - trivial
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tripper31
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2008

Stayed 3 nights in an Executive room with spectacular Danube view.All staff were courteous and efficient.Although I had free use of Executive lounge for breakfast I preferred the Corvina buffet which had a greater selection and I was not charged
extra.Dined out at the Pierrot Cafe and restaurant and the Rivalda
-preferred the latter for ambience,service and food.

A note of warning if you use the Metro.After you purchase a ticket you then need to get it validated in a separate orange machine.
If you do not do this and they have inspectors at your exiting
end you will be fined-my 186HUF journey turned into a 6000
HUF fine.They will make no exception for tourists-in fact they
seem to take great pleasure in tripping you up.My inspectors
did start by saying that it would be 5000HUF without a receipt!
(I have their numbers if by chance anybody in authority is
interested!).Although I had no problem with taxi drivers I
understand they will rip tourists off given the chance.The taxis that stand outside the hotel can be trusted as they
seem to have an arrangement with the Hilton.

• Stayed January 2008
1 Thank MICKMAT22
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

The staff seemed to think they were more special than us lowly guests as they workat the hilton - i think apart from being next door to the st mattias church and having a view over the river to parliament (at extra cost) that this hotel didnt have much going for it - they were inflexible and uninterested in helping us with breakfast as we had an early departure and they didnt care at all about getting us something for our journey -note to staff- neither you or your hotel are that great so get over yourselves. do yourselves a favour and stay on the pest side - we wish we had got in at the corinthia grand.

• Liked — The view over the river
  • Disliked — The inflexible superior beings on reception
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank airylegend
Tirana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2007

I stayed from Friday until Sunday in the Hilton Hotel in Budapest, booked online with a travel agent for a rather reaonable price.

Staff/Reception
All reception staff were friendly and helpfull. All of them spoke either English and/or German (and Hungarian, of course). The reception was 24 hrs occupied, so coming home at night was no problem.

Location/Shopping
The hotel is next to the Budapest castle, on a hill, overlooking the city. Easy access to the hotel by public transportation during the day time. There is a bus which takes you within a couple of minutes from Moskva ter to the hotel. At night, however, there is no public transportation which makes it somewhat inconvinient for people who want to go to the city. On the other hand, one can have a walk in the castle district which is extremely romantic at night. Convinient and safe area. No shopping around, though. Restaurants and pubs within walking distance.

Rooms
I was in a suite with a sleeping room, a living room and a second separate area and a working desk. Complimentary bottle of watter given. Perfect view from my room over the city, the river, the parliament and the castle (below my room window).

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends