“Great location with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Budapest

Hilton Budapest
Ranked #19 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Tybee Island, Georgia
“Great location with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights prior to our river cruise. It is located on the Buda side of the city in the historic palace district. Many local restaurants within walking distance of hotel. We stayed on the executive floor with a spectacular view of the Danube river and the Pest side of the river including the spectacular parliament building and the chain bridge. Advantages for booking an executive room includes the executive lounge where you get free breakfast, lunch and dinner(some hot hors dourves, sandwiches and drinks). Hotel is walking distance to the palace and its spectacular grounds. Back of the hotel is the historic Fishermen's Bastien. Our room was large sized and comfortable for the two of us.

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jerry O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2007

This was my second stay at the Budapest Hilton, and like the first time around I was a happy guest. Hiltons do vary from one another, but this is one of their best hotels in many ways. The rooms are large, comfortable and well appointed - ours had a superb panoramic view of the Danube and Pest; I think I spent more time gazing out of the window than exploring the city! Budapest is one of the world's most beautiful cities, and I would rate it a top 10 city break.

Also, prices have still not crept up to western European levels, so it represents relatively good value for money. In addition, service is excellent - polite and attentive but not over-the-top. The breakfast is OK, and room service meals are good.

My final comments are about location. The Castle District is beautiful, romantic and very quiet, but also high up and remote from the rest of Budapest - a bit like a Hungarian acropolis. This means it is not in a "happening" area, especially at night. However, it is not a million miles away from all the other wonderful things to see and do in Budapest, and with either the funicular or the bus to Moszkva Ter station (or even lots of walking up and down the hill!) it is possible to get away without a taxi.

On balance, provided you can cope with not being on the Pest side of town, this is a very nice hotel and one that I would gladly stay in again.

• Liked — Very comfortable hotel
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Cypsi
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2007

This is a great hotel. The service is amazing and the view is stunning. I am a diamond Hilton honors member and found this hotel to be a top notch Hilton. The area around the hotel is beautiful. I would return to this hotel anytime I am in Budapest.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank nychellzkitchen
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

This Hilton is dated but the service and the room was good. The room I had on the Executive Floor was spacious and comfortable, with a nice large bath that included both a shower and a tub. The bed was my only complaint, as it was hard as a board which I suppose is better than soft and worn. I did not have a view, but a spectacular view is only a moments walk to the rear of the hotel. I also walked around the Castle district which includes some great buildings. I agree with other reviews that the nightlife is limited, and although there are lots of restaurants within walking distance most of them are higher-end and not much in the way of casual dining. After having visited other parts of the city, I think I would have rather stayed on the Pest side since there appears to be much more entertainment and dining options; the Castle district gets rather dead at night (although I felt quite safe walking the streets at any time of the day and evening). The staff at the Executive Floor lounge was fantastic; very attentive and friendly. My primary complaint about the hotel overall is the lack of dining options. You can get a few items at the bar, and some snacks at the Executive Lounge, but the only restaurant for dinner was the Dominican Restaurant which again seemed more upscale and not what I was looking for after a long day or work.

• Stayed November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HenryDallas
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2007

This Hilton has an amazing location and amazing views of the Danube River and the Pest side of Budapest, especially the Parliament buildings. But the hotel itself leaves a bit to be desired. It is very
outdated in terms of decor---stuck in the 1970's and 1980's, and the music played throughout the hotel in the public areas, lounges, elevators, etc is all 1970's. Desk staff was friendly but hotel manager wasn't helpful at all when we complained that we had been ripped off by one of the hotel's taxis (taxi scams are a major issue in Budapest). Executive lounge staff was extremely helpful and friendly, but the food wasn't very good there. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best, I'd give this a 5. Probably wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Coppersink
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

The Hilton commands a good location on the castle district which is great for sightseeing by day, but is otherwise a very quiet area at night particularly outside of the tourist season.

Our initial experience with the hotel was a little disappointing - despite booking and receiving confirmation for a non-smoking King room, we were only provided with a twin room or a smoking King room.
The hotel really didn't seem that busy so I was very surprised they were not able to find the requested room.

The twin room itself was large, although somewhat bland or as one may say, functional. The bed was far too soft for our liking, as were
the pillows. The bathroom appears clean and was again functional.

Overall, the hotel feels very dated and was lacking in spirit or character. Perhaps the only highlight was price, which was very competitive. However, in hindsight I would be more than happy to pay another €50 a night for a better hotel.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Location, quality of room, service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simao
Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2007

I really liked the Hilton as a hotel in terms of its nicely appointed public areas and rooms, it's service, and the spectacular setting. The hotel provides a sense of style, tastefully being built among ruins. And I doubt any hotel in Budapest can offer the wonderful views that the Hilton does, as long as you get a Pest-view room. Spectacular! This alone puts the Hilton above the rest, making it definitely worthwhile to stay at least once (or even one night). Our room had all the standard ammenities and furnishings you would expect in a luxury hotel. It was very spacious too, offering a nice level of comfort.

Some reviewers have made negative comments about the breakfast, which was included in our room rate but expensive if purchased separately. I found it to offer a lot of choices, both hot and cold, to please almost every taste. Unless you are particularly fussy, you most likely will find enough to eat, although I think the quality/taste of some hot items should be improved for the price.

All the staff I dealt with at the Hilton were very friendly and courteous, accommodating our requests. This just added to our overall pleasant stay. And, another plus was finding a bank ATM right in the hotel shop area.

The only critical comment I can make is not a reflection of the hotel itself but its location. It's on the Buda side in the castle area. The topic of which side (Pest or Buda) to stay on is often debated here on the Tripadvisor Budapest Forum. While the castle area is a "must visit" to anyone coming to Budapest, I felt it was somewhat inconvenient as base for touring other sights and doing shopping, especially if you plan to (like to) do a lot of walking to get from one place to the next. However, I quickly realized after I arrived that Budapest is large and spread out, so regardless of where you stay, you will probably need to use some form of transportation at one time or another. In this regards, the public buses (16 and 10) connecting the Hilton to major transport hubs is excellent, so we actually managed better than I had thought.

If budget is not and issue and you are looking for a very wonderful hotel in the deluxe category with a beautiful setting and spectacular views, then you will not be dissapointed with the Hilton. In fact, I recommend you splurging at least once to experience Budapest from the Hilton.

In the end, while I may sound contradictory, if I were to visit Budapest again, I would like to try more budget accommodations offering better value, on the Pest side of the river, just to compare. I gave a rating of 4 simply because I felt the rates, services, and food in my opinion were not good value, in spite of the spectacular setting and views.

• Liked — View, service and room
  • Disliked — Costs for room, food/drinks, services were relatively high
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple