“Well placed hotel, especially if you are joining a Cruise”

Carlton Hotel Budapest
Ranked #79 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Well located with the Chain Bridge no more than 5 minutes walk way as was the funicular up to the Old Buda area. The Carlton is functional. The bedroom was comfortable but very ordinary; breakfast adequate. My stay included Saturday when it was very busy. The staff were very helpful especially the Concierge. I can recommend the hotel because of the location and price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank SeniorWorldTraveller
There are newer reviews for Carlton Hotel Budapest

Reviewed March 27, 2013

When our taxi driver dropped us off at our hotel, it had obviously snowed the day before and there was snow and ice on the cobblestone street (more like an alley) that takes you to the entrance. I was surprised that there was very little clean up. Upon arrival, our concierge was nice enough and checked us in right away. Our hotel room was clean but really old with a fairly new headboard. It was a small dingy room that looked kinda like a basement bedroom. The carpet was extremely old and discolored. Because of the looks of the room, when we first got there I conducted a bedbug test before we even sat on the bed. (Blowing a blowdryer on the bed will often reveal bedbugs because they are attracted to the heat, this was a trick given to me who works at a hotel). Luckily there were no bed bugs. The hotel is locate on the Buda side of the bridge and is one short block away from the scenic river. So at night, you're only a block away from a really beautiful view and its only 3 short blocks away from the chain bridge. It is also very close to the Tram that goes up the mountain that takes you up to castle hill and fisherman's bastion area. So location wise, there are some pluses to this hotel. Breakfast was decent. There was enough of a variety for you to have fill up for the morning. However, we kept going over to the Pest side of the bridge because that area seemed more livelier and there were more eclectic restaurants, lounges etc. in the Jewish District which were on the Pest side.
Traveler's Tip: There is a Currency Change place around the corner and about a block away from the hotel. If you have money already do not change any additional money they charged a fee and the woman behind the counter was horrible to us. I have never been treated so mean for no reason in my life. When we complained at our hotel about the lady at the currency place, the gentleman described the lady and said he's gotten many complaints about her from guests. Additionally on the pest side, particularly on Vaci street, the rates were much better and there were places that charged no commission. So avoid the experience and get more money on the other side of the bridge.
Traveler's tip: Right down the stairs from the Carlton is a hotel that you have to walk down the stairs to get into (forgot the name). The food was fresh and good (we ate there two nights), prices were pretty decent and if you don't want to walk to far (temperatures were below zero one night, its a good close place to eat). PS: They have good Wii Fii here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank lbloveslife
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Hotel location ,top marks, a skip and jump away from chain bridge. Room very dated, bedding could have been better but bed very big and comfy , pillows terrible. The dining room is lovely , but when busy , staff didn't fill the crockery up. The toilets in the hotel area were unclean. Apart from that a good value for money stay , will visit again just for the location and the lovely bar round the corner called the lanchid

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank susanpannett
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We arrived late afternoon by taxi which dropped us off in the street a very short few yards but steep walk down cobbles. I would hate to have to do it if it was very wet or icy. The entrance is wide and light, we were met with a friendly smile and were told our request for adjoining rooms could be accommodated, which was very nice and the first time in travelling with friends we have managed it. Our rooms were on the second floor, facing a court yard. I have to agree with previous comments; the air conditioning is non existent, luckily though the windows opened, and even though it was very cold outside the room got very hot very quickly so we needed to have the window open. As I mentioned it opened onto a court yard and there was virtually no noise at all. Bathroom was small but had everything you needed, the towels had seen better days but were clean, and changed on request. The beds, although it was set up as a double was in fact 2 singles together with single duvets, which is wonderful if your partner is a duvet hugger, as you had your own. Plenty of hangars for your clothes in the wardrobe, extra pillows. I would have liked a set of drawers either under the desk/dressing table or within the wardrobe; stacking everything on the two high up wardrobe shelves is not ideal. A flat screen TV was on a unit that housed the fridge, safe and coffee/tea maker. Again I can confirm previous reports that the cups are ridiculous, small plastic picnic cups, or in some cases, cardboard take away cups. I found by having a tea in the bar downstairs and bringing the cup to the room was much better, the hotel would save money by providing proper mugs in the room as they clearly have a dishwasher as the breakfast crockery was always very clean and turned around quite quickly whilst we were in having breakfast.

Breakfast was self service with a choice of hot and cold beverages, eggs, sausages, the usual cold meats, cheese and fruit. The fruit juice had no flavour at all, plenty of choice of teas to choose from and plenty of hot water and milk etc. I preferred the machine coffee as I could water it down with hot water, the coffee in the urn was too strong for me, but most people seemed to prefer it. There were a few large groups when we stayed, however, we never found we couldn’t sit together as a group of four, on one day they opened up a side room that housed extra tables and chairs. The bread and other breakfast items were quickly replenished; the service for breakfast was quite long, from 7am until 10am. Outside of these times, the bar area was open, and also in the foyer next to the lifts was a hot/cold water dispenser.

Free WIFI was available in all the bedrooms, but also in the foyer there were three PC’s, with two of them attached to printers. We made use of these for checking in for our flights home and printing off our boarding cards.

Over from the hotel entrance was a small café, he was only open during the day from what we could see, as most nights he was closed when we stepped out on our way to dinner. We did pop in for a drink on returning from a trip one day and his drinks prices were comparable to other bars, his food menu choices were limited though so only really for a snack rather than dinner.

Turning left out of the hotel and at the bottom of some steps was a wonderful restaurant; we ate there on our first night and on our last. A very good menu and lovely staff, our last night was a Saturday and they managed to fit in four people on spec, the restaurant was well used by local people and that is always a good sign. There is a good choice of bars and restaurants within a short walk from the hotel, and also small supermarkets, offering bottled water at cheap prices.

The hop on hop off bus tours are a short stroll form the hotel, and run past the top street on their way to the castle. Our advice is give the funicular a miss, it would have been £12 for four of us, but as long as you don’t mind walking there was a gradual path that took you straight up behind the hotel to the castle district and the wonderful views from there across to Pest.

All in all a lovely hotel and in a quiet area and close to everything that Budapest has to offer. Definitely a hotel we would go back to.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms at the courtyard side, 211 and 212 can be recommended.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank love_2_travel666
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Really nice hotel Rooms clean and comfortable . The night porter was on when we arrived late in the evening and he was most helpful. You are metres away from the famous Chain Bridge and the funicular and its a pleasant walk to the Pest side of the Danube

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I'm dropping them to 4 stars for the customer service we got on the last day, for what was otherwise a 5-star visit. to be fair I'd like to drop them to 3, and I explain this below.

The Good: The rooms are clean and of standard (small) European size. An AMAZING location in Buda which we loved. A great breakfast selection (avoid those little dodgy tins of pate - BARF!). A very reasonable price.

The staff was also generally helpful on checkin and with a few questions during our stay.

The Bad: This changed though on our last night. I had several questions about leaving and the concierge was just not as helpful as one would expect. I politely asked if he could make change so that I could sort out what I needed for the taxi in the morning and also to be able to tip the breakfast servers and maid but was refused in impolite fashion. I also asked for assistance in ordering the return taxi to the airport and was snubbed on that request as well. The icing on the gravy though was when I called down to the desk minutes later after arranging the taxi myself to ask if they knew if the taxi company with the contract for the airport (Fo taxi) accepted credit cards after we couldn't find that information online and hit a language barrier with the person at their dispatch (if you're curious, they do but you will need to tip cash), and the concierge snapped at me "We don't do everything, sir." The whole incident did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, and to feel like since we were on our way out and had already spent our money they were done with us.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maladrin
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Perfect place to exlore the city. Right next to the Szechenyi bridge, funiculair, Parliament - right in the centre. We've stayed in TRPL room - it was pretty big, had a huge window which also was a door to the small backyard.
Great breakfast, friendly stuff. Awsome night Budapest)))

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends