“American hotel”

Ranked #31 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Clarkston, MI
“American hotel”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was our last stop of a central Europe vacation. I was hesitant to book an American business hotel because we were looking for charm and adventure. Since our young adult daughter was meeting us and staying with us for a few nights we decided to go ahead and book at Marriott so we could be certain to get a room with at least 2 beds. The location was great, central to the things we wanted to do and see. The hotel has a modern feel and look unlike the buildings surrounding it (Personally I am not sure this is a good thing.) Upon check in the lobby was pretty packed with tourists checking in and out. After a short wait we got our room - which although it was what we asked for - was quite disappointing. It had 2 double beds and a rollaway. It had a view of the river but not of the castle. There was absolutely no room to move. We went to inquire about getting a room with a queen/king and a roll away thinking there might be more room. For an additional charge we were offered a suite with executive privileges which we grabbed. The suite was spacious but weird. It had a king size bed and they brought a roll away. It had a dining table with 6 cushioned arm chairs. It had a desk and another easy chair - but no real sitting area. No sofa. Not sure what one would ever do with a dining table for 6. There was a counter with a coffee maker and a mini bar. The bathroom was totally unremarkable. The view was of the river but again not of the castle . Executive privileges were well worth the price. Breakfast, snacks, hot appetizers, beer, wine, spirits, and a beautiful outdoor patio on the 10th floor overlooking the river. Service in the lounge was impeccable. There was also a computer and free wifi. it was a nice stay - but nothing about the hotel screams Budapest.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank klenc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Budapest Marriott Hotel certainly enjoys a perfect location - riverside on the Danube. Within a 5 minute walk is the main pedestrian walking street and certainly within walking distance or short tram ride to most of the Pest tourist attractions. I found the hotel staff very accomodating to any of my requests and the concierge desk was always manned with knowledgeable staff. This hotel is also used by many tour companies, (especially River Cruise's by Tauck and Viking so you know their service must be good.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a room overlooking the Danube.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ronald S
Bergen
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Marriott Budapest s nicely located on the riverside with fantastic views over to the Buda side. The river walk outside is really nice and only a short walk to the shopping streets.

Rooms are ok, but the bathroom definitely needs refurbishment.

Fitness room works nice and got the same river view. Breakfast are very good, but costly.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2012

First let me say I am a long time Marriott Platinum member, have stayed in Marriott hotels all over the world. So I am a bit discerning as to what impresses me or frustrates me.

The Marriott Budapest hotel was the best hotel stay we had on our two week 4 city vacation. We rented 4 rooms for the family and was very pleased with all of the rooms. Even though I was the only Platinum member in the family, the hotel, took very good care of all of my family and upgraded all of the rooms.

Two rooms I can recommend for a family that needs two room, is 1073 and 1073. 1073 is a suite with a hu8ge balcony that has an incredible view of Palace, river and city. It truly was magnificent! 1072 is a connecting room, so effectively made the suite a two bedroom suite.

Get club access! it has a wonderful breakfast, in the morning, great snacks all day long, and hors d'oeuvres for dinner, that if you are not very hungry will take the p0lace of dinner in a pinch! Very-Very worth the cost...

The staff was wonderful and very accommodating (well most of them anyway). The Peppers restaurant was fairly good and we ate there two times, two dinners. The restaurant/bar was the only place where we had a small issue. One of the young ladies on our Sunday morning late breakfast (the restaurant is closed to set-up for a fancy brunch midmorning Sunday's), was very rude and even said several things to me and my wife in the native language with anger. Come to find out, my wife and I who were suffering from jet lag was reading the menu and she had asked us if the menu was ok, and I simply smiled at her and nodded , for which she felt I was being rude. So she decided to cuss (well I can't verify she actually cussed as it was in Hungarian) us out in Hungarian! LOL, I was very shocked as you can imagine, but decided to let it go; even so she came back after we finally got her attention after 20 minutes to try to make an order and she then informed us of how rude we were and that she was not happy with us! I was thinking WOW! I have to admit I am still a bit upset that wait staff in a hotel bar would think it appropriate to correct my interaction (even though I did not really do anything wrong in my mind) with them (in that a big smile and an affirmative nod is not enough for them), but also feel it was appropriate to berate me in anger in her native language! I am not exaggerating here.

But even this episode did not distract from the rest of the experience and I would definitely stay at the hotel again, just not eat or drink at the restaurant bar. I would highly recommend staying here and hope you have a chance to experience the good that my family did! BTW, they can set-up airport transfers and even set-up a wonderful driver to take us to Krakow (which is cheaper if you have at least 4-5 people than the awful overnight train!

Final note: I want to state that Diana Rendek and David Buzas assisted me through our planning and made sure everything was perfect. I wish to commend them both and if Marriott manage reads this, please commend them for their service to your Platinum members.

Room Tip: I loverd the room combination of 1073 and 1072. But 1073 is awesome!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
St. John's, NL, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Great view of the Danube River from all rooms.
Location is good-close to main pedestrian walk through with shops and restaurants.
Our travelling companions had arranged a "tasting menu" (wine/food) while we there-great food-alot of fun-great price.
We booked breakfast with our room which was less expensive than paying for breakfast each morning -great hot/cold buffet with omelette station.
Ask the hotel to recommend the Greek and Italian restaurants that are within walking distance (along the river)-we ate at both and had great food and service at a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria
Reviewed October 8, 2012

What a fantastic city. Have dinner in Spoons restaurant. It is a boat which is docked beside chain bridge. Watch the lights of Buda Castle and chain bridge as you eat wonderful food at great prices. Visit St. STEPHENS Bascillica. Go have a spa treatment in Hotel Saint Gillert. Fantastic.

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Being a fan of the Marriott chain of hotels, when i visited Budapest, i saw a great price for it for the dates I was visiting, and it was located in the perfect place right on the Danube river front. I've never had a bad experience at a Marriott hotel so far.

The location was just absolutely perfect, a few mins walk to quite a few of the sites we wanted to visit (Gresham Palace, Chain Bridge, Budda Bar Restaurant) as well as being within a mile of nearly all the sites on my list.

We rarely had to use the hotel staff (which is a great sign) apart from when ordering dinner in the restaurant named Poppers, where the staff were very polite and quick.

The rooms were very clean. The AC wasn't quite as powerful as we required during the time we went where the temperatures were mid-30's. But it was just about okay enough.

The views from the window at night are just as stunning as the daytime views. The Chain bridge is beautifully lit up.

At the end of our stay in the very early hours of the morning I checked out and ordered a taxi to the airport and, in my tired state, paid the full taxi fare twice. Once at the hotel desk and again to the taxi driver when he dropped us off. I phoned the hotel from the airport soon after and they were happy to refund the desk charge which I thought was very good of them.

Room Tip: All rooms face the river, but try and get a room on the higher floors for the best views of the Danu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple