“A wonderful modern hotel in Budapest”

The Aquincum Hotel Budapest
Ranked #125 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Orinda
“A wonderful modern hotel in Budapest”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We chose Budapest to spend 3 days recovering from longitude adjustment prior to the start of our real tour. We had stayed in the Aquincum on a previous trip, and liked it a lot, and we liked it again this time. Helpful staff, good email communication. We arranged for an airport pickup, and sure enough there was the driver holding a sign with our name on it as we came out of the baggage claim. We had asked if the hotel had been damaged in the Danube flood, and were told that it had not been damaged - and sure enough, the hotel had not been damaged. Good thing too, because a big draw for us was the basement spa with the four thermal pools - hot, warm, cool and jacuzzi. Clean as a whistle. Good little restaurants within a couple of blocks - we recommend Code 7 especially. The hotel is clean and comfy, with a mountainous breakfast buffet. Easy access to walking on Margaret Island. Good public transit connections. Quiet, away from downtown. We'll be back.

Room Tip: We've stayed here 3 times and always had a nice quiet room. The rooms on the riverfront are a l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Douglas R
ManagementBudapest, General Manager at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for recently staying in The Aquincum Hotel Budapest. We highly appreciate that you shared your positive experiences.

We were happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we highly appreciate your loyalty. Thank you that you highligted on the cleanliness of our hotel. We are happy to read your kind comments in regard to our staff and the services provided. Thank you for sharing that your bed met your expectations and it was comfortable. Thank you for your nice comments regarding to the breakfast and spa area.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Gábor Nemes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel was our go to place when we went to Hungary before (we've been here with my husband 5-10 times). However after our last stay we decided that next time we will look for something else.

What is good:
- Pricing (by far the best price for a 5 star hotel in Budapest)
- Reception service
- Cleanliness of the room
- Spa
- Location (easy to access the city, yet not in the city centre)

What we didn't like this last time, and thus decided to try something else:
- Bed - we stayed in the deluxe double room, and our bed was so extremely soft (and so were the pillows), that I could just not sleep at all. I managed to find the frame in the middle of the bed, so I ended up sleeping in the middle, and my husband pushed to the side. I asked the next day if we can change the room. I got the answer that all the rooms have the same type of bed, but what they can do is to put a wood plank under the mattress to make it a bit firmer (now I understand that probably all the time when I came before they had the plank in the bed, as I never had this issue before, and I don't think that the beds were changed). I said, ok, let's do that, however it turned out that all the planks were in rooms and being used, so I had to spend the second night as well in the same way as the first. Not something I want to repeat ever again.
Suggestion to the management: maybe you want to have at least 2 types of mattresses and pillows (soft and firm) to chose from for the guests.
- Bar in the spa: this was lovely before. Before, there was a bar, where you could get fresh juices and fruit shakes, as well as some small sandwiches, etc. Now, since the change of ownership I guess, the bar is still there, but there is noone in it. So if you order at the reception of the spa, they will ask the bar in the lobby to get it done for you, and bring it down. We've waited 20 minutes for 2 fruit shakes... and then we gave up. We told them we don't want it anymore, and went up to our room. 5 minutes later room service brought it to our room. It was kind of nice to get it, however I already said before that I do not want it due to the extremely long time it took them to bring, so I was not happy to take it and pay for it.

Maybe these are small things (although not being able to get a proper sleep in a hotel is a big issue for me), but for us enough not to come back unless we find that we have the same issue in other 5 star hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementBudapest, General Manager at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel.
We were pleased to read that you were satisfied with our price, reception, cleanliness of the hotel, spa and the location.
We regret to learn that you were not satisfied with the bed mattress and we could not offer the right solution.
Please accept our apology for the inconveniences that we caused to you regarding to the fruit shakes. I would like to kindly inform you that the ownership was not changed and please be assured that we tried to operate the bar in the spa.
It is very important for us to understand how effectively we meet our guests' needs. We are constantly able to improve the standards of our services.
I deeply regret to read that you would not like to came back, but I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Aquincum Budapest in the future, we remain with our best regards,

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2013

A friend of mine and I booked this hotel through hotwire.com. We got an excellent rate for a truly five star facility (this rate did not, however, include breakfast). The Hotel Aquincum provided excellent customer service and the staff spoke excellent English. I called ahead and arranged a car to pick us up at the train station and a driver was waiting for us when we arrived. Late check in was no problem. Americans, there is an ice machine (more an ice/water mix but cold). The bathroom was clean and well stocked, the beds comfortable, and the Internet complimentary (although I couldn't get access on my phone; I had better luck plugging my laptop in). We visited the Aphrodite Spa and paid around $140 for a 4 treatment package which would have probably cost us over $250-300 in the US. Reception helped us book tours and gave directions to the bank and the train station (it doesn't look like a metro station, more like a tram station). The breakfast selection was varied, with something for everyone including an omelette station and champagne for those in need of a Mimosa; cost was 13 Euros. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Aquincum and my friend was reluctant to leave.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank R P
Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for choosing us and thank you for sharing your positive experiences.

We were pleased to read that you were happy with your stay at our hotel and we highly appreciate your kind comments in regard to our staff and the services provided. We were happy to read that your room met your expectations, you liked our beds and hotel facilities. Thank you for your nice comments regarding to the breakfast and spa treatments.

All times we do everything to please and even anticipate the needs of our guests. We hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Aquincum Hotel Budapest in the not too distant future, we remain with our best regards,

Banstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My companion and I booked this hotel online from Vienna whilst travelling across Europe by train. We were aiming to stay somewhere cheaper on the Pest side of the river which is the most popular but due to lack of availability and expense we opted for the Aquincum on the Buda side. We're glad we did as for a big hotel it was very good and reasonable value. It was very quiet and comfortable. I believe it is used by coach tours.

The staff were mainly very helpful, polite, attentive and efficient. Particularly Adrienn, one of the receptionists who was the personification of pleasantness and efficiency. It is true that the hotel is a distance from the centre but there is a frequent railway service running alongside the Danube from nearby the hotel which is 4/5 stops to a bridge to the centre. We used the service frequently and were concerned that we'd not paid a penny. On the third day we made an enquiry and discovered that as senior EU citizens there was no charge. So if you're of a similar ilk don't waste your money on taxis (we got tucked up by one from the main station) use the train.

We didn't eat there apart from breakfast which was average. It's amazing how the bread in Vienna was so good but poor in Budapest (and Bucharest). Another advantage of staying at this hotel was that tucked away behind it is an authentic restaurant Kehli Vendeglo where, although the food is average to good, the setting and the general ambience is definitely worth a visit.

I would definitely recommend The Aquincum

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lyeemoon
ManagementBudapest, General Manager at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for recently staying in The Aquincum Hotel Budapest. Thank you for sharing your positive experiences.

We were pleased to read that you were happy with your stay at our hotel and we highly appreciate your kind comments in regard to our staff - especially to Adrienn - and the services provided. We were happy to read that the room, the value for the price paid and our breakfast met your expectations. Thank you for your nice comments.

Moi, Norway
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Question of luck? I guess my opinion about Aquincum Hotel is based in a question of luck.
To start with: 5 Stars Hotel which I would consider more like a 4 stars.

Honestly very easy to arrive, as there is both stops Hev and tram. Both 3 minutes walking from the hotel. You have always to use metro or bus depending on where you come from previously.
The neighborhood is not the most fancy, as there is a small park between the Hotel and the public transport, which their characters around are not the most recommendable if you are not into go for another kind of “trip”. Not recommendable at all to arrive in night time. (Of course they don’t explain that on the hotel brochures ;)

Regarding the building is good-looking and fresh with a big reception hall. Our room was the superior double but superior was not the word to describe and the furniture was not corresponding to a 5 star. Obviously the prices were 5 star: We paid 105nkr for 2 glasses of white house wine and around 130nkr for room service sandwiches around. 23:00h. I attach pictures about the quality of the food (burned toasted bread).

What it did positively surprise me was the wide breakfast served on Sunday. Wow! I can’t describe how many different elements you could find there!
The SPA it also positively surprised me after the whole thing, as I was expecting something ridiculous and it consisted of 2 medicinal warm water swimming pools, Jacuzzi, Kneipp water, inside swimming pool, sauna, steam bath… so the breakfast and the SPA was worth it.

And to conclude with: I guess our whole weekend was a bit affected by the fact of they charged 2 the room, even if they gave us as an excuse a deposit they take “just in case”.
I booked my stay by booking.com, when I got to the hotel I kindly asked that they could already charge the night on my card. They took all my details and made me introduce the pin code. That night already, the amount was discounted from my account, which surprise was the double as I expected. When I went down to the front desk, they told me that they were going to keep that money as an insurance deposit. Surprised I accepted, but next day, talking to a nice old couple in the SPA area, they denied to be charged any deposit by the hotel… In any case, when we left, the front desk manager, assured me that the money was going to be in my account even if they were not going to give me any document were it said so.
When I realized about it, I wrote them an email expressing my disappointment by the whole situation and asking by a better service as we were not satisfied by several points including the sandwiches, which they promised to refund “and never happened”. The only amount refunded was the pending balance from the amount charged in my account, after paying the sandwiches and the two glasses of wine.
Grateful in any case with the receptionist Sunday morning who let us leave 1 hour later (12am and we asked to pay extra of course but they let us just enjoy it) so we could enjoy the SPA facilities early in the morning before leaving.

If you really want a 5 Star Hotel … I don’t recommend Aquincum, sorry… :(

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you for recently staying with us at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest.
We deeply regret to read again that you were not satisfied with our services during your stay. We deeply apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.
I would like to kindly inform you that the district where our Hotel is located is a calm and safe area.
Regarding to the burned toasted bread, I expressed our deepest apology on the 3rd and 4th of July and we refunded the fee of the room service and I sent an invoice about this transaction. I would like to kindly ask you to contact with your bank regarding this issue. Again, please accept our apology.
Regarding to the 5 star rating, we would like to kindly inform you that our Hotel has been awarded with the five star rating of the Hungarian hotel classification system by the Hotelstars and our hotel services and facilities meet the requirements throw the regular controls.
Let me express my deepest apology again for the inconveniences that we caused to you.
Let me draw your kind attention to the fact that requesting for guarantee - either credit card or cash - upon check-in from guests is an official standard, that is used in all Corinthia hotels all over the world. Observing official standards is obligatory for each Corinthia hotel and team members.
Regarding to the deposit, as my colleague wrote, upon arrival your credit card was pre-authorized and upon your check-out procedure we used this blocking. It is a common procedure and your bank should automatically match the two transactions, and re-solve the blocking. Unfortunately it can take a couple of days, it is not an automatical transaction. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience which might have been caused to you.
On the other hand, we highly appreciate your kind comments in regard to our spa and breakfast.
In the hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the in The Aquincum Hotel Budapest not too distant future.

Delta, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel has a very nice lobby when you walk in. It feels quite luxurious . The rooms were nice and there are robes in each room. The spa is my main area of complaint. The warm pools and the jacuzzi had a lot of floating particles in them. It looked like bits of skin. I have my own hot tub and am very fussy with the cleanliness of the water. Also, there is no water dispenser for drinking in the spa/pool areas. If you want cold water while using the sauna or pools, you need to put on your robe and go to the gym. The buffet breakfast was very nice and had an omelette /pancake station.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ManagementBudapest, General Manager at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel and share your experiences.

I deeply regret to learn that you were unsatisfied with the pool in the spa. Please accept our apology and be assured that we check the area several times per day and we try to improve our services.
We were pleased to read that you liked our room, lobby and show kitchen during the breakfast.

Please be assured that we will at all times do everything to please and even anticipate the needs of our guests.
In the hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Aquincum Hotel Budapest in the not too distant future, we remain with our best regards,

Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 9, 2013

After reading some comments I have also to add something. I spent six nights in this hotel and can describe positives and negatives of it.

Positives -
1. Unbeatable price for 5 stars hotel in Budapest
2. You will get really spacious room
3. Bed is comfortable
4. We loved the Spa with thermal water, swimming pool, steam bath and sauna for free

Negatives:
1. Dirty walls - I know it is a problem of a lot of hotels and everything is caused by clients
2. Two sockets did not work
3. Toiletries were not added every day
4. We wanted to change our bathrobes - they were not changed and were thrown on the floor in the entrance corridor of our room
5. Very poor choice of TV channels - only news, nothing more
6. Very awful internet connection - during evening it was not possible to watch videos on youtube even on 256k speed
7. Some clienst in the spa do not follow elementary rules - they "reserved" seats for a whole day, so sometimes it was hard to find two seats next to each other; some tourists also came to pool directly from sauna - without shower - it is really disgusting
8. Restaurant, hotel bar and minibar are overpriced - prices are really extremely high - rather go to near traditional restaurant Kehli with live national music
9. You will have to block 30 EUR per day for possible extras at your account or to pay it cash
10. The oldest receptionist were really non sympathetics - she did not want to help with anytihing and was speaking only Hungarian - it is very unpleasant if somebody speaks about you and you do not understand
11. Pillows are really very bad - it was hard to sleep on them
12. We were disturbed by our neighbours - their normal speaking - and also by neverending flushings of toilets in other rooms
13. Do not spend your money on deluxe rooms - the view over Danube river is not as good as proclaimed - you will see road, railroad and some cranes
14. Everything is very far from the hotel - you will be out of Central Budapest life and have to travel by train, tram or metro.

One month ago I wrote that 3 stars Hampton by Hilton in York, UK, was much more better than some 5 stars hotels in Central Europe. I am very happy I WAS right.

Room Tip: Higher floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Radovan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us a valuable customer's feedback during your recent stay at The Aquincum Hotel Budapest. It is very important for us to understand how effectively we meet our guests' needs.
I deeply regret to learn that you were unsatisfied with your stay in our hotel. Please do accept my apologies and rest assured that I have followed-up with the people in charge to avoid same incident in the future. It indeed is our goal to fulfill or even exceed expectations of our clients. Please be assured that I do take your comments very seriously and we always try to improve the standards of our services.