“Vegan meal in a relaxing atmosphere”

Napfenyes Restaurant and Confectionery
Ranked #207 of 3,774 Restaurants in Budapest
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Napfényes Restaurant welcomes everyone who would like to try authentic Hungarian cuisine and international dishes prepared veg-style. Napfényes has the widest range of vegan à la carte dishes in town, offering dairy free, gluten free and even raw options to customers with special needs. Daily menus (from 11:30 am till 5 pm), Chef's choice for the weekend, soups, pizzas, pastas, a salad bar, fresh juices and smoothies are here to impress you. Come with an empty stomach to have room for a treat after your meal: in the pastry section you will find delicious cakes and vegan ice-cream. Check the music and dance programmes in the event hall, or rent the hall out for private events.
Reviewed July 21, 2016

I came across Napfényes Étterem és Cukrászda, because I stayed very close in "Maverick Hostel". I'm not vegan, but the welcoming pavement café I couldn't resist, I had some soft-drinks, the service was very pleasant, so for the second time I went inside and had lunch.
I ordered a "Mediterán Sálata". It tasted good, unfamiliar. What I disliked was the cheese on the top, it blanketed the beautiful salad. The eye must be pleased as well.
Waiters and waitresses are very good, patient, personable and professional.
The interior design is very enjoyable, calmative and relaxing. The tables are laid accurately: tablecloth and nice tableware.
In front you can get vegan pastry and icecream. A cone of delicious ice-cream compleated my meal.
The price level, I reckon, is quite reasonable, HUF 2000 all in all for a lunch is quite acceptable.

Date of visit: June 2016
Write a reviewReviews (949)

Reviewed July 15, 2016

Service was fast helpful and accurate. Food was typical bland vegan food with no stand out qualities. Pretty cheap.

Reviewed July 15, 2016

This Vegan restaurant is my first vegan meal experimentation and I can tell you that it was great! I didn't know there were so many variety of taste while suppressing meat and product from animals exploitation. I was really hungry and scared to eat only plants but the dish have big portions and are delicious.

Reviewed July 14, 2016 via mobile

From my experience in Budapest, I found that vegan/vegetarian food was very, very limited. The national cuisine seems to encompass a lot of meat-heavy dishes which obviously reflects the restaurant market.

As I love eating in different restaurants around the world, particularly sampling their vegan offers, I had high hopes for this restaurant. After-all, it is currently rated #32 out of the whole of Budapest. The first thing I noticed was just how vast the menu was. Having worked in restaurants in the past, I know that having a huge menu only creates issues for the kitchen and quality is inevitably compromised. I spent a good 15 minutes trying to decide what to eat! In the end I went for the falafel platter, and my boyfriend the Hungarian vegan sausage pizza. Personally, I was underwhelmed by the food. The falafel certainly didn't resemble anything I knew of falafel, and the pitta served with it seemed stale. The food just seemed to be a bit sad looking in general. Salad was a bit limp and lifeless, and the sauces accompanying it were bland.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't inedible, but it just wasn't great. My boyfriends pizza was quite nice though, and they seemed to use a good quality vegan cheese.

I did get one of the cakes for dessert which was absolutely delicious though, the sponge was soft and fluffy, and the chocolate icing was sweet and moreish without being cloying.

The service here brings no real complaints. It did take us a while just standing there for us to get seated, but once we were seated it was prompt, friendly and efficient.

I would probably return here if back in Budapest, all things considered. I'd probably try something from the menu that was more traditionally Hungarian, as maybe they fare better at veganising local cuisine rather than Middle Eastern. Also, with the bill being so cheap (came to the equivalent of £18 for two people), you can't really grumble.

1  Thank jhm349
Reviewed July 11, 2016

We went there for the dinner, I absolutely loved it!!!! Food is sooooo good! We had menu for 2 ppl, was amazing, I got the sponge dessert and its OMG melted in my mouth and it was so good! And the milkshakes there! Wow! Stuff is very friendly, smiling and helping with explaining what is in the menu :) I highly recommending!

1  Thank Akvile S