“Excellent alternative to Gerbaud”

Szamos Gourmet Haz - Vaci utca
Ranked #20 of 198 Dessert in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed April 3, 2013

If you fancy good quality for a decent price and in a great location, then this is your place. Szamos originally operates cafe houses but here you can have proper lunch for reasonable prices (6 euro for lunch menu of 2 courses). If you want to avoid the tourist traps, these cafes are all over the city, even in the outskirts. The building itself is superb, it used to house the first stock exchange in Budapest. If you pass by the counter to the left, you enter a smaller room from where you can watch through the huge window glass the team builders/bd party people preparing marzipan roses. The little girl next to our table was glued to the window, she is right it is fun to watch others. My friend comes here for the goulash soup, it is decent though the colour could show more paprika. I chose somloi galuska, Szamos is the only place where you can never fail this traditional cake. Also, try the cake with the plum in the middle!

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This is a very popular cafe that has beautiful cakes and chocolates. The soup was as good as any I have had in fine dining restaurants. The only complaint would be that the hot chocolate was only luke warm. Lovely cafe where you can watch chocolate being tempered while you eat. Would go back.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

On a bitterly cold Monday morning Mrs D and I were looking for somewhere to enjoy a coffee and cake. We seemed destined to use the McCafe, but persevered and thankfully found Szamos Gourmet Haz a few steps further along Vaci Utca.

Stepping into the salon was like stepping back in history to a period at once far more refined and elegant. The colourful tiled panels on the wall shone with a pristine shine and it was only after a quick double-take that we realised that they depicted ladies wearing china plates and teapots as clothes, reminiscent of Vivienne Westwood's use of carpets for clothes in the Brinton's Carpet advertisements.

We had only stopped for coffee, but were (all too) easily seduced by the cakes and pastries on offer. The choice was difficult, but in the end we both had a simple cream slice, and whilst Mrs D had coffee, I had hot chocolate.

The cream slices were heavenly - crisp pastry top and bottom with a beautifully light creme patissiere filling. Mary Berry, eat your heart out!

Our drinks came with a small tumbler of water, and my hot chocolate was accompanied with a tiny dish of whipped cream and a jug of hot creamy milk.

To anyone who has not tried real hot chocolate, this place is a must. The chocolate for my drink was prepared using a 70% cocoa butter chocolate, not the ersatz stuff that masquerades as hot chocolate elsewhere, and was almost thick enough for my spoon to stand upright unsupported. Combined with the hot milk and whipped cream, the drink was a chocoholic's heaven, chocolatey and sweet without a hint of bitterness, enough to keep at bay the coldest day.

The staff at Szamos' were unfailing polite and informative about the chocolate they use, clearly appreciating the interest we took in their ingredients and preparation. Had we not already packed our cases for departure later that day, I would have certainly brought home some of their chocolates.

My test for any establishment is would I ever go back there, even to the point of making a special trip? In this case it is the most affirmative yes.

1  Thank Mezentia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had soup and salad here after shopping in the Vaci area. It felt like being in a 19 th century cafe. The Goulash soup was nice on a cold and rainy day. My husband and I split a salad which was so big that I am glad that we did share it. We also bought some blackberry jam and some creamy looking spread. The blackberry jam is tart since Hungarians like their desserts this way. The cream is nice but am not so sure what breads to spread it on. Cake perhaps. This is a good place for local color. There was a bridal party that came in for picture taking.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

From the ecstatic reviews on Tripadvisor we had very high expectations of this restaurant. We went there for lunch, after some time searching for the place since we thought it was the Szamos Marcipan Restaurant (which is really a pastry shop, not a restaurant) and not the Gourmet Palace. Google maps did not know about this restaurant, it sent us to the pastry shop. Once we found it, everything started OK as there was space and we were quickly seated. The waitress was polite and efficient. My wife's goulash soup was mediocre (we had one that was much better elsewhere) - undercooked potatoes and meat, not much flavor. My sandwich of Hungarian sausage (much like chorizo) and vegetables was good although a surprising combination of ingredients. However, we came more for the coffee and dessert and this is where things were less than expected. My wife had a cappuccino that was not properly made (no chocolate flakes) and her almond cake was heavy, unrefined and overly sweet. She could not finish it as it was like eating pure butter and sugar mixed together. My chocolate truffle cake was edible, a bit heavy, too sweet and lacking the good dark chocolate quality I was looking for. So, my wife was quite disappointed and I was OK but not overly impressed with the meal. We certainly do not consider the pastry to be anything special unless you like overly sweet and heavy cakes. I can only assume most people do like that sort of dessert, so if you do, perhaps you will like it. If you are a fan of fine quality French or Austrian pastry, this is not what we found...