“Baciamo le mani for food but not for service”
Review of La Coppola

La Coppola
Ranked #136 of 3,375 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Siculus coquus et Sicula mensa...that is the Sicilian cook and Sicilian table. According to a Roman saying this is the secret to a healthy life. They came, saw and conquered: the Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Arabs, Normans, Angevins, Hapsburgs, the Bourbons...Yes, every one of them! All these people, they left something in Sicily - Trinacria, for example, belonging to Greek mythology, the Gorgon in the middle and the three legs as tips to protect the island. The Arabs, skilled breeders of goats and lambs, and with them their milk, processed caciocavallo, provola pecorino. The testimony of the Saracens from the "sweet tooth" in Sicily is a legacy left by the nuns who handed down the memory, and it is thanks to them that today we have the real dough, cassata and Siculus coquus et Sicula mensa "cannoli". With the succession of all these peoples, Sicily today has a very diverse cultural heritage, that leaves a lasting impression for life, the memories of all those travelers who have had the opportunity and the chance to visit it. Between the oleanders and colorful bougainvillea, under the shade of the thick foliage of olive trees, savoring the delicacies of Sicilian cuisine, including fresh fish of the sea, the warm sun that enriches and gives an unmistakable flavor to fruits and vegetables, sipping her wine noblest, is unforgettable. Equally memorable are the inhabitants of this fantastic island, famous for their warm welcome and availability, full of life, with their kindling a sense of humor, with the inimitable "coppola" placed on their heads, with a joyful noise you preach good appetite. This atmosphere we are ready to offer here in Budapest! "Baciamo le mani!"(kind of typical Sicilian regards) Salvo Sgroi and La Coppola Team
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Food is perfect and fresh, but service is very, very slow. We were waiting for bill for half an hour :(

1  Thank DijanaZagreb
Salvo S, Proprietario at La Coppola, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Hi,
My name is Salvo Sgroi and I am the owner, the restaurant on the day of your visit was really full, I personally apologize for what happened.
We hope to welcome you soon in our restaurant and this time I'll bring the bill before you order! ;)
best regards
Salvo Sgroi and La Coppola Team

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor, expectations were high for our weekday evening visit.

The place itself is very nicely decorated, with a traditional trattoria style mixed with a modern European look. The lower floor is fairly small, but the tables are generously spaced. Small details are well taken care of; the menus are beautifully presented in line with the rest of the decor and tableware.

The wine list is good value, and the cheaper end undercuts the best Italian restaurants in Budapest noticeably. Similarly, the comprehensive menu offers great choice, at what appears to be lower prices that the best Budapest has to offer.

So far, everything appears to be excellent. However, the food isn't up to the mark to make this a regular place for me. There was a lack of presentation and thought with the starters - much Italian food is simply great ingredients presented beautifully and with some element dressing or other such culinary embellishment. What we got was lacklustre quality ingredients with minimal thought applied.

The mains were, to be honest, just okay. The pizza was notable for the avalanche of cheese that had been used, which rather spoilt the pizza. I could hardly taste the tomato sauce or the dough, which judging by the edge of the pizza were rather good. I would recommend if pizzas are ordered that you specify half the cheese, or less. I'm not sure what kind of cheese it even was - it tasted rather salty to be pure mozzarella.

The desserts, I suspect, were bought-in. Nevertheless they were good.

Service was pleasant, friendly, and efficient rather than polished. Service charge was added to the bill.

To say this is not a good restaurant would be unfair - it's perfectly adequate. However, there's nothing drawing me back since there are much better Italian restaurants in Budapest, albeit slightly more expensive.

1  Thank Suki B
Salvo S, Proprietario at La Coppola, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you Sir for your careful review,
By reading the other reviews written on other Italian restaurants, I understood where, according to your criteria, we have failings.
would point out a few points:
1 - the style of Coppola is that of a typical Sicilian restaurant, family atmosphere, beautifully presented dishes without much ceremony, pomp, we focus more on the quality and freshness of the products!
2 - on pizza, we only use 100% Italian mozzarella, in strict accordance with the recognition (Italian hospitality in the world) received from the Italian Chamber of Commerce for Hungary
3 - the desserts are not bought, they are all made by us!
4 - we think we are more than a good restaurant, We are Trattoria La Coppola!
Arrivederci e grazie!
Salvo Sgroi

Reviewed January 14, 2013

For Hungarian standards a bit expensive but for dutch standards very very good vallue for money.
We had a 4 course NYE menu wich was exquisit. Very good wines and lovely deserts.

1  Thank Len M
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I dined in "La Coppola" at New Year's Eve with my wife and I found the atmosphere warm, welcoming, with lovely live music band. Waiters on average.
The fixed menu variety was a good mix between fish and meet dishes. Food in itself was good and the presentation positive.
Salvo, the owner, is good in welcoming and entertaining his guests without being invasive. He has got excellent problem solving skills. When I made reservation over the phone on the morning of Dec 31st, nobody told me it was a special New Year's Eve fixed menu. I was wrong too because I did not ask this question. When we arrived there we discovered it was fixed menu for 87 Eur each, drinks excluded.
As I said previously, the overall experience was great but the constructive feedback I feel to give to management is that is mandatory to provide full information of the conditions of a special night like New Year's Eve, especially when reservation is made over the phone. If I knew in advance about 4 course menu at 87 Eur pp I would not accepted. I think too expensive for Budapest.
But Salvo was good because once he understood our disappointment for the misinformation, he offered us a complimentary bottle of wine.

Salvo S, Proprietario at La Coppola, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

" If I knew in advance about 4 course menu at 87 Eur pp I would not accepted. I think too expensive for Budapest."

Dear Stefano, thanks for your witty review but let me give you some information about Budapest, especially on New Year's Eve dinner.
1 - We are an Italian restaurant and maintaining high quality in a country different than your "costs money"
2 - One of the 4 courses included a t-bone steak of about 700/800 gr, now try to relate this to a normal menu (40 Euro ) and once again with a new year's eve menu (4 courses with welcome drink 84 Euro).
Happy New Year
Salvo Sgroi and Coppola Team

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We called in here by accident while out sightseeing on New Years Eve and I am glad we did. The soup was delicious, the Pizza light and tasty and the panne cotta was superb. All for 15000 huf (£45) with drinks. A great place to eat.