“Great restaurant, good location, good service.”
Review of Gepard es Urhajo - CLOSED

Gepard es Urhajo
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant, good location, good service.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had 2 meals in this restaurant during out stay in Budapest last week. Both excellent meals and really good value. Goats cheese starter was excellent. Main course of either duck or pork loin was super with well cooked local vegetables. Dessert of cottage souffle was divine. Restaurant was not busy on either occasion with only about 6 other diners. There are about 8 outside tables with view towards Danube with castle on hill on other side of river. Road is a bit busy between restaurant and river with also a passing tram line but that adds to atmosphere. Service was good but the second time the waiter tried to steer us towards the expensive wine options. We had already seen that mentioned in other Tripadvisor reviews and firmly told him we wanted the good value Velovits local Rose wine at 3150Ft rather than the wine he wanted to push us at nearly 5000Ft. Total bill for 3 courses and wine for 2 came to about 14000Ft ( about £43) which was good considering standard of food. Would happily recommend to any visitors in Budapest

2 Thank marklucey

• Hungarian first
Budapest, Hungary
“Simple ingredients makes for the most delicious dishes!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We just visited this restaurant this evening and were the only patrons because we made reservations to have dinner at a rather early hour. We both had the grilled goat's cheese with the salad of pear and melon (strawberry season must be over) that was absolutely wonderful. If you are usually not a fan of goat's cheese, this starter will definitely bring you over!

As a main dish, I had the lamb roast with an interesting combination of garlic potatoes and kohlrabi ragout that resembled a crustless quiche, very tasteful!
My partner had the week's special of crusty duck leg with cabbage sauteed in red wine with potato gratin which was also wonderful.

The portions are more than satisfactory, don't expect large heaps of meat, but rather a perfectly proportioned plate, leaving just enough space for a fine dessert: the week's special Island float dessert (meringue on crème anglaise).

Our waiter was very friendly, although I found it a bit weird that he had taken my empty plate away while my husband was still eating, but all in all we we're feeling very giddy to have such delicious and simple food at very reasonable prices. Bit of a shame though that they did not have large bottles of water, only small ones, I was very thirsty!

We have lots of other restaurants on our to-do list, but we would warmly recommend this restaurant without missing a beat!

1 Thank Iris M
Bulgaria
“Nice restaurant by Danube”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Really good food. Must try food in Budapest. Will be back. Friendly, nice and tasty! Had cucumber salad, smoked ham salad, veal paprikash, pork with wild mushrooms and pea risotto and goat cheese and strawberry salad. All recommended!

• Visited July 2013
“Wonderful quiet atmosphere, great food, surprising wine!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

After one week in Bdpst trying many of the places highly ranked in Tripadvisor, this was definetly the best option. Wine tasting as a welcome, wonderful local fish, very kind service, fair prices...I will definetly come back!

Prague
“Waiter over selling expensive wines”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I visited the restaurant yesterday with a date. I liked the place, and the food was good. The portions large and filling, prices reasonable. My main course was tenderloin of pork with a rissotto with peas - and it was served with mushrooms. The meat was good and well prepared and the rissotto was delicious.
But the waiter was pushing expensive wines too eagerly. We had chosen a mid range wine (price wise), but when I ordered it, the waiter asked if he could give some advice. I asked if there was anything wrong with my choise, and there wasn't, but he would like to recommend something - costing exactly the double price. That was too expensive, so I asked about another, cheaper wine, and of course it wasn't in stock. I insisted on having the original choice, and it was fine!
Then he did exactly the same thing at our neighbouring table - and the people asked us afterwards what was going on? He seemed to be very eager to push only the most expensive wines, and he more or less left us sitting with a feeling that we were too cheap on our dates - that went for both myself and the other couple next to us.
So even though I liked the food and the view, I'll not be back. I don't appreciate being pushed like that and being made look cheap in front of my date.

2 Thank Laus S