“A home from home!”

Ranked #432 of 3,204 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Scottish, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Caledonia Budapest, a Scottish pub. We are a village pub in the heart of Budapest, where you can have pint or two with your friends - or with your work mates, where you can watch your favourite team playing football, rugby or you name it. We are lucky to have so many nice customers, coming back year after year to experience what the Caledonia is: a cosy, home from home "local". What we offer is a great choice of whisky - truly the largest whisky selection you can find in Budapest. Also we have Belhaven beer on draught, with a selection of Hungarian and Czech lager. We also have a good, tasty kitchen, offering burgers, fish and chips, pies and British style sausages. Yes, we also have a full Scottish Breakfast, and yes, we serve Haggis too. Who is behind the Caledonia? I tell you: it's Patrick McMenamin, a Scottish guy from Edinburgh, and Zsuzsanna Bozo, a Hungarian. And a few more Hungarian staff to serve you. You have more question? Did you like your visit? Would you recommend us to your friends? Please do tell us.
Reading, United Kingdom
“A home from home!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Were there end of October, first day we arrived, we just needed food.... so we went on the hunt. In the past, somehow, my gf has always found a Scottish pub no matter where we were... today was no exception, but I'm so glad she did! As soon as I saw the steak on the menu, I had to have it... and I didn't regret it... so much so, that we went back 5 times for food here as a mixture of Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (we tried a lot of other places too don't worry). But this place is brilliant! Attentive employees, and talking to the owners, they are very enthusiastic about what they are doing there.
The Chef is a genius! We happened to be there when he was making some dishes for the Christmas menu (to test).... they were fantastic! His knowledge of the food, and the flavours and textures are something that would expect from a fine dining establishment! People.... You have to go here in December!! You will love the Christmas menu!!!!
All in all, a cracking place that I know I would return to if I were back in the area! Go check it out :-)

• Visited October 2012

• Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Awful! Possibly worst meal out ever”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We went there today 8th nov,I ordered a cheese burger and when It arrived it was raw... No one asked if everything was ok or if we needed sauces or salt n pepper. I got up to tell them, didn't even get an apology just that another would come... Which I wasn't really bothered about as by now my boyfriend had pretty much finished his... When it arrived again it was still raw and the waiter did not come back to check things were ok which they clearly were not even when the plates were cleared. It left me feeling pretty queasy... I'm sure all places are allowed an off day for cooking but the service was not great either!we paid for the food however had we been in the uk I would not have paid!punter be wary.

2 Thank Ellie W
New York, New York, United States
“Great Pub in Budapest”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We ate here our first night in Budapest after a long drive. The food was very good. We got burgers which were different than we were used to but still good and fish and chips which were amazing. Great place to watch sports and enjoy a drink and good meal. The deserts we got were great as well.

• Visited October 2012
Budapest, Hungary
“Very cool place in the heart of Budapest - lot of expats”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Caledonia is a great bar not too far from Octogon and tram 4-6. They have a variety of beers on the tap and a selection of whiskey. The staff is really cool. On game days you can follow your team on one of those large LCD TVs. You can tell from the accent that there is always someone from the UK there - it is a well know place amongst British and American expats.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Shabba S
Paphos, Cyprus
“Really friendly pub with good food”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is a great bar with a good selection of whisky and beers. The food is really nice, especially the goulash soup and the full Scottish breakfast. In a week's visit, we came here to eat three times so that says it all, especially in a foodtastic city like Budapest! Patrick the owner is a really friendly and helpful guy and all of the bar staff were welcoming. If you are looking for somewhere to watch football, this is your place, with loads of different games on and a good atmosphere to watch them in. All in all a friendly bar with nice food and a good selection of drinks.

• Visited August 2012