“Nice and cosy, delicious chocolate”

BARbar Cafe & Chocolate
Ranked #53 of 149 Dessert in Budapest
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Located in the most peaceful part of District V in a small side street of Vaci Utca (Papnovelde utca 3.), BARBar Cafe & Chocolate is THE BEST chocolateria in this town! The owners, a young couple named Viki and Tomi, are very enthusiastic about the cafe and their aim is to make the guests utterly at home and relaxed in their cafe.The philosophy behind it is: using only high-quality ingredients for the preparation of coffees, lemonades and chocolates. For the chocolate drinks they buy real Belgian Callebaut chocolate (dark 70%, milk 47% or white 28% chocolate pastilles and not powder that is sued in most other Budapest cafes). The freshly made lemonade drinks (in ajam jar) are very refreshing on a sultry summer day. You can also have snacks, should you feel peckish: try the various spreads (aubergine spread, Italian pesto, spiced tomato cream). BARBar Cafe has laid-back atmosphere with warm colors and creative furnishing (refurbished Singer sewing machines serve as tables).
Ghent, Belgium
“Nice and cosy, delicious chocolate”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

A friend recommended this place and I checked the reviews on Tripadvisor. If you like chocolate, this bar is highly recommended. I drank the hot white chocolate with almond snippets, and the hot dark (70%) chocolate with rum. The first was incredible, the second was good but not mindblowing. The staff was very friendly though they didn't come upstairs to take our orders (they did bring our drinks to our table). This wasn't a big problem as it wasn't busy at the time, but I can imagine it getting pretty crowded downstairs when the bar is full of people and they all want to order. All in all a very enjoyable experience.

PS if you're in for a snack, they also have nachos!

• Visited November 2013

• Polish first
Budapest
“A blessed place!”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have read about Babar Bar at Trip Advisor so I went there to see if it was as good as they said.
IT WAS!!! The friendly owners welcomed me to their cosy 3-floor cafe. The chocolade was probably the best I have ever tasted! I stronngly recommend this place, choose a seat in the upper floor.

Visited November 2013
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
“Loved the Atmosphere, Hated the Service”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I love quirky, off-the-beaten-path cafés with character, and BARbar did not disappoint. The atmosphere is very funky with a bit of sass, and the hot chocolate (I got milk with orange and cinnamon) was thick and delicious. However, we had the rudest service. Usually, I'm not one to complain about service, and especially not in a review of the establishment itself, but this was too out of the ordinary. Our waiter (I don't think he was part of the couple that runs the place) gave one-word, condescending answers to me when I inquired about the menu, slammed menus down when we asked for extras, and exuded an attitude that made it clear that he would rather be doing anything else in the world than dealing with us. He even turned off the Internet when we were the only customers in the café (there was one other table when we arrived, and when we heard them leave our Internet shut off, and only turned back on when we heard more people arrive), which I've never heard of anyone doing. To make matters worse, he was really, really nice to the next couple that came in, who asked for the same things I did (favorites on the menu, what he recommended) and got detailed recommendations from him.

However, I still loved the atmosphere and content of the café, so that's why I'm still giving 4 stars. Definitely pay this place a visit.

• Visited October 2013
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Very tasty!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We went to this café after reading reviews on Tripadvisor and it did not disappoint! We both had milk hot chocolates which were very yummy indeed. The atmosphere was cosy and the staff friendly also. Free wifi too which was a nice added touch! A café to go to if you're planning a visit to Budapest.

Fort William, United Kingdom
“Fab quirky little place - you must visit!!”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My teenage daughter (who loves chocolate!) decided we had to go here one afternoon so we duly complied!!
I was delighted! It is really funky and the service was great! Lots of options... Funny quotes about chocolate on the walls.
I had a mint green tea hot punch - really tasty - very unusual! The kids had milkshakes which they thoroughly enjoyed and I can't remember what my husband had!
There is an area for young children to play and it is quite small and intimate for a romantic date!!
Highly recommended!