“Best hot chocolate ever”

BARbar Cafe & Chocolate
Ranked #17 of 205 Dessert in Budapest
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Located in the most peaceful part of District V in a small side street of Vaci Utca (Papnovelde utca 3.), BARBar Cafe & Chocolate is THE BEST chocolateria in this town! The owners, a young couple named Viki and Tomi, are very enthusiastic about the cafe and their aim is to make the guests utterly at home and relaxed in their cafe.The philosophy behind it is: using only high-quality ingredients for the preparation of coffees, lemonades and chocolates. For the chocolate drinks they buy real Belgian Callebaut chocolate (dark 70%, milk 47% or white 28% chocolate pastilles and not powder that is sued in most other Budapest cafes). The freshly made lemonade drinks (in ajam jar) are very refreshing on a sultry summer day. You can also have snacks, should you feel peckish: try the various spreads (aubergine spread, Italian pesto, spiced tomato cream). BARBar Cafe has laid-back atmosphere with warm colors and creative furnishing (refurbished Singer sewing machines serve as tables).
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I don't normally like hot chocolate but I tried here based on the reviews. I tried the white chocolate and it was amazing. It doesn't look much from the outside but inside is fantastic. Would recommend for everyone to try at least once.

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Owner very friendly Went here after reading reviews on Trip advisor The Lemonades with gin etc very refreshing and looked good in jamjars the chocolates were extremely sweet and would not recommend unless you have a very sweet tooth but certainly an experience ! Food is very basic and very little choice .

2  Thank Chris A
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We sought out BARbar off the back of some of the reviews I'd come across on here, and we are so glad that we did. The hot chocolate is divine! To quote my fiance after his first sip, 'it's like drinking your dreams!'. :-)

The cafe itself is lovely, eclectic and cosy, with a nice, chilled vibe and a cool little bit upstairs at the back with floor cushions and low tables. The chap who served us, (who may have been the co-owner?) was really friendly and helpful.

As already mentioned, the hot chocolate is probably the nicest I've ever had - thick, luxurious, creamy, sooo indulgent... they're clearly made with real, good quality chocolate and with fresh fruits, spices etc. not powders and syrups. I had the dark chocolate with orange and ginger the first day, followed by milk choc with sour cherry the next. My partner had the milk choc with strawberries and then white choc with coconut. All of them were gorgeous and highly recommended.

The lemonades, served in large jam jars and crammed with fruit are wonderfully refreshing too. We had the strawberry one and it was delicious. We ordered some toasted sandwiches on our first visit, which were also scrummy, and the lemonade was perfect with the food. Everything was excellent value.

We can't rave about this place enough; it's an absolute must visit on yor trip to Budapest. As I mentioned, we went there twice and it's a shame that it's not open on Sundays or we'd have returned for a final drink then too!

I believe it's open 13.00-21.00 Monday-Saturday. Now go! :-)

Thanks BARbar for helping make our trip awesome!

1  Thank DiSnuff
Reviewed March 12, 2013

BARbar is hidden away and well worth finding.
The outside almost makes it look closed, but, open the door and a whole new world opens up.
The decor etc is intriguing and different with great pictures on the walls.
We ordered hot chocolate with almonds, asked if they did cakes and the guy said you won't need a cake after the hot chocolate. How right he was the chocolate was the best ever.
We finished with a lemonade pot, as recommended by another Trip advisor reviewer, it is a really good idea.
You must not miss this place if you like hot chocolate, it is brilliant.

1  Thank chenies
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The BEST chocolate we've ever tasted. Very polite and friendly.Unique decoration.
It would be my everyday place if I was a local citizen

1  Thank KYRIAKOS80